Sponsored by:

Classic Impreza vs 04 plate Bentley conti GT

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2006, 07:17 PM
ade_sti
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Classic Impreza vs 04 plate Bentley conti GT

My Impreza has approx 290 bhp & 300 Ib/ft torque and my friends Bentley has 525 bhp. We were both doing 60 mph & both accelerated at the same time to see what would happen. To both our disbelief my car actually started to pull away very slightly. He only pulled back the gap when we were approaching 155mph and at 160 on the clock I backed off as nothing really left and he was now starting to pull away as i was running out of revs, and his car does nearly 200mph.

He could not believe it and nor could I to be honest, as we both thought he would waste me. OK his car has better top speed and is beautiful inside and outside but not bad goin for a 7 grand car.

Not sure how accurate the impreza's speedo is but my mate told me that his speedo was also showing close to 160 when he started to pull away. Am sure that his speedo would be quite accurate though.

And yes this was done on a closed air field. Not into racing on road as too dangerous.

Last edited by ade_sti; 30 July 2006 at 07:56 PM.
Old 30 July 2006, 07:42 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what mods have you done to your car to get 160mph? have you changed the gear ratios for a highter top end?

my 95 wrx has been to around 145 but then i got a little scared so backed off and there wasnt much left on it to be honest.

andy.
Old 30 July 2006, 07:54 PM
ade_sti
Scooby Regular

I did not think it would do nearly 160, but it showed on the speedo mate and my friend verified this on his car. Mods done on engine:-

Prodrive perforance pack (sti ecu)
full HKS exhaust with center decat
decat down pipe
sti filter
light weight helix flywheel and uprated clutch
running 1.2 bar

Just had gear box fully rebuilt as well.

Am sure many people will tell me the car cannot do this speed

Last edited by ade_sti; 30 July 2006 at 07:56 PM.
Old 30 July 2006, 08:37 PM
miltski
Scooby Regular

recently i got 140 on the gps but my speedo was reading 150 odd, perhpas haps your speedo was slightly out, not saying you wasn't going that fast, but i was also aware recently when doing exactly 100 (road angel) and my speedo was reading nearly 110,
very cool to be that close to a bentley and it not waste you!
Old 30 July 2006, 10:19 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

Having:

a) owned a scooby with exactly the same power you quote
b) now owning a 450bhp Audi RS6 and
c) having convoyed for about 250 miles through france with a Conti GT last month and had quite a few spirited blasts similar to your description above

my conclusion is

a) you're mate's car needs to go to the garage for a check up
b) he was playing with you or
c) you're making it up

From 60-100 I imagine it might have been fairly close, but from 100mph the Conti would blow you off the road. The one I played with wasn't far off the acceleration of the RS6, and believe me when I say you wouldn't stand a chance.

My old 300bhp WRX was pathetic above 100/110 mph.
Old 30 July 2006, 11:01 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

One of the instructors at oulton is also Bentley's senior tester.

He brings customers to the track regularly; we know how deceptively quick they really are.

The Bentley is serious kit, and I have to say that Ed isn't talking though his ****.

Furthermore, noting you're from the Wirral, please don't drive like this on any road (airfiled, cough ) that I'm likely to be on with my kids in the car.
Old 30 July 2006, 11:11 PM
ade_sti
Scooby Regular

Sorry you all feel this way but it is actually true. And as I said by 155 it was all over as he was pulling away. My car is very quick after 100, not sure why your wrx was not.

We all have our own opinions cheers for replies.

ED - is true mate , sorry if you think I am making it up.

RRH - thanks for advice - you may now step off the soap box.

cheers

I am sorry I even bothered to post this, as I was actually just trying to make a point that impreza's are a performance bargin, as this is a forum for Subaru enthusiasts.

I have now concluded in Ed style that:-

a) I must be a liar - and probably don't even own a Subaru.
b) my car actually has 100 bhp at the steering wheel
c) I only drive on the Wirral because I am from here
d) If I try to drive on any roads out of the Wirral area my car turns itself off.
e) Ed does not talk out of his ****
f) RRH has kids
g)An instructor drives a Bentley
h) And finally why have I even bothered to post this as all you ever get from everyone is loads of stick. Cheers - what a great forum this is

Last edited by ade_sti; 30 July 2006 at 11:30 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 30 July 2006, 11:18 PM
Kosy
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fast as your car is, i agree with Ed... the Bentley must be f**ked
Old 30 July 2006, 11:21 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Old 30 July 2006, 11:31 PM
ade_sti
Scooby Regular

Old 30 July 2006, 11:42 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kosy
Fast as your car is, i agree with Ed... the Bentley must be f**ked
Of course, all these people have read loads and loads about these two cars, so you have to forgive them for knowing better than you, ade..
Old 30 July 2006, 11:45 PM
ade_sti
Scooby Regular

I understand this, and am sorry for thinking that I knew better. I willl leave now and go back to the Saxo Sports Club Forum.
Old 30 July 2006, 11:52 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

His car weighs a whole tonne more than yours.
Old 30 July 2006, 11:59 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Perhaps he genuinely has a problem with his car? Maybe the pedal won't go all the way into the 3inch thick flock carpet

Bubba, as I said, I've owned a modified WRX with the exact same power figures, and I've gone up against a Conti GT in almost identical situation to the above from Calais almost to Reims in my current car, so I know what I'm talking about.

I'm not denying for a second the Subaru being a perfomance bargain - I owned one - I'm just saying that the numbers just don't stack up.

Edit - I also just looked in evo which gives the Conti a 0-100 of only 12.0 but that doesn't tell the whole story, its the way it carries on up to 180+ that is the main difference with the straight line performance of a 300bhp WRX, regardless of the weight of the Bentley.

Ade it's nothing personal mate, but my estimation is that you'd need at least another 40-50bhp to start troubling the bentley in a straight drag. All just IMHO

Last edited by Edcase; 31 July 2006 at 12:08 AM.
Old 31 July 2006, 12:05 AM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
His car weighs a whole tonne more than yours.
But 252 more horses. (Conti GT has 552 not 525 as stated above).

My RS6 is almost 2 tonnes and 'only' 450bhp but believe me it will bring a tear of laughter to the eyes of the owner of a 300bhp WRX as it disappears from sight in a rolling drag

The Conti was pretty much on my tail through France during our impromptu bursts of acceleration, hence my deductions.
Old 31 July 2006, 12:06 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

My import is fitted with a South East Transmissions re-destrictor, so that might have something to do with this....but 101mph on my speedo is 100mph on my gps.
Old 31 July 2006, 12:11 AM
ade_sti
Scooby Regular

Ed- fair play mate, just tellin you how it was- my mistake 552 it is . We both had 2 passengers in the car and my brother was one of them in the Conti. After we pulled over ny brother told me that my mate was not impresssed as he had just spent 85k on the car, and he was really going for it. Trust me mate this guy would rather crash than be beat by a 7 grand jap car. Before this he had a Vanquish, Lambo Mercealago(spelt wrong), Ferrari 360, SL 500 to name a few.

If it is true what you say then he does need to go the garage.

Last edited by ade_sti; 31 July 2006 at 12:19 AM.
Old 31 July 2006, 01:03 AM
94impreza
Scooby Regular

My RS6 is almost 2 tonnes and 'only' 450bhp but believe me it will bring a tear of laughter to the eyes of the owner of a 300bhp WRX as it disappears from sight in a rolling drag
That doesn't make sense though. 300BHP with 1200kg ( i believe) IE 1.2 ton means about 240BHP per ton. RS6 2.0 ton @450BHP means 225BHP per ton. Unless i'm missing something major here the scoob should pull away from the RS6. Who cares anyway as soon as the Conti came to a corner it would be ****ed anyway .
Old 31 July 2006, 09:40 AM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Impressive collection of cars!

94impreza - well to be fair the RS6 is actually 1.8 (I was just rounding it up) which means 250 per ton, however it also has about 420lb of torque and then you have to take into consideration various other elements like gearing (scooby is geared for low-down acceleration, RS is geared for 200mph), drivetrain losses etc etc.

In the 'real world', on-road performance is often markedly different to what it says on paper.
Old 31 July 2006, 10:00 AM
ReggieMY99
Scooby Regular

Wonder if this Cont GT is f*cked to...

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/1...eeb0c07c89.htm
Old 31 July 2006, 10:23 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Who cares? A Bentley? Gimme one! LOL.
All that bloody performance, and in extreme comfort too! Just like the lovely Rolls Royces that pass me on the motorway. Awesome. They just glide.
And them RR on the hub cap! Classic touch. Always remain the right way up whilst the wheel is rotating. Ahhh, to dream......................................
And anyway, that video above kinda give you something to think about a?
Although we dont know what was done to the STI though power wise.
Old 31 July 2006, 10:43 AM
94impreza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Edcase
Impressive collection of cars!

94impreza - well to be fair the RS6 is actually 1.8 (I was just rounding it up) which means 250 per ton, however it also has about 420lb of torque and then you have to take into consideration various other elements like gearing (scooby is geared for low-down acceleration, RS is geared for 200mph), drivetrain losses etc etc.

In the 'real world', on-road performance is often markedly different to what it says on paper.
Definately m8, my father-in-law's C43 AMG would **** on my 250BHP WRX above 90 or so and at 390BHP it should well do. However considering the weight he's carrying above mine we both know it would be tight from standstill if not more in my favour. I followed him from Gatwick to Devon, and when he slammed his footdown to overtake he was suprised i stayed with him above 80 or so. Horses for courses really....
Old 31 July 2006, 10:50 AM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MaDaSS
Who cares? A Bentley? Gimme one! LOL.
All that bloody performance, and in extreme comfort too! Just like the lovely Rolls Royces that pass me on the motorway. Awesome. They just glide.
And them RR on the hub cap! Classic touch. Always remain the right way up whilst the wheel is rotating. Ahhh, to dream......................................
And anyway, that video above kinda give you something to think about a?
Although we dont know what was done to the STI though power wise.

totally agree....who cares...a Bentley is a Bentley...and i am sure it will handle 1000 times better..
Old 31 July 2006, 01:00 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 94impreza
That doesn't make sense though. 300BHP with 1200kg ( i believe) IE 1.2 ton means about 240BHP per ton. RS6 2.0 ton @450BHP means 225BHP per ton. Unless i'm missing something major here the scoob should pull away from the RS6. Who cares anyway as soon as the Conti came to a corner it would be ****ed anyway .
Power to weight is only one part of the story, outright power, gearing and aerodynamics play a big part. my old 2.8 A6 would destroy my Scoob above 130.

Incidentally i had a play with an RS6 a few weeks ago - the way he left me above a ton was embarrassing - i would imagine a Bentley would do the same.
Old 31 July 2006, 01:05 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove the new RS4 (06 Plate) Lovely car, and i have never been in any car that drives and handles as well as that does. It stick to the road like Glue...its not all about a straight line... but for me to compare that to my Scooby...well that would not be possible as the new RS4, as it is an awsome car. as so is the Bently puts the scooby to Shame to be honest as it makes the Scoob feel like a TIN CAN in comparrison! (but still fun to drive)
Old 31 July 2006, 01:15 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Edcase

Edit - I also just looked in evo which gives the Conti a 0-100 of only 12.0 but that doesn't tell the whole story, its the way it carries on up to 180+ that is the main difference with the straight line performance of a 300bhp WRX, regardless of the weight of the Bentley.
Yep, I'd say this is about correct. I'd bet on my 320bhp classic to legal speeds and maybe 3 figures if you were on a runway (of course) Even with all that power, the Bentley is a very heavy old hector! But beyond that, That massive torque would just allow the Bentley to just drive away. If it doesn't something is amiss!

Ns04
Old 31 July 2006, 01:29 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Yep, I'd say this is about correct. I'd bet on my 320bhp classic to legal speeds and maybe 3 figures if you were on a runway (of course) Even with all that power, the Bentley is a very heavy old hector! But beyond that, That massive torque would just allow the Bentley to just drive away. If it doesn't something is amiss!

Ns04
You hit the nail on the head, and that is borne out by the video above.
Old 31 July 2006, 01:30 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
Power to weight is only one part of the story, outright power, gearing and aerodynamics play a big part. my old 2.8 A6 would destroy my Scoob above 130.

Incidentally i had a play with an RS6 a few weeks ago - the way he left me above a ton was embarrassing - i would imagine a Bentley would do the same.
It wasn't a misano red Avant was it?
Old 31 July 2006, 03:15 PM
Lee_1075
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief

Heres a video for you all, its from a German TV Company that makes a car show called AMS. In the video they are talking about the car tuning scene around where i live. They give an Actor a totaly standard STI to see how many car freaks want to race aginst him. (Beware its all in German)

http://www.dirk-fiermann.de/download...MPREZA-STI.wmv

In the first 2 mins you will see a Digitec RS4 that has 580bhp, so more than a normal RS6 and alot less weight. It has its problems to keep up with a standard STI, but granted it beats it eventualy but only just.

You must have had an amazing 2.8 A6 then, i owned a 2.9 VR6 German spec Passat which wasnt slow, but has no chance of keeping up with any classic or newage Scoob.
Old 31 July 2006, 06:29 PM
ade_sti
Scooby Regular

Sorry but as I said this did happen, and the Conti did pull away after 150mph, up to that pretty close. My mate backed off when he over took at 160, and when we stoped he was really amazed how he could not overtake me untill we were going 150ish. I know that if he had kept going he would have wasted me and my car would have probably blown up if held at 150ish for more than a few second!

Am not tryin to compare my car with my friends Bentley, that would be a joke. His car is beautiful inside and out and mine - well a Jap tin can that goes fast. Just amazes me how quick the impreza can be made for very little cash. You think I would have my car if I had 80K to spend!

Cheers for replies. Ed - if you have an RS6 - top car mate

Quick Reply: Classic Impreza vs 04 plate Bentley conti GT