Sponsored by:

New Member - Track Day Car

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2006, 12:34 PM
Maccers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member - Track Day Car

Hello! Just joined the site today. After buying house, getting married, having first child (son), doing the garden and feeding this fish, I have finally got round to looking into what would make a good track day car....

Previously not being a huge fan of these types of car for the road it seems they are readily available for quite reasonable money, and have most things a track car needs as standard.

I have had this in mind for a few years now, but have never really looked into it, and the cost side of things has put me off, again without having really looked into it. Now I have seen how accessible this can be, I am probably going to buy a car (Impreza) with a mate, who is in almost the same position as me (house, wife, kids etc)

This site looks like its got loads of info which I plan on working my way through. Its got a for sale bit too, which will be of particular interest to me.

Two initial questions I have for anyone still reading this:

1-Insurance - for a track day car only do I need it? The car will be fitted with non road legal tyres and will be taken to and from events on a trailer
2-Roll cage - car will be stipped out and pretty bare inside, but am looking at fitting some form of roll cage for safety, probably a bolt in DIY job to keep costs low - does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks for reading, will probably be posting more.
Richard.
Old 30 July 2006, 01:06 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

To answer your questions.

1. If the car will NEVER be used on the road then you do not need insurance. That does of course mean you cant drive it places like the Nurburgring.
2. If your going to have a roll cage then don't skrimp on it, get one made properly for your car.
3. Be careful with buying and running a car with your mate. What happens if you want to do a mid week track day and he doesn't, how does he feel when you are killing, tyres / brakes other parts while he is sat at work? Perhaps a pay per mile system would be in order?
4. Whats your budget for the car / preperation and the first year of track work? It may be that an Impreza isnt the car for you.

Gary
Old 30 July 2006, 01:12 PM
147bugeye
Scooby Newbie

To be fair mate i honestly don't think there is a better family car on the road. four doors big boot and when you're on your own lots of fun.

But anyway just a point of interest about insurance, recently a mate was doing track racing on his bike, fortunately he had the foresight to take out a kinda personal insurance. Needless to say the tit fell off broke pelvis, ankle and nearly died from internal injuries. After 10 weeks he's finally outa hospital but housebound. His foresight however has been paying him 12oo a week while in hospital and 700 while he recovers.
I know you're a lot safer in a car but might be worth a thought what with the family and all.
Whichever i'm sure you'll have hrs of sideways fun!!!!