buying from an importers

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2006, 07:10 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying from an importers

guys

just looking around to see what to go for next, and other than buying from here or a private sale form something like autotrader, i have noticed that there are a lot to offer from car importers and the prices are good, just wondered if anyone has done it and has got some tips and know of things to look out for.

thinking of a 96/97 wrx sti (if not newer depending on cash flow at the time) i am just a bit uneasy about buyin g something that there is no history or no-one to talk to about their pride and joy if you get where i am coming from.

steve
Old 27 July 2006, 07:25 PM
RedScoob
Scooby Regular

From my own experience, the wait was far too long from an "importer". They were talking over a month to deliver the car (shipping plus the SVA). Also, again only from my experience, I've noticed that dealers do tend to cut corners getting the cars ready for the UK (i.e. speed limiters still in place, not checking tyre speed ratings, fluid checks, that kind of thing).
I'm really not trying to put you off, import classics are the way forward IMO. You just need to watch out for the condition of the work carried out in the UK to get it legal and for all the hiddens costs. Despite all my moaning, there's no way that I'm selling my fresh import for at least the next couple of years, it's the process of importing that's the problem - not the cars.
Old 27 July 2006, 07:28 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

o kthanks mate i was thinking of buying one that was already in the country from thier stocklist here so you can go and look at it direct not what they are intending of bringing over sorry my fault i was not clear enough. are you not worried about the fueling issues you thinking of gettin git remapped to uk fuel?
Old 27 July 2006, 07:33 PM
hull sti
Scooby Regular

hi mate i bought my 94 sti from barnsley imports in barnsley theye have loads in stock and craig the main man down there is more then happy to help they have access to hundreds of japans cars give him a ring for more info. tell him chris gave u the number. cheers. 07861753337
Old 27 July 2006, 08:42 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

thanks mate

just a bit unsure of the imported route that was all. anyone else got any help
Old 27 July 2006, 08:45 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

my real concern id the fuel and the fact that uk fuel is not high enough for the imports, i know we have optimax which i used in me old classic.

if the car has been in the country for a while say a few years and it has not had a remap would this be a reason to walk away?

also would the import if it has just been bought into the country and is sitting on the forcourt would it need to be remaped a soon as poss?
Old 27 July 2006, 11:37 PM
S7EVY
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I recently purchased my WRX import from a Garage in W.Yorkshire, at the time he gave me a good 10 minute 'lecture' on how to run the scooby on a reglular basis tips which most traders won't bother telling you as they are more interested in taking your money or simply don't have clue!

I use Shell optimax with x2 caps full of octane booster & touch wood its been running smooth. I think things start going wrong when you cut corners i.e. low octane supply, low engine oil etc.

Oh you can check out there website www.japperformanceuk.co.uk

Alternatively have a look in the For Sale section on here, as i have seen some stunning motors up for grabs...