Sponsored by:

Air conditioning unit

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2006, 10:51 AM
Awd Chaddy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Air conditioning unit

I have a my03 WRX and want (or should I say need?) to use the a/c in this weather to avoid having the windows down when the car is not moving and hot air starts blowing tyhrough the vents.

I know there has been a discussion on how best to use the system and I recall someone gave some good advice about how to stop the fan blowing at full blast all the time when the a/c button is pressed and the fan speed is put on "auto". Any chance someone could find the link or go over the advice again?

Before anyone asks, I have used the search facility. Unfortunately for the life of me I cannot find this correspondence I've searched against "air", "a/c" and even "condition" but all to no avail.

Thanks in advance of any help!
Old 20 July 2006, 11:39 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

In the current hot weather the system will be trying to provide max cooling (unless you set the temperature dial to a high value). If the fan is on auto it will inevitably run to max speed for max cooling and will only cut back if the temperature target is met. If you don't want full blast then you have to use manual IMHO.
Old 20 July 2006, 01:11 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Or set the temperature at a more approriate setting. In this weather the system will not have the capacity to get below 22 degrees, so putting it any lower won't make it any cooler, all it will do is just put the blower on to max speed.

You will also get more cooling power if you set the air flow to recirculate, although that will tend to make it noiser.
Old 20 July 2006, 01:29 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are some people here who dnt like using Aircons at all.... Can't imagine why you would'nt want to in this weather
Old 20 July 2006, 01:57 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

On a hot day i open the windows to let most of the heat escape then i turn the air con on manually. On auto it tends to stay on full whack.

One thing i have noticed is my air con sounds quite noisy, not the fan blowing but something form the unit itself. I am wondering if the condenser is on the way out.
One last thing, the cold air is fairly cold but nowhere near as cold as the air con in the wifes car, maybe it needs regassing as well?

Hopefully anything faulty will be replced under warranty
Nik.
Old 20 July 2006, 04:52 PM
classic scooby doo
Scooby Regular

imo the a/c on scoobs is pretty ****e anyway, i never seem to get it as cold as the wifes focus. Am i right in saying the jap imports have a better a/c system? my mates import is like a freezer when the a/c is blasting away full.
Old 20 July 2006, 06:15 PM
d5hof
Scooby Regular

I just serviced and regassed my ac, at idle its not so cold but anything over 2k it is pretty cold. i usually control the ac manually as auto inevitably goes to max.
Old 20 July 2006, 10:13 PM
gubby
Scooby Regular

I have a MY05 Wagon and the aircon works ok, but is pretty feeble compared with my last car.

As far as Climate goes it just never gets there. It just keeps blasting away and you either have to resort to manual or turn up the temperature as shark man says.
Old 20 July 2006, 10:17 PM
*AL*
Scooby Regular

I have a MY03 WRX, the AC is ice cold..........alot better than my 55 plate Honda Civic.