Sponsored by:

Brighton National Speed Trials?

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2006, 04:35 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brighton National Speed Trials?

I enquired about entering the Brighton national speed trials this year, and was told it wasn't possible due to not having a RAC National A license.

The license is certainly something I intend to get full stop, but this isn't going to happen before september. And advice for the future is welcome, it would be nice to sprint or hillclimb the car once or twice next year.

paul
Old 19 July 2006, 05:11 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

ive just looked on MSAs website, i didnt realise it was so cheap!

must look in to getting a banger and racing it!
Old 19 July 2006, 08:44 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Daft question Paul, but what date is it this year..... been meaning to get there for years.......

Ron.
Old 19 July 2006, 09:04 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

There's two bits of Brighton speed trial or there was two years ago when I last did it. For the main event you need a Nat A licence but there's also a handicap event for which you only need a Nat B licence.

For a Nat A licence you need to get a Nat B licence and do I think 8 events and collect signatures to upgrade to Nat A. But you can get a Nat B licence without any bother, just pay your 30 quid (ish) and fill in the form.

Only slight problem is the Nat B handicap is closed to club but that just means paying a bit more on your entry fee for the club membership.

Details here. Date is 9 September this year.
Old 19 July 2006, 09:46 PM
Mr Scoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Zen Performance
I enquired about entering the Brighton national speed trials this year, and was told it wasn't possible due to not having a RAC National A license.

The license is certainly something I intend to get full stop, but this isn't going to happen before september. And advice for the future is welcome, it would be nice to sprint or hillclimb the car once or twice next year.

paul
Sorry to hear that as you know I was looking forward to the possibility of a strong scooby competitor taking part , maybe next year?

Are there any other sub 10 second scoobs out there whose driver has the required licence?
Old 19 July 2006, 10:16 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

I competed at the Brighton speed trials back in the late '60's and won the Up to one litre saloon class two years running in a Mini. Still got the "pots" in the cabinet! It was run over a Kilometre, is it still? A mate and myself put the car together on a real "shoestring" basis - loads of secondhand bits, even the 649 cam, 45 DCOE Weber etc were "pre-used" We did quite lot of sprints/hill climbs back then. I remember having to have an international competition licence for the event even then. A great event.
JohnD

Last edited by JohnD; 19 July 2006 at 10:21 PM.
Old 20 July 2006, 01:10 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Kilometre! No way. Been dumbed down like everything else. It's 1/4 mile now and about 1/2 mile to slow down in before the collection area.

To be fair it's been shortened because hillclimb and sprint cars have got so much quicker in the last 10 years that they would have been stupid fast after a km and no room to stop.
Old 20 July 2006, 08:46 AM
Mr Scoob
Scooby Regular

This car was fastest last year 9.45secs, TS 150MPH...imagine how quick it would have been going after a KM. This is run on a normal road, no sticky stuff like at Santa Pod so 9.45 is very impressive.

Old 20 July 2006, 11:43 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chelspeed
Kilometre! No way. Been dumbed down like everything else. It's 1/4 mile now and about 1/2 mile to slow down in before the collection area.

To be fair it's been shortened because hillclimb and sprint cars have got so much quicker in the last 10 years that they would have been stupid fast after a km and no room to stop.
Yeah - I guess that's sensible (If sensible is your thing!)
Even back then there were some very quick cars (and bikes) There was one year where a guy turned up with a bike with some yank V8 lump in it. He promptly lost control on the bumpy surface, went through the railings and finished up on the beach - dead! The surface was such that my crash hat was banging against the roof and roll bar half way down the Madiera Drive! I remember having to feather the throttle 3/4 of the way down as 8k rpm from that poor 3 bearing A series was pushing it a bit! (very low sprint gearing)
JohnD