Sponsored by:

98 Sti

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2006, 01:52 PM
Predator.
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Sti

Hi everyone, as some of you may notice i'm very new to this website. Not only that soon hopefully new to the subaru scene.

I'm looking to buy a 98 Version 4 Sti (2DR). However a lot of people are trying to put me off the idea of buying one. They say that this particular model is well known for various problems.

I would like to know, from people who actually know or own one of these car to tell me if there are any problems with the car that more often than not occur. If so what are these problems.

Second of all i was looking for a complete set of poly bushes, however everywhere seems to sell them individually. This seems to be a costly way of buying them. Does anyone know the best place to get the bushes from.

Finally has anyone got any pictures of an underside of a mint impreza. Preferably a Version 4 but anything "classic" will do.

Thanks for your time and hope to make some new friends on here soon.

Old 15 July 2006, 05:25 PM
rmtypeR
Scooby Regular

Hi,

It depends what "various well known problems" these people are refering to.

I've owned a V4 Type R for nearly a year now, and have not had a single problem with it. I'm not aware of any problems specific to this model year, if anything it is the later V5 & 6's that seem to have more of a problem as their MAF sensor seems a little delicate.

At a guess, I'd say the "well known problems" are the reputation of import classics in particular for having engine failures, primarily caused by running them on lower octane fuel than they were designed for (which in Japan was 100 octane). In my opinion, a lot of the engine failures you hear of these days could be due to the fact that a few years ago the dangers of running an import Impreza on standard 95 octane fuel where not so well known, which has created a legacy of premature failures. Use either Optimax or Tesco 99 fuel (plus a bit of octane booster) and you should be OK. Or even better, have the ECU remapped to run on UK fuel.

I'd recommend using the search facility for more info... there's loads of threads on this subject.

Last edited by rmtypeR; 15 July 2006 at 05:27 PM.
Old 15 July 2006, 09:40 PM
Spirit
Scooby Regular

Hi, I own a 98 V4 Sti (although not a 2 dr) and am not aware of any specific problems with them other than those caused by bad treatment, which will affect any car. The 99/00 impreza have a history of faulty maf sensors but I'm not aware of any other problems specific to certain model years