Sponsored by:

intercooler to throttle body hose

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2006, 08:50 AM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intercooler to throttle body hose

After owning the car (STi version 6) for a few weeks I shat myself last night after I lost all boost thinking something v.bad had happened. Turned out that the fat and stumpy intercooler hose had slipped off. It had been in the garage the previous day where the intercooler had been removed to fit a Knocklink microphone.

Anyway managed to get the hose on again and tighten it up this time but the hose looks slightly deformed and I think this is why it might have slipped off.

A few questions

1) Does the hose have a shape? Or is it just a short but straight tube? That is, should I be twisting it round to get a better fit?

2) Has anyone bought one of these? If so, are they good replacements?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IMPREZA-INTERC...QQcmdZViewItem

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUBARU-Impreza...QQcmdZViewItem

3) Is it easy to get the Intercooler off to refit a hose myself? How do I do it My garage man is on holiday and I'd rather do it myself while he is away.

4) Finally, I drove for half a mile before I could pull in. Will that have caused any damage to the car? There a small amount of oil around where the pipe had come away but wasn't much.

Any help/opinions much appreciated
Old 15 July 2006, 04:53 PM
rmtypeR
Scooby Regular

Can't answer all your questions but I what I do know is...

1) - It's just a straight tube

2) - A full replacement Samco intercooler hose set is about £40 - part number for yours TCS144.

Rally design are the cheapest supplier I know, and do individual hoses as well as the full kit. http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/catalog...roducts_id=876

3) - It's very easy to remove the intercooler, just undo the 2 bolts either side, and loosen the hose clips. Even I can do it and I'm rubbish with cars. It's easier if you remove the strut brace too, but you don't have to. I found I scratched mine though, trying to get it out with the brace still in, as there isn't much room.

4) - Not sure if it will have caused any damage, but I wouldn't worry about the oil. It's normal to have a bit in there - here's what mine looked like when I took it off.
Old 16 July 2006, 12:32 AM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Thanks nice (pictorial) reply

Cheers
James
Old 16 July 2006, 04:08 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just more proof that you MUST ALWAYS check over any work done by ANY garage!
Not sure about the V6, but I didn't have to touch the intercooler on my 03 STi (V8/9?) when I fitted the knocklink mic.
JohnD
Old 16 July 2006, 06:36 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

I had a similar conundrum to you and alleviated it by doubling up on jubilee clips at both ends, problem solved.
Old 16 July 2006, 06:38 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by rmtypeR
Can't answer all your questions but I what I do know is...

1) - It's just a straight tube

2) - A full replacement Samco intercooler hose set is about £40 - part number for yours TCS144.

Rally design are the cheapest supplier I know, and do individual hoses as well as the full kit. http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/catalog...roducts_id=876

3) - It's very easy to remove the intercooler, just undo the 2 bolts either side, and loosen the hose clips. Even I can do it and I'm rubbish with cars. It's easier if you remove the strut brace too, but you don't have to. I found I scratched mine though, trying to get it out with the brace still in, as there isn't much room.

4) - Not sure if it will have caused any damage, but I wouldn't worry about the oil. It's normal to have a bit in there - here's what mine looked like when I took it off.

The oil is not a good thing as it can lower the octane. This is why it is a good idea to vent the the breather system to air.
Old 17 July 2006, 01:17 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

if it's just the tmic to TB hose you're after then give RCM a call. They sold me a red samco one for ~£3.50 inc delivery iirc. No point in buying the whole kit..

With regards to the oil in the IC, if you're not going to go down the VTA route then at least wash out the IC and piping with some petrol (2-3 ltrs, bung holes, shake and leave for a while before draining and allowing petrol to evaporate. If you can leave an air line or cold hair dryer blowing through even better). Do this every now and then until you get fed up and go VTA, voila, not more oil in intake..!