Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I drove like an idiot yesterday....

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2006, 12:15 PM
Ryo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I drove like an idiot yesterday....

Ive had my scoob for three weeks. Love it.
Previous car was a vectra and I drove suitably.

I used to cruise slowly, didnt care if people cut
me up or got in my way, I just chilled in the wallowy
old shoe that was my old vectra.

I had a couple of hot hatches when I was a youngster,
XR2's & a Pug 205 1.9 but since buying my first house
6 years ago I have lived off cheap old cars.

So anyway - yesterday morning someone pulled out in
front of me at a junction on my way to work. Back in
the vectra I would have just slowed down and given them
time to get going. Im such an easy going guy, I dont get
hassled by much.

In the scoob - NO - I dropped a gear and hammered round
the offending car. Cursing that how dare they pull out in
front of a scoob, MY SCOOB! Problem, they guy was driving
a Golf GTI and he floored it as soon as he saw me getting
close. I was commited so I felt I should have kept going,
so did he.

I got round (either because he backed off or his car couldnt
keep up - I dont know what power Golf GTI's Mk4 have) but
I felt so childish after, and fearful that something really bad
could have happened.

I used to do this sort of thing when I was 18 in my XR2, not
now In my 30's - I felt really guilty all day, because I knew
I had been a total idiot.

I love the scoob and bought it because it drives great and I
think it looks good, the seats are amazing and the car makes
the journey to work a treat instead of a chore. It brings a
smile on my face when I open the garage door in the morning.

But here I was acting like a loon on the road - Im still ashamed
and yesterday night I drove home with complete restraint, as if
I was in the old vectra, and this morning I did the same. (it was
nice to be calm again)

Ive seen some comments on here along the lines of "Just because
you drive a scoob it does'nt make you Superman." and rightly so,
yesterday taught me that lesson. I am just thankful that I didnt
crash or get caught up in some road rage incident.

I also felt guilty for potentially sullying the scoobys image.

Apologies for the essay.
Old 12 July 2006, 12:22 PM
robsw
Scooby Regular

I am sure you are not alone. I think most of us have probably done something out of character when we got our 1st 2l turbo. It's an important reality check.
Old 12 July 2006, 12:31 PM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

At the end of the day, the other guy put his foot down too, forcing you to increase your speed, so who is really to blame?

This regularly happens to me also. I'll be forced to sit behind someone doddling along at 35-40 in a 60, and as soon as I take a safe opportunity to overtake - they speed up. I've had this happen approaching corners, and consider it attempted murder as they are literally trying to cause an accident by preventing me from safely passing them. I don't bully people on the roads, and am not an aggressive driver - but our cars do bring out the worst in others.
Old 12 July 2006, 12:39 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thing is, why dont they put there foot down when they pull out.. thats what pisses me off..

David
Old 12 July 2006, 12:42 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by briforbes
At the end of the day, the other guy put his foot down too, forcing you to increase your speed, so who is really to blame?

This regularly happens to me also. I'll be forced to sit behind someone doddling along at 35-40 in a 60,
Very annoying and potentially dangerous when people do this! If you want to drive well under the limit, fine, but don't then put your foot down when someone else overtakes just because they wish to make progress closer to the limit!! I can't see what they're trying to acheive other than to cause an accident!!

I had an old boy (and his poor old dear) in a Rover try this on me once. I mean WTF??? My ego doesn't require that I try and prevent slower cars geting past me if they want to get somewhere quicker than me in my Scooby, even if it means they will be exceeding the speed limit. So why should they object to me wating to get past them just because they are driving well under the limit????

Ns04
Old 12 July 2006, 12:44 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Don't woory too much... the main thing was you felt stupid, and that at least must tell you this whole action was 'out of character'........

It's when you post it likes it's a good thing you need to start worrying...
Old 12 July 2006, 12:49 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Ten Hail Marys and don't be such an Eegit next time!!
Old 12 July 2006, 12:53 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

i don't thinks it's just because you have the scooby that you put your foot down. I've had slow cars and some reasonably fast ones. I'm also lucky enough to be able to drive some really fast cars, ferrari etc.

i find that no matter what car i'm in, i drive it the way the car is. e.g if i'm in an old banger that i know won't go fast, it doesn't bother me and i drive slow. but for some reason, if i'm in something that i know goes quickly i find myself driving quickly.

at the end of the day, he put his foot down as well. when he pulled out slow, he may have done so to get the reaction that he did. many people would have done the same as you, no matter what car they drive. scoobs only get noticed for this sort of thing because they normally make a load of noise and are easily spotted. would anyone notice if a big engined jag, merc, bmw done it? but done it wafting past? probably not.

main thing is nothing bad happend and you have realised that you don't need to drive like that.
Old 12 July 2006, 01:24 PM
Ryo
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, some godd points there.

I've been doing hail marys since it happened yesterday morning.

I think my reaction (the guilty feeling) is also because I havent overtaken a car like that for years, I thought nothing of overtaking 3 at a time when I was 19. So it was a bit of a shock to be flying like that.

My wife said the same, "dont worry about it, he pulled out" she was with me on the way to work.

It is good in a way because like robsw said - its a reality check.
Old 12 July 2006, 01:27 PM
Ryo
Scooby Regular

- but our cars do bring out the worst in others.
Thats what I feared about this incident, and its a damn shame that its the case.

Saying that, on my way home last night I got a cool scooby wave from a guy driving an silver WRX classic - so that made me feel a whole lot better
Old 12 July 2006, 02:26 PM
Awd Chaddy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David_Wallis
Thing is, why dont they put there foot down when they pull out.. thats what pisses me off..

David
I agree David there is nothing worse than soemone pulling out sharply in front of you and then proceeds to dawdle at say 35-40mph in a national speed limit zone. Instead of being able to brake slowly to absorb the new driver into the flow of traffic I end up having to slam on the anchors!
Old 12 July 2006, 02:31 PM
RedScoob
Scooby Regular

A similar thing happened to me only last week. Pottering through a village at 30 I had a Range Rover Sport up me jacksie so that my rear view mirror was full of his front grill and he was weaving towards the centre of the road looking for an opportunity to pass. Personally, I find that kind of thing a little annoying, but mainly intimidating (if I was to brake suddenly, there would be no way he could avoid hitting me). As I left the village and entered the national speed limit he pulled out to overtake. As childish as I know it was, I put my foot down and left him behind.
Like you, I thought to myself "What was the point of that?", in any other car I would have just let him go past and moan about the "Idiotic driver" that was following me through the village. I gained no satisfaction from it whatsoever, and next time I'll just slow down and let the *** past me.
Old 12 July 2006, 02:48 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

What a ***** !!!

Only Joking

Rob
Old 12 July 2006, 02:49 PM
wilb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RedScoob
next time I'll just slow down and let the *** past me.
Yeah, sure you will!
Old 12 July 2006, 03:11 PM
Ryo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobfan
What a ***** !!!

Only Joking

Rob
Ha !!, Made me laugh!
Old 12 July 2006, 03:45 PM
MickeyWRX
Scooby Regular

dont feel bad i always overtake etc unless iam tired or the there is a risk at stake, coming back from work an hour ago i was being followed by a MY99 impreza we were on country roads doing about 40 coz there was an old biddy 2 cars in front, when the chance came to overtake i coundnt be bothered but the impreza behind me did, when he has completed "said" overtake he was faced with a car coming towards him on his side of the road and was forced to go onto the grass - quite a near miss but if i had been racing him and was in front the consequences could have been far worse

saying that i felt like Michael J Fox for a minute when he changes his mind to race "Needles" in back to the future and that could have been me in a head on

Moral = some times its ok to do stuff like that but just remember everything can change in a flash!
Old 12 July 2006, 04:11 PM
doobieR
Scooby Regular

whats a matter with you subarus are built to be driven dropping a gear was the approriate action to take dont feel bad you done the right thing im 57 and still drive like a c*nt
Old 12 July 2006, 04:15 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Smile

Don't sweat over it . .Happens to the best of us at times . . .

Especially at the first three months of owning my car, I discovered that at times the car was taking over and speaking to me! It kept saying - "Put your foot down" . .. . And whenever I saw a car infront of me, i was plotting to do nothing but overtake . .

But once after fishtailing, and seeing my life flash before my eyes, I decided to take some advanced driving lessons with one of the HPC instructors . . .

As of then, driving has been a real pleasure . . Overtaking made safe and easy, and screeching tyres and oversteering a must!

www.donpalmer.co.uk . . .
Old 12 July 2006, 04:19 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by doobieR
whats a matter with you subarus are built to be driven dropping a gear was the approriate action to take dont feel bad you done the right thing im 57 and still drive like a c*nt
Old 12 July 2006, 04:25 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

When somebody has pulled out infront of me, leaving it too late and not made any attempt to get up to speed, especially when there is nothing behind me; I've been known to just boot it, overtake and go around them instead of braking - providing there is nothing comming the other way and no obstacles ahead. Normally to great suprise of the driver who cut me up.

It annoys me when people hinder my progress, I take it out on the car, and because it can perform such manouvers so quickly and easily, I'm more likely to do it in a Impreza.

Somtimes it winds up the driver I overtake and I get waving arms and flashing lights. But then I'm not the one who misjudges distances and speed and pulls out infront of cars when there is nothing behind them. I'd rather these feejits be behind me so they can dodder ignorantly along out of my way. More often than not its a doddery old git in a Dawoo Matiz, who usually is in no hurry, so why couldn't they wait for half a second longer? If these drivers didn't exist, then I wouldn't have to perform such a manouver.

Last edited by Shark Man; 12 July 2006 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12 July 2006, 07:47 PM
prodrive SL
Scooby Regular

I had some idiot pull out on me from a side road the other day, it was so close I didn't get chance to change down. I just coasted past at the same speed, luckily with no oncoming traffic. He got out at the lights and came up to the car ranting about how I nearly killed him, his wife and kids, the dog....probably the pope if I had let him go on. Then he clenched his fist like elmer fudd when he got mad. I just laughed it off. There are some idiots out there and I bet the GTI driver wont be worried he caused a potentially lethal situation.
Life too short to worry about it, get out and enjoy the car. We work hard enough for them!
Old 13 July 2006, 08:27 AM
ZippyLane
Scooby Regular

Don't do it again..!

Until next week..!

Old 13 July 2006, 08:19 PM
bluepolarbear
Scooby Regular

And exactly how does that force you to increase your speed.

Not saying I wouldn't have done the same thing but the bottom line is the car will only do what you tell it do it, it's your decision to accelerate, brake or ram him off the road.
Old 13 July 2006, 08:54 PM
chrisola
Scooby Regular

its dangerous to be on the wrong side of the road, so its either overtake or slow down..

fast car = overtake!

I had someone pull out, STAY in the wrong lane and accelerate along side me then nip inside.. was in a steady stream of traffic with hardly any gaps on the way to work.. he was one of the Mercedes Exec drivers we all love.

I **** a brick thinking that he was going to ram me, couldnt brake anymore than i did due to cars being so close behind me!
Old 13 July 2006, 09:44 PM
Bil
Scooby Regular

Well i just ahd a bunch of little jimmys in a fiesta ST try to race me -- and i did -- but yes should not have -- i wish they would just cruise and listen to music (which is what i was doing until they turned up!)
Old 13 July 2006, 09:55 PM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

LMAO
Old 13 July 2006, 09:55 PM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

And exactly how does that force you to increase your speed.

Not saying I wouldn't have done the same thing but the bottom line is the car will only do what you tell it do it, it's your decision to accelerate, brake or ram him off the road.
Well...

if you pull out to overtake someone, and as you draw level with them, they put their foot down, you must increase your speed to get past them. Of course I'm not saying you couldn't brake and pull back in behind them - but getting past them is obviously preferable, especially if the car behind you has already closed the gap you left when you pulled out.

So that's how, exactly.
Old 13 July 2006, 11:15 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

thank **** for that! I was beginning to think I was too old for this **** but I just can't leave it alone.
second childhood? no,I've always been a tw*t.
Old 14 July 2006, 07:47 AM
bluepolarbear
Scooby Regular

Well...

if you pull out to overtake someone, and as you draw level with them, they put their foot down, you must increase your speed to get past them. Of course I'm not saying you couldn't brake and pull back in behind them - but getting past them is obviously preferable, especially if the car behind you has already closed the gap you left when you pulled out.

So that's how, exactly.
If the car is accelerating the guy behind isn't going to be closing the gap. Its bollocks. The choice to accelerate is yours and yours alone.
Old 14 July 2006, 12:08 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by bluepolarbear
If the car is accelerating the guy behind isn't going to be closing the gap. Its bollocks. The choice to accelerate is yours and yours alone.
144: Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the gap in front of you.

HTH!

The rule I like to employ is: assume that the person in front is a **** and will try and obstruct you. Then ask yourself, given the conditions -and the likely performance difference between the cars- is the overtaking move still wise?

Ns04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 14 July 2006 at 12:11 PM.

Quick Reply: I drove like an idiot yesterday....