Sponsored by:

It was my RB5 @ Dono

Search this Thread

Old 06 November 2001, 03:05 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

OK, there have been various mentions about yesterday's event at Donington.

Unfortunately, it was my RB5 that ended upside down in the gravel trap

Pretty frustrating as I've been through Craner quite a bit faster than I was going at the time and I didn't think I was on the limit, but these things happen. This was my first ever 'off track' experience after 5 track days, but I obviously didn't have the luck to get away with it.

What happened was the back end started going just after the apex of Craner, I tried steering into it, but didn't manage to catch the slide and the car went onto the grass to the left of the track sideways (rumours of an attempt to ****** SdB's world record are totally false!).

It then stayed sideways, decelerating as it headed for the gravel - not a great deal you can do when travelling totally sideways on grass, except look out of the driver's side window at the approaching scenery and hope.

By the time I'd reached the gravel, the speed was pretty low but the car dug in as it arrived (fully sideways) and as it came to a halt rolled onto the roof. It wasn't a big impact but the damage it did to the roof is quite extensive. Thankfully the mashalls, fire car and ambulance all arrived quickly and we got out OK without any injuries (though I have some whiplash that wasn't evident at the time).

I'd like to appologise to anyone who lost track time due to the stopped session and say a massive thankyou to everyone who helped out, including the guy who stopped to help us get out (and got a bo**ocking from the mashalls for doing so). Plus a massive thankyou to the lads who stayed with me until the car was recovered (I can't remember many names, but Graham etc, you know who you are!) It was much appreciated and I'm sorry for giving one of you the fright of your life (again, the name escapes me).

The car is now being assessed and was insured so hopefully everything will get sorted out.

At the end of the day, its only a piece of metal and we got out, though the ease at which the car tipped when it hit the gravle and the way the roof caved in with such a minor roll would make me very unsure about going on track again without some sort of roll cage (those SD bolt in jobs really do look like good value!!).

The way the car pitched over was really extrememly frightening - on another day, I might have stopped before the gravel, or just been beached in it the right way up and needed towing out. Then again, I may have hit it faster and rolled over and into the barrier - a thought which is pretty scary given I had just filled up with fuel.
Old 06 November 2001, 03:08 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Good to hear your OK

Gutted about your car, hope it gets sorted soon

Lee
Old 06 November 2001, 03:09 PM
KimA
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Gutted for you
Old 06 November 2001, 03:16 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Glad to hear your ok Kryten. Shame we wont see the RB5 around the area for a while (if ever.

Dave
Old 06 November 2001, 03:37 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Unhappy

Sorry m8
Old 06 November 2001, 03:49 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Bugger. Glad you're ok, and that you were insured!
Old 06 November 2001, 04:32 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sorry to hear it was you, I happened to phone Rum while he was trying to sort things out but, quite properly, he didn't say who it was. Glad you're OK though.

Josh
Old 06 November 2001, 04:38 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

....congratulations on being able to walk away from that one.... there is no such thing as a *good* accident but by the sounds of it yours was one of the *better* ones....at the end of the day its only a tin box and you get to see the family again...
Hope you get it all sorted quickly and easily...
Best wishes.
Old 06 November 2001, 04:44 PM
Blue
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sorry to hear you news m8, but a very straight forward down to earth post that may help us all realise how quickly these things go wrong.
Hope you're back at it soon
Old 06 November 2001, 04:56 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Glad everyone was OK.
Food for thought again, hope it all works out well for you.
Old 06 November 2001, 05:13 PM
Skippy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Kryten

Still feel gutted for you, it was Paul my brother that was in the car with you, Rob, Andrew and myself were the others. It was nice meeting you, your a top lad and it was unfortunate to say the least!!!

I have sent you mail.

Skip.
Old 06 November 2001, 05:31 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

First I would like to reiterate Blue's sentiments.

A friend had a similar experience at Craner on Saturday. His car didn't roll but his agricultural jaunt ended in the tyre wall, causing very extensive damage but fortunately no serious injuries.

The high levels of safety at circuits insulate us from reality. We had an "uneventful" off at over 100mph earlier in the day and thought little of it. I had an it'll never happen to me attitude now with a second accident reported I'm wondering.

Take care folks, if it's not mine it could be your turn next.

B
Old 06 November 2001, 05:35 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Kryten,

Sorry to hear that mate! At least you walked away!

Hope the insurance is sorted out quickly!

Take care
Andy
Old 06 November 2001, 06:57 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Kryten,
Sorry to hear about your incident, but like myself you could walk away, which is all that really matters.
Your family will not be upset about the car, but what could have happened to you.
It does make you asses the Pros and the Cons of doing trackdays, or it has me. There is potentially so much to lose, and I don't mean the cars, and for what?

I hope you get everything sorted, and we will have to have a chinwag at the next Donnington round.

I was possibly more fortunate? in that I span 180 degrees and went down the left hand side of the track towards the gravel trap in more or less a straight line, backwards.
I considered trying to steer full left lock to get the front to come round but was concerned it may roll.

By the way, you didn't spot a Bel 990 in the gravel trap did you?Its mine

Pete Croney,
I would normally take Craner in a similar fasion to as you describe,and use all the track width, and be on the power fully well before the apex.

Unfortunately, for reasons I cannot fathom during my incident, I had passed a slower car and moved over to the left, then without pulling as far right as I could, attempted to turn into Craner.
I had made the bend tighter than it needed to be, and the back progressivly started to slide. Initially I had caught it, but then some distance after the apex (I think),it snapped right round.
And I never lift once I'm sliding.

A consequence of going too fast on the wrong line with tyres which I already knew were badly overheated, (they were squealing around Redgate at 50mph on a slow down lap previously).
Foolish, Foolish, Foolish.

I had become too engrossed in watching my mirrors to see how one of my Northern contingent was doing!

You live and learn.

Cheers MTR
Old 06 November 2001, 09:17 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Kryten

Sorry to hear about it m8. Worst of luck to hit the gravel broadside

Glad you are in one piece

DJ
Old 06 November 2001, 11:54 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Martyn, really, really sorry to hear that. You must be gutted. So glad you're okay, and hope the car is mended soon

Richard.
Old 07 November 2001, 12:20 AM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the support.

MTR, didn't see much in the gravel as the upside down view was a little strange and once out, I was ordered into the ambulance immediatley!

Been to the doctors as I've actually got some whiplash and off to the physio tomorrow, but I walked out so was pretty fortunate.

It makes me think of a piece I saw in Car magazine some time ago, before I bought the RB5:

for the only inevitability about an RB5 driven quickly is that if you believe its flattery for a moment, a very heavy impact will be your reward.

The RB5 should flash up some message like 'You are not God, agree Y/N' on the windscreen at frequent intervals, which stops it if you respond incorrectly.
Which is something we would all do well to remember. These cars _do_ flatter the driver, in that almost anyone can drive them quickly, but overstep the limits and most of us are in trouble: a soft body inside a piece of metal travelling at 100mph is pretty vulnerable.

I never thought I was really near the limit with my track driving, as that wasn't my intention. I wanted to have fun and still be able to drive the car to work the next day....

Oh and a reminder to all those who have had incidents of any sort: throw the crash helmet away and buy a new one! It may not look damaged, but ANY sort of off where you banged it on the car could have damaged it and at the end of the day, it could be the only thing stopping your head getting mashed.
Old 07 November 2001, 01:44 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Kryten, sorry about your incident, I was third in the que to get on track after your off, believe me there is no need at all to apologise for lack of track time!

I missed your post in Trackdays ( untill afterwards) or else I'd of come and said hello, didn't seem apropriate afterwards..anyways, at least your OK!

MTR, I was in the car behind you when you went off, your description is pretty acurate I'd say, don't think there was anything you could of done, doesn't help any but....

Bob
Old 07 November 2001, 12:58 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Smile

After all the purple faces I thought I'd show a yellow one cos at least you're ok.
Hope it's sorted soon.

Stef.
Old 07 November 2001, 01:14 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Glad you're OK, Sorry about the car - but that can be fixed.
Old 07 November 2001, 03:42 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

SEE MY THREAD REGARDING TRACK DAYS AND DIGEST.
Old 07 November 2001, 03:42 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

SEE MY THREAD REGARDING TRACK DAYS AND DIGEST.
A race car is designed around safety your road car isnt......be warned.
Old 07 November 2001, 04:16 PM
Gavin G
Scooby Regular

Question

Kryten,

Does your insurance cover you in the event of an accident like that where the car wasnt being used for normal use?

Maybe its different in the UK but I know here in Ireland it doesnt.
Old 07 November 2001, 06:26 PM
ROBERT BARNES
Scooby Regular

Kryten glad you got home ok,i felt for you that day and the recovery drivers comment did'nt help*is it worth taking home* cheeky t**t,will send you some pics soon just got to get them sorted out.hope everything goes well with the insurence etc.Rob
Old 07 November 2001, 06:35 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Thumbs down

Oh No!!! not another
that Crainer ought to be straightened out, or put a by-pass round it!

i've seen enough of crainer my self this weekend!

glad you got out ok too.

Phil
Old 07 November 2001, 08:58 PM
adge
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Kryten and MTR Sorry to hear of your escapades, the main thing is that you are both OK with only your prides hurt.
This will always happen due to inexperience, mechanical failures, other cars etc which is of no consolation only to say that if you are going to do trackdays at race tracks, be prepared to end up with a pile of scrap and make sure your car is a safe as possible so you don't get hurt.
The problem is that the best bit about having fast cars is driving them on the limit. The trouble with race circuits is gravel traps and tyre walls.
I personnally would only take the 22b on track at a place like Bedford Autodrome with no walls and gravel, but them I'm a wuss.

Hope you both recover and get your cars sorted ASAP.
Best wishes
Adge
Old 08 November 2001, 12:11 AM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear about the accident.

Any pics ?!?!
Old 10 November 2001, 08:39 AM
GialloEvoII
Scooby Regular

Glad you were ok I think you were at the quid a go petrol station as me yellow evo grale.
As i came round the corner(on the track )****e all over the track and you upside down.
Glad you were o.k i got bollocked for stopping to help you and your passenger out but what do you do ,at the breifing they said there werent many marshalls.
My car lost all its brakes after stopping as it boiled the fluid handbrake up no cooling down lap.

Hope your insurance pays out ok

Ellis
Old 10 November 2001, 09:39 AM
bdrought
Scooby Regular

Glad to hear you're both ok. On an Exige day a few weeks ago, an Exige driver overcooked it into Craner on the wrong line totally. The guy folowing him counted 8 complete revolutions as he went across the grass in excess of 100mph.

Should there be a bit of emphasis given by the track day organisers to corners like Craner? i.e. given a diagram of the line etc? On pretty much every track theres at least one corner to come unstuck at.

My first track day was at Donno, and even at the end I didnt have the confidence to push Craner.

Bri
Old 10 November 2001, 10:22 AM
TKH
Scooby Regular

Talking

Glad your o.k.

craner is sweet when you get it perfect but unforgiving of mid entry corrections or just a fraction too much speed, i suggested they put some of those sleeping police men mid bend but it went straight over there heads

anyway hope you get your car back soon

Regards

Tim

Quick Reply: It was my RB5 @ Dono