Sponsored by:

SAT NAV

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2006, 05:44 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SAT NAV

hello im toying with the idea of getting a sat nav for the scoob to help me get about . i was wondering if any of you could recommend a system to me thats fairly reliable and also i was thinking of one that may include speed camera locations as well cos ill be getting rid of the road angel to fund the sat nav. i dont really want an extortinately expensive system and was even looking at a 2nd hand one off that well known web auction site. thanks in advance for your help
Old 09 July 2006, 05:47 PM
fieldy
Scooby Regular

i will be getting one soon aswell, mate. by the looks of it a Tom Tom is the way to go. HTH

cant help with different model numbers, but im sure someone will point you in the right direction
Old 09 July 2006, 05:59 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

its the tom tom that keeps catching my eye as well but id like to know if there any good before i splash my cash. also i would like to know what the subs are as well please.
cheers ste
Old 09 July 2006, 06:09 PM
gotmashed
Scooby Regular

ive got a navman icn 510 and its a great bit of kit altho i havent really used it on any major trips but have played about finding my way home or to mates house's brings me to the door
Old 09 July 2006, 06:10 PM
sparky d
Scooby Regular

Location: irchester / northants , can also be found at babs.forumotion.com

Tom Tom go 700 is the best one out at the mo , the other models use memory cards but this one uses hard drive , just go to the tom tom websight for any other info you need guys and thats where you can download any extras such as european maps , voices , speed camera locations etc

Dave
Old 09 July 2006, 06:11 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

I have a tom tom 700. With speed camera's downloaded from http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/ also a PDA with viamichelin software and Navigator 5 software.
I like the PDA as its also a small computer and I keep my PDA sync with my home computer. Navigator 5 software is better than the viamichelin and easier to use. The viamichelin postcodes is next to u/s.
But if you only want Sat/Nav and speed cameras the TomTom is the one to go for.
Old 09 July 2006, 06:14 PM
fieldy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sparky d
Tom Tom go 700 is the best one out at the mo , the other models use memory cards but this one uses hard drive , just go to the tom tom websight for any other info you need guys and thats where you can download any extras such as european maps , voices , speed camera locations etc

Dave
thanks mate. my mind is made up

Trending Topics

Old 09 July 2006, 06:25 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

I have a Tom Tom One which i've only used a few times.... i was going to put it on eBay but if you'd like to make me an offer then please do

It's boxed pretty much as new with all the manuals etc and has all the camera locations already loaded in

Tony.
Old 09 July 2006, 06:46 PM
sparky300
Scooby Regular

tom tom all the way.

if you have a computer and a tom tom you are sorted. download up todate maps free on line, and update speed cam every week is easy and free (so many free sites about). links withyour phone and the new ones even with your ipod!!!
Old 09 July 2006, 06:50 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I have a tom tom and I love it.

the one to have now isnot the 700, its the 910, it comes with speed camera locations pre installed, but it doesnt update. for that you need a subscription.
Old 09 July 2006, 06:59 PM
Her at the back
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tone Loc
I have a Tom Tom One which i've only used a few times.... i was going to put it on eBay but if you'd like to make me an offer then please do

It's boxed pretty much as new with all the manuals etc and has all the camera locations already loaded in

Tony.
price?
Old 09 July 2006, 07:37 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

As far as I'm concerned Garmin are the business. Bit more technically orientated than the Tom Tom units. Depends what you're interested in I guess. I've got a Garmin Quest at the moment about to change to a Nuvi 350.
Old 09 July 2006, 10:34 PM
cfc2
Scooby Regular

Default garmin

Garmin is the one..... i've got the 300.Slim enuff to fit in your pocket when you leave the car, fast great processor, quick to pick up satlites and quick in recalculating your journeys love it can't say enuff.

Can't spell satilites tho
Old 09 July 2006, 10:41 PM
Simes777
Scooby Regular

Another vote for Garmin here. I've had a Nuvi 300 for a few months which is fine. It's been updated to a 310 and now has bluetooth capability.
Old 09 July 2006, 10:41 PM
MazingerZ
Scooby Regular

Snooper Indago is the best out there right now! it has the best aerial and can be picked up from ebay for around £330-£350
Old 11 July 2006, 03:24 PM
andy hs
Scooby Regular

I have used my pda with TomTom but found it unreliable so got Tom Tom mobile to use with my SPV phone which seemed to be ok until someone rang and after finishing the call the phone would not revert back to the navigation system but totally locked out, leaving you to reboot the phone and reload Tom Tom again and then enter your destination and sit and wait while it laoded the route.

After all this grief I finally gave up and decided to get a dedicated sat nav system and bought a Navman ic520 from The Link for £149 and have had no trouble with it and even loaded the Safety Camera sites off GPS World.

Andy.
Old 11 July 2006, 03:28 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

I use a pda with tom tom 5 and all the speed cameras loaded etc. Works perfectly well and you can play games on it as well. (whilst stationary of course!)
Old 11 July 2006, 03:31 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

on the opposite findings to andy hs, I've got TomTom running on my PDA (HP hw6515) - tbh in the year I've had it, with exception of one time, it's run like clockwork. Perfect. That includes several trips to major cities and down to the south west coast.

Dan
Old 11 July 2006, 06:50 PM
smartbase
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by sparky300
tom tom all the way.

if you have a computer and a tom tom you are sorted. download up todate maps free on line, and update speed cam every week is easy and free (so many free sites about). links withyour phone and the new ones even with your ipod!!!
I have TomTom 700 too and thinks it's excellent, but where can you download up to date free maps ?
Old 12 July 2006, 07:05 PM
sparky300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adam M
I have a tom tom and I love it.

the one to have now isnot the 700, its the 910, it comes with speed camera locations pre installed, but it doesnt update. for that you need a subscription.
you dont need to subscription for cam downloads, i have a 300 and download all the new speed cams every weeks for free, there are loads of sites that offer free tom tom goodies like that, i even downloaded new voices for free. i keep fill my card had to get a bigger one!
Old 12 July 2006, 07:09 PM
sparky300
Scooby Regular

DOWNLOAD ALL YOUR FREE TOM TOM SPEED CAM DATABASE HERE: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras

my 300 did not have speed cams on i download from here every once and a while to keep up todate.
Old 12 July 2006, 07:10 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy hs

After all this grief I finally gave up and decided to get a dedicated sat nav system and bought a Navman ic520 from The Link for £149 and have had no trouble with it and even loaded the Safety Camera sites off GPS World.

Andy.
was this a special offer at the time as they seem to charge a lot more now?
Old 12 July 2006, 07:12 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

just got a Tom Tom myself dead easy to use and has the speed camera locations as well
Old 12 July 2006, 08:50 PM
shep ppp
Scooby Regular

Tom Tom 700 you can use your phone through it as well (bluetooth)
Old 13 July 2006, 12:59 PM
Charles aka Charlie
Scooby Regular

I've got the Tom Tom One, sure it doesn't connect with you Ipod etc but does connect with your mobile for traffic updates, weather etc.

I find it more than adequate for my need and not bad for around the £200 mark.

Never got lost with it and NEVER had any issues with it.
Old 13 July 2006, 11:07 PM
mwp
Scooby Regular

garmin i3 ... simple and small and has poi interface ...

best of all, got mine for £130 .... looks duff so nobody will bother nicking it.

- Mark.
Old 13 July 2006, 11:47 PM
Andy S.
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by moneys
hello im toying with the idea of getting a sat nav for the scoob to help me get about . i was wondering if any of you could recommend a system to me thats fairly reliable and also i was thinking of one that may include speed camera locations as well cos ill be getting rid of the road angel to fund the sat nav. i dont really want an extortinately expensive system and was even looking at a 2nd hand one off that well known web auction site. thanks in advance for your help
You should have asked at the last meet could have shown you my Tom Tom 5

I think its great
Old 13 July 2006, 11:49 PM
Andy S.
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by sparky300
DOWNLOAD ALL YOUR FREE TOM TOM SPEED CAM DATABASE HERE: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras

my 300 did not have speed cams on i download from here every once and a while to keep up todate.
Think you will find you have to subscribe now
Old 13 July 2006, 11:55 PM
daijones
Scooby Regular

was swearing by my tom tom, mainly because of the speed cameras. it replaced my road angel, but the functionality is nowhere as good. Had an issue in Cornwall last weekend though, it took me down some b*****d tight lanes, including one only a foot wider than the car. It also dumped me in the middle of a housing estate in an entirely different village to the one i asked for. It's fine on main roads, but doesn't seem to like B roads or below. Or rather, it likes them too much!
Old 14 July 2006, 01:13 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

That's the benefit of the Garmin's. You have more options, you can choose fastest or shortest routes, you can choose routes optimised for pushbike, motorbike, car, van, lorry, caravan, you can choose speeds for each class of road, choose to avoid toll roads stuff like that.

May take a bit of effort to get all the options spot on, but at least you have the option. If you can't be ar*ed to play with settings the defaults are as good as the others and probably better.

And the maps are always available with updates, not free but they are available if you think it's worth paying to be up to date.

Garmin - a sat nav for people who can read maps and navigate but would rather let a machine do it sometimes. Tom tom - a sat nav for people who can't read maps. Nothing wrong with that of course just choose the one that suits you.

Quick Reply: SAT NAV