Who would win this sprint:

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2006, 11:25 AM
[MikeyB]
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who would win this sprint:

WRX running 300BHP (exactly) - 5 speed VS STI running 300BHP (exactly) 6 speed

Just wondered which car would hit 60 first as the STI would need 2 gear changes and the WRX would only need one?

Cheers, MikeyB
Old 09 July 2006, 11:28 AM
Bat-Fink
Scooby Regular

What year are both cars?
Old 09 July 2006, 02:35 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

everthing else being equal the WRX weights ~100kgs less that the STI so in theory the WRX should be the quicker car. However 0-60 is not going to give you much of an indication as there won't be a lot in it either way and yes the 6sp STI needs an extra gear change.

IIRC Andy F has said that an STI would need around 30-40bhp more to make up for the extra weight. Before anyone points it out, the cam difference doesn't matter..!

Old 09 July 2006, 02:42 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The STi would win, puts more air onto the intercooler=more power, quicker gear accelleration, higher revving engine, better torque.

Tony
Old 09 July 2006, 03:53 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

If you compare a standard 03 STi at 265PS to an 03 WRX PPP at 265PS then it could be safe to assume that the lighter weight and reduced gear changes will allow the WRX to win. WRX PPP 0-60 in 4.8s, STi 0-60 in 5.2s. Should transfer reasonably to the questioned 300BHP cars. Only other factor is the length of the sprint as the STi will be better from the mid range onwards due to better torque, unless the modified WRX has similar torque to match its BHP.
Old 09 July 2006, 04:16 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

0-60 just confuses the matter, a wrx will do 0-60 in 2nd gear, an sti needs to be in 3rd as it runs out in 2nd at about 58mph.
The overall factor is that the bigger turbo will help the STi over the wrx at the top end and the greater midrange torque will mean that it will get there qiucker

Tony
Old 09 July 2006, 07:40 PM
awd chadders
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
0-60 just confuses the matter, a wrx will do 0-60 in 2nd gear, an sti needs to be in 3rd as it runs out in 2nd at about 58mph.
The overall factor is that the bigger turbo will help the STi over the wrx at the top end and the greater midrange torque will mean that it will get there qiucker

Tony

Am I missing something. The original question was which car would hit 0-60mph quicker both with the same BHP? If the WRX weighs less and needs one less gear change there is no way the STi would win. 60+mph is another matter but that was not the question!!!
Old 09 July 2006, 07:46 PM
N*UFO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by awd chadders

Am I missing something. The original question was which car would hit 0-60mph quicker both with the same BHP? If the WRX weighs less and needs one less gear change there is no way the STi would win. 60+mph is another matter but that was not the question!!!
Unless you have an accurate sat nav speed device this question is crap anyway! I dont think there would be much in it imho.
Old 09 July 2006, 07:58 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by awd chadders

The STi has shorter gear ratio's and more torque so it takes a shorter time to produce its power theoretically, unless its up hill the STi would win.

Tony
Old 09 July 2006, 09:50 PM
wrx bill
Scooby Regular

Location: erm erm erm well it does lots to the gallon but it aint a scoob doh

is a fat lad driving the wrx and a skinny lad the sti who has the biggest feet can the wrx driver change gear quick is the sti driver bothering with the clutch does he care that hitting the limiter in 2nd will get him to 60 wats the wind direction how hot is it is the wrx black or blue does the sti have a flashing blue light on top
there is so much to take in to acount on this
Old 10 July 2006, 11:11 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx bill
is a fat lad driving the wrx and a skinny lad the sti who has the biggest feet can the wrx driver change gear quick is the sti driver bothering with the clutch does he care that hitting the limiter in 2nd will get him to 60 wats the wind direction how hot is it is the wrx black or blue does the sti have a flashing blue light on top
there is so much to take in to acount on this
LOL, Glad you got the blue/black comment in
Old 10 July 2006, 01:16 PM
Awd Chaddy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
The STi has shorter gear ratio's and more torque so it takes a shorter time to produce its power theoretically, unless its up hill the STi would win.

Tony
Sorry Tony I disagree. The shorter gear ratios simply means the STi will have to change one more gear that in itself loses a tenth or two of a second. The extra weight of an STi would also offset any torque advantage the STi might have (although am not clear why the STi should have more torque?) Besides I thought that torque only really comes into play with in-gear acceleration? Surely from a standing start you would simply keep both cars in the respective peak power ranges hence no distinct advantage.

I think Corradoboy's estimate is a good one.
Old 10 July 2006, 01:27 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Torque gets you off the line
Consider that the wrx is already modified, an unmodified STi is nearly as quick, they are more tunable and produce condiserably more torque than a wrx engine.
A PPP'd STi will do 0-60 in 4.5 v 4.8 for the wrx, thats 7/10's of a second for 40bhp, same as the wrx's but from then on in, the wrx will loose out as its turbo becomes more inefficient towards the top end so just knocking off the next 3/10's of a second up to 300bhp doesnt mean it will, its gains will be midrange.
STi will have it

Tony
Old 10 July 2006, 02:48 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Old 10 July 2006, 02:58 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasonius
Do this the easy way, the STi has the greater power band so compensates for its losses elsewhere, its also has lower transmission losses due to the 6 speed box, has greater torque figures etc, yes it will be close but the STi will pip it in the end, on the flat the weight wont mean anything due to other differences in the cars.

Tony
Old 10 July 2006, 05:32 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

I'm confused; as stated before a wrx ppp is apparently quicker to 60 than a similar power standard sti, so if everything else was equal then i'd say the wrx would be quicker if they were both knocking out 300bhp.

Of course, we don't know how they're modified to get this 300bhp, but assuming they're both running the same engine/mods then the wrx would be quicker (lighter, one less gear change).

Are we assuming that they aren't running the same engine (by that I mean the same power/torque curves)?
Old 10 July 2006, 05:42 PM
TimmyboyWRX
Scooby Regular

the WRX will have it, it stands to reason surely doesnt it, that dropping the clutch at 5k rpm from a standing start, both cars will be lauching using their peak power, Sti will spin up faster due to shorter gearing, but will lose that advantange due to the extra gearchange needed, and the WRX weighs less, therefore less inertia required to get it up to speed? so both making the same power the WRX must win if both cars were driven by identical drivers who change gear in exatly the same way with maximum efficiency?
i just cant see how it can be any different?
Old 10 July 2006, 08:13 PM
wrx bill
Scooby Regular

u all keep going on about this gear change the sti has a much quiker gear change than the wrx is the wrx bug or blob as the blob has a shorter stick also wat torque will they both be running well the sti sounds as if it has ppp so therfore assume 300 ft/lbs wrx duno prehaps around 270 ft/lbs how much difference will this make all we can do is get the 2 cars an see down the pod or elvington in my opinion i think the sti shoul just pip the wrx specially if it is taken to the rev limiter
Old 10 July 2006, 09:32 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

? the STI has a quicker gear-change? Didn't know they were automatics or something.

I guess that as we don't know any more about the cars than their max hp, this can't be answered.

Especially as the original poster has lit the blue touch paper and retired...

I think that this question can be answered exactly the same as "What car do you own, a wrx or an sti?" - i.e. I have a wrx, hence me suggesting the wrx would be quicker (assuming all else is equal).
Old 11 July 2006, 09:57 AM
[MikeyB]
Scooby Regular

"Especially as the original poster has lit the blue touch paper and retired..."

Hi Ru, just sitting back and taking in all that has been said. Basically, I've got a blob eye 2003 WRX running 264 BHP and similar torque with only a full 3" decat system on.

Just had the whiteline handling package on, (rear ARB and anti-lift kit) and was considering selling for a STI or just sticking £2K worth of mods to take it around 320 - 340 BHP (hopefully similar torque??)...

Can't be arsed with the hassle of selling and buying again so was going to go down this route.

de-cat up pipe, VF34 turbo, pink injectors, STI intercooler, Typhoon induction kit, remap, uprated fuel pump. (might have missed something obvious but you get the idea)...

I think the answer to my initial question has been answered. My next quesiton is, what brakes should I consider getting looking at my future upgrade? Will the STI ones be capable or should I go for the 6 pots etc??
Old 11 July 2006, 10:39 AM
94impreza
Scooby Regular

I would assume a 6speed would have a closer ratio gearbox meaning more gearchanges but a faster revving, faster accelerating setup.
Old 11 July 2006, 10:56 AM
s3emo123
Scooby Regular

Only one way to find out send em down the strip
Old 11 July 2006, 05:58 PM
wrx bill
Scooby Regular

the reason i say the sti has a quiker gear change as u say may not be rite but i my self can change gear far quicker in my sti than i could any of my wrx's had 2 bugs 1 wrx an 1 sti 3 blobs 1 wrx (shorter stick than bug ) an 2 sti's so have had experiance across the board also in my opinion the ppp 265 wrx doesnt feel as quick as the standard 265 sti does
as s3emo says get em down the strip end of the month i think
Old 11 July 2006, 06:43 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Awd Chaddy
Sorry Tony I disagree. The shorter gear ratios simply means the STi will have to change one more gear that in itself loses a tenth or two of a second. The extra weight of an STi would also offset any torque advantage the STi might have (although am not clear why the STi should have more torque?) Besides I thought that torque only really comes into play with in-gear acceleration? Surely from a standing start you would simply keep both cars in the respective peak power ranges hence no distinct advantage.

I think Corradoboy's estimate is a good one.
Your going to loose more than a tenth, a clutchless change with a dog box is around 20ms iirc, my slow shifts in a ppg were 30ms but you need to think the gear change also means time off the throttle (maybe) and time for the boost to build again, there is also a drop in acceleration whilst off the power whereas its constant without a gear change.. anyway I aint clever enough to work it out, and it also depends on the power curves of the two cars, as to where your dropping onto the power curve after the gear change.

David
Old 11 July 2006, 06:45 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And I quoted the wrong post
Old 11 July 2006, 07:23 PM
awd chadders
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by David_Wallis
And I quoted the wrong post
Phew! Thank goodness David, for a moment I thought you were going to disagree with me!!!

It is difficult to tell who would really be the winner if both cars go to 300bhp simply because there is no standard upgrade to 300bhp. Differing upgrades have different results on torque etc. What we do know is that if both cars produce 265bhp (ie STi standard and PPP'd WRX) the WRX will win. I still see no reason why the same would not apply upto 300bhp. Although Tony, I do accept that once you get beyond 60mph the STi may have the edge but, as I said in my original message, that was not the question asked.