My06 Sti vs WRX PPP

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2006, 09:07 AM
markmarkymark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My06 Sti vs WRX PPP

Morning All.

I have a MY04 WRX PPP. I am thinking of upgrading to a new Sti (with PPP). I need a car that can have light mods (like PPP) but which will not affect warranty etc.

So I test drive a nice black new STi (non PPP) on Sunday. My impression?

Hmmmmmm - I want to love it (and I think I do) but my initial drive gave me a lukewarm feeling at most .....

Power: OK .. so it had only done 400 miles and I did not really take it beyond 4500 RPM (the red light came on). So I guess I can not really comment on performance - but what I can state now is that my WRX PPP is far quicker up to 4500. I guess the Sti will be sorted once it has been run in and had PPP fitted?

Noise: A real let down. The engine does sound quite nice - more of a 'gruff' noise. Is this a feature of all STi engines or just the new 2.5 unit? But the exhaust tone was just 'inert' (equal length headers). The sales guy said that more people wanted a relaxed drive on a motorway without the throb .. why ??!

I would hope the PPP will help on the noise front but is the throb dead for good? Why put equal length headers on for ?

Handling: OK .. so the car did feel different to the WRX. I did not cane it around on the test drive but it did feel firmer. But not that much firmer?? I was lead to believe that it was like driving over cobbles compared to the WRX. It was definitely a more sorted car ....

Gears: I suppose I could get used to these - but I really do not see the point? 1st is a bit of a waste of time it seems. STi drivers - do you get used to the gears and make the most of them? I found a smooth progression more difficult - time will tell I guess.

Interior: Nice new red electronic dials - I did like these .....

So ... I have this 'hmmmmm feeling'. I have the money to change my WRX PPP for a new STI PPP in September. I have found no other car with the same fun factor (I considered the R32 for a while but not impressed). Perhaps I need a longer test drive - its just not quite set me on fire like I thought it would...

MArk

Last edited by markmarkymark; 03 July 2006 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03 July 2006, 10:06 AM
Neil W
Scooby Regular

Mark

I felt the same after my initial test drive and was unsure whether to change, so I talked to the dealer and managed to get them to agree to a 24 hour test. After driving the car on my own for a day I was convinced and now own a nice 06 Crystal Grey Sti PPP.

I also find the PPP a big improvement over the standard car but there are some on here that will disagree.

Try to get a 24 hour test and then decide.

Good luck.
Old 03 July 2006, 10:11 AM
BlueSimon
Scooby Regular

Only got experience of a WRX 03 PPP and my current STI 05 PPP, when the WRX was PPP'ed the low down pickup was greatly improved (would start boosting from 2300) but when my STI was PPP'ed there was no real low down difference, still only starts to boost about 3k, i dont know if this will still be relevent for the 2.5's

Simon
Old 03 July 2006, 10:12 AM
markmarkymark
Scooby Regular

Thanks Neil - did you find the PPP back box improved the overall sound of the car. I know this is not the 'be all n end all' but it is a feature I have always liked...
Old 03 July 2006, 01:26 PM
MickeyWRX
Scooby Regular

i have an MY05 WRX PPP (no mods) and when on the motorway my friends who are sitting in the back say it sounds like a tank, i didnt think it was fast when i first bought it from new - didnt seem as fast as my old my95 wrx import so i have either got used to the differnce or the engine has loosened up - cant decide!
Old 03 July 2006, 02:31 PM
Neil W
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markmarkymark
Thanks Neil - did you find the PPP back box improved the overall sound of the car. I know this is not the 'be all n end all' but it is a feature I have always liked...

PPP back box definitely improved the sound but I have full PPP (not just BB).

It is much louder than standard bb and the burble is back but it is no way near as loud as my old Ninja BB and can sound very quiet when with a group of scoob owners who all have big loud BB's. I thought I would be totally happy with this BB but now 4 weeks on and im thinking I want it louder.
Old 03 July 2006, 02:47 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

A little off topic i know, but having the Ninja BB myself, and having just spent the week touring the Lake District, i think the locals would want rid of my Ninja? LOL. I got some looks to say the least
And it aint half noisy driving 3 hours to get there on the motorway with the old Ninja. That is the only fault i feel. Ninja is awesome but not on motorways.
So stick with your PPP Box Neil W as i feel you will prefer it in the long term.

Trending Topics

Old 03 July 2006, 05:34 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MaDaSS
A little off topic i know, but having the Ninja BB myself, and having just spent the week touring the Lake District, i think the locals would want rid of my Ninja? LOL. I got some looks to say the least
And it aint half noisy driving 3 hours to get there on the motorway with the old Ninja. That is the only fault i feel. Ninja is awesome but not on motorways.
So stick with your PPP Box Neil W as i feel you will prefer it in the long term.
Or go one better. Get an exhaust bung from H&S for £35 for your motorway miles with the Ninja. As i did.
Old 03 July 2006, 05:48 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
Or go one better. Get an exhaust bung from H&S for £35 for your motorway miles with the Ninja. As i did.
Any piccies? Website links, etc? Please. And thanks for the info i am interested in this actually.
Old 03 July 2006, 06:30 PM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

find a ppp sti with 10K on it and take it for a GOOD test drive
Old 03 July 2006, 07:43 PM
markmarkymark
Scooby Regular

OK ..so MY05 / 96 STI PPP owners with a few miles behind them - come forward .....

Will I ever look back at WRX PPP - or only forwards as the road blurs before my eyes in my new STi PPP?

Mark
Old 03 July 2006, 09:08 PM
AlexT
Scooby Regular

Do yourself the biggest favour in the world if you're thinking of going MY06.

Get a JDM one.

It keeps the 2.0 engine, revs to 8k, will drive better and handle better. It's basically how the STI should be and not the bland UK Spec Version that we endure. If you can sretch the extra cash then go Spec C. You will NOT be disappointed. And if you go to a reputable importer like Litchfields then you've got a years warrenty as well.
Old 04 July 2006, 09:20 AM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

But then you'll definately get equal length headers and no burble.......

For the avoidance of any doubt whatsoever, NO EU/UK WRX or STi has equal length headers. For 06MY the exhaust has changed after the turbo and is quieter than it was previously but the manifold primaries and secondaries are definately still unequal in length.

Mike
Old 04 July 2006, 10:15 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MaDaSS
Any piccies? Website links, etc? Please. And thanks for the info i am interested in this actually.
I don't have any pics yet. But you can see their website:
http://www.haywardandscott.co.uk/

And call them on: (0)1268 727256

I haven't fit mine yet, because i've not done any motorway/long journeys, but so can't comment on noise reduction. I'll be fitting it in the next couple of weeks if you still want to know the difference, send us a PM to remind me.
Old 04 July 2006, 11:59 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by markmarkymark
Morning All.

I have a MY04 WRX PPP. I am thinking of upgrading to a new Sti (with PPP). I need a car that can have light mods (like PPP) but which will not affect warranty etc.

So I test drive a nice black new STi (non PPP) on Sunday. My impression?

Hmmmmmm - I want to love it (and I think I do) but my initial drive gave me a lukewarm feeling at most .....

Power: OK .. so it had only done 400 miles and I did not really take it beyond 4500 RPM (the red light came on). So I guess I can not really comment on performance - but what I can state now is that my WRX PPP is far quicker up to 4500. I guess the Sti will be sorted once it has been run in and had PPP fitted?

Noise: A real let down. The engine does sound quite nice - more of a 'gruff' noise. Is this a feature of all STi engines or just the new 2.5 unit? But the exhaust tone was just 'inert' (equal length headers). The sales guy said that more people wanted a relaxed drive on a motorway without the throb .. why ??!

I would hope the PPP will help on the noise front but is the throb dead for good? Why put equal length headers on for ?

Handling: OK .. so the car did feel different to the WRX. I did not cane it around on the test drive but it did feel firmer. But not that much firmer?? I was lead to believe that it was like driving over cobbles compared to the WRX. It was definitely a more sorted car ....

Gears: I suppose I could get used to these - but I really do not see the point? 1st is a bit of a waste of time it seems. STi drivers - do you get used to the gears and make the most of them? I found a smooth progression more difficult - time will tell I guess.

Interior: Nice new red electronic dials - I did like these .....

So ... I have this 'hmmmmm feeling'. I have the money to change my WRX PPP for a new STI PPP in September. I have found no other car with the same fun factor (I considered the R32 for a while but not impressed). Perhaps I need a longer test drive - its just not quite set me on fire like I thought it would...

MArk
Its really impossible to judge a cars performance when it has only 400 miles on it mate, especially a car like the STi where the fireworks don't happen untill later in the rev range.

The noise is easy to sort with an aftermarket backbox.

Ns04