Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6-7K to spend on engine. Opinions wanted.

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2006, 09:24 PM
white
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6-7K to spend on engine. Opinions wanted.

I am considering dipping into my savings and spending around about the amount stated on an engine build.

The amount would also have to cover labour costs as well.

It will be for an engine build on an MY06 STI.

I am considering going down the Axis route.

I am basically looking to create an 'ultimate response' car if that makes any sense

Something that spools quickly and pulls hard all the way to the red line.

At this moment in time I am looking for no further than say 360BHP with similar torque, with the capacity and reliability to go over 400BHP (not by much) with excellent reliability when I see fit to do so.

Car will also be used as a daily ride to work but will then see some track work (when I have the time!) and will pay several visits to the Brecon Beacons (as I live only 5 miles away from them) so it will see some hard driving on times.

I am looking for the money to be spent efficiently and wisely. A roller bearing turbo, spec C oil cooler and water pump are already on the cards, so there's some money gone already.

Engine must be 2.5 litres in capacity for the low down grunt, but also be willing to rev. Am I asking too much here??

If the final choice was to be an Axis motor, who would you recommend carry out the build for me? API, Powerstation.....this list goes on.

As I am in South Wales I don't want to be travelling the length and breadth of country.

All comments, suggestions and opinions welcome

Thanks in advance guys.

Liam

Last edited by white; 03 July 2006 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03 July 2006, 01:48 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

So, you already have a MY06 STi? If so, then you've got the 2.5! Get down to powerstation, hand over your keys and order this:
Street Legal Package
EcuTek Re-Map
3" Milltek Exhaust with Sports CAT
K&N Filter
~340bhp/340lbft @ £1350
inc. Comprehensive Warranty

Then, once they've done all that, get this:
Stage 3 - T25 Spec Kit
AST Sport-Line Suspension Kit
Rear Adjustable Roll Bar
Anti-Lift Kit
Front Adjustable Roll Bar
4-Wheel Alignment
£1400 + VAT

No-one else in South Wales will be able to touch you on the road. The money you've now saved = £2768 you can spend on track day tyres, helmet, gloves and shoes and lots of track days at £120 per session. Get some advanced driving lessons for the road as well while your at it, and maybe some cadence driving tuition from John Lyon

That's what I'd do anyway
Old 03 July 2006, 05:39 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Do you already have the MY06 Sti?

If so then as above, if not then get a Spec C and you will have all that you want and less weight to boot.

The Spec C may only be 2 litres but I can assure has more 'grunt' than most 2.5ls due to the configuration and twin scroll turbo.

A Spec C with Miltek and Ecotek will easily give you 350bhp + and 340 lbs ft.

Rannoch
Old 03 July 2006, 07:48 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Strikes me you must be close to the new Type 25 spec for that money.
Old 03 July 2006, 09:35 AM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

or why not ditch the 2.5 and get a built 2.33 that will rev to 8500 and be good for 550+?

could do that for 6-7k no worries...
Old 03 July 2006, 09:42 AM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

remembering of course that you could get about 1200-1400 for your original shortblock to offset the cost too...
Old 03 July 2006, 09:50 AM
white
Scooby Regular

The car should be with me within the next few weeks I hope. I have considered the PS 340 package but I also want extended reliability with my engine internals and feel that it would stretched on the standard pistons. The T25 handling package is already a must. Money has been put away for that, along with AP brakes and some other bits and bobs. I am now concentrating entirely on the engine side of things and want to know what people would do if they were in my situation.

Originally Posted by Neilo
or why not ditch the 2.5 and get a built 2.33 that will rev to 8500 and be good for 550+?

could do that for 6-7k no worries...
Because the block for a 2.33 is too hard to source now.

Trending Topics

Old 03 July 2006, 09:53 AM
white
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by XRS
Strikes me you must be close to the new Type 25 spec for that money.
I believe it's about 8 grand is what I was told by PS.

Waiting to see what other people on here have to say before I start making serious enquiries with tuners. I don't want to make a phone call and sound as if I'm some kind of day dreamer who wants to waste their time by phoning up and saying 'I've got x amount of money to spend what can you do?' I'm sure they've had plenty of phone calls from numpty's like that in the past.

Would PS take on the build of an Axis motor should I decided to go with one of Ron's builds??
Old 03 July 2006, 10:16 AM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by white
Because the block for a 2.33 is too hard to source now.
I disagree, these engines are becoming more commonplace now, the blocks must come from somewhere.....i almost had one in mine.

Last edited by Neilo; 03 July 2006 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03 July 2006, 11:33 AM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

if i had that type of money i would be streight down RCM if only for advice it could help you allot
Old 03 July 2006, 12:51 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

can source the blocks, I believe mark at lateral performance can do that for you easily.

I don't quite get why a 2.33 will rev to 8k much more easily than a 2.5.

The difference is a slightly heavier piston, but the max piston speed which normally limits the revs is the same since they have the same stroke crank - 79mm.
Old 03 July 2006, 01:11 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

ive often wondered that myself adam. However im quite happy with only being able to go to 7k!
Old 03 July 2006, 01:22 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2.5's can rev to 8k and beyond..... the one that will be going in mine does!

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 03 July 2006, 01:51 PM
white
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by webmaster
2.5's can rev to 8k and beyond..... the one that will be going in mine does!

Regards,
Shaun.
I'm guessing that PS are doing that for you then mate.

Would you be willing to PM some details and costs as to what you are having done please?
Old 03 July 2006, 02:19 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

white, it isn't rocket science and PS aren't pioneering anything.

My old 2.5 revved to 8500 quite happily but I can explain a few points that are relevant if it helps.

Theory dictates the maximum flame propogation speed. For efficient combustion you really want to b burning all the fuel at or just after tdc.

For an engine doing xrpm, this gives you a finite effective burn time window.

a 2.5 piston has a larger area of charge to burn in the same time. This doesn't prevent you from running the revs, it just makes it less efficient, and more pointless as the engine is unlikely to be making more torque, in fact it will tail off rapidly.

You tend to find that the larger capacity longer stroke engines make their torque that much lower, and in essence it just isn't worth revving further.

Especially as the more you rev, the greater the load on the big ends. From experience, it just isn't worth revving a torquey larger capacity engine much beyond 7500 unless you gearing simply isn't up to much.

Personally, my engine of choice having tried a few combinations is a 75mm 96.9mm bore ej22 (2.2 litre) happily revving to 8250 yet having the extra capcity to spool larger turbos earlier than a 2.0. That combined with a twin scroll would make the most rewarding set up. Unless you are drag racing, inwhich case a destroked 2.0 brought down to 1.8 or something, with masses of boost and an 11k rev limit or something. That would be nice to try.
Old 03 July 2006, 07:07 PM
white
Scooby Regular

Adam M,

Thanks for that mate

I won't be doing a drag racing unfortuantely.

What I am trying to create is something similar to the way an Evo 6 Extreme behaves. After having a passenger ride in one some time ago I couldn't believe what I experienced. It started to spool by about 2300rpm and pulled very hard, very quickly. It felt as if it had way more than the quoted ~350BHP.

I know the nature of the engines and the gearing are different but I'm looking to create a similar drive.

I have yet to talk in depth with a tuner about this project. I still do not know who to go with to take it on.

PS would be ideal for me as they are closest, but would be willing to travel to API for David to take it on. Nothing nut good is spoken about him on here.

When a few more suggestions are posted up I'll make my decision and go from there.
Old 03 July 2006, 07:38 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

API is who built my engine, and so far so good
Old 03 July 2006, 07:55 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by white
I'm guessing that PS are doing that for you then mate.

Would you be willing to PM some details and costs as to what you are having done please?
Why do you want it to rev to 8k? A T25 will rev that far but there's no point as you get peak power 350bhp+ at 5500 revs, which makes it much more driveable. The in-gear speeds of a T25 are unbelieveable, no lag, just put your foot down in any gear and you're off
Old 03 July 2006, 07:56 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Neilo
API is who built my engine, and so far so good
That's what I like to hear !!

If you want to call me at some time 'White' l'll happily discuss your wishes and costs.

David APi Engines / APi impreza
www.apingines.com
Old 04 July 2006, 06:50 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

If you're after recreating how an Evo 6 behaves, hate to state the obvious, but - how about buying an Evo 6 extreme? They behave exactly how you describe . . .

Otherwise, a big part of the key for you is a twin scroll turbo. With a decent twin scroll turbo, you can get high 300's bhp with much earlier spool than the non twin scroll's - even with a "mere" 2L (again the Evo only had 2L to play with). You will lose a lot of the characteristic scooby "burble" however - if that worries you.
Old 04 July 2006, 07:21 PM
white
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hades
If you're after recreating how an Evo 6 behaves, hate to state the obvious, but - how about buying an Evo 6 extreme? They behave exactly how you describe . . .

Otherwise, a big part of the key for you is a twin scroll turbo. With a decent twin scroll turbo, you can get high 300's bhp with much earlier spool than the non twin scroll's - even with a "mere" 2L (again the Evo only had 2L to play with). You will lose a lot of the characteristic scooby "burble" however - if that worries you.
Nah, Evo 6 is too old mate and I just love the way an MY06 STI looks. I know I'm never going to be able to fully recreate the Extreme experience but I want something similar. As for the turbo side of things I'll be going with a roller bearing unit for definate, but which one I don't know. A mate has recommended to go for an Avo roller bearing unit, also been looking at the APS units too. Which IHI unit is on the S204?? That's a twin scroll RB unit, but how much BHP is it good for??

Anybody know which headers to go for as well?? Which brand and whether to go for equal or unequal length?? I'm not concerned about the burble, just the gains.