Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

AT LAST......

[Edited by g man - 11/5/2001 12:30:01 PM]
Old 11 May 2001, 01:23 PM
humbug
Scooby Regular

I wear a suit all week and have kids and a mortgage. At the weekends however I potter about in womens clothes - especially keen on stockings and supenders.
But that doesn't mean I'm a transvestite, I just like doing it.

[Edited by humbug - 11/5/2001 1:24:23 PM]
Old 11 May 2001, 01:52 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Beamer_Deano LOL....2 was removed as being a bit too blunt

Fast Bloke - it happens through fear and ignorance

And yeah, I know what a rice boy is

M Hutton - point taken, but then what body mod really is all that necessary?? A 22b wing on a UK Turbo?? Nice to look at to many, but not necessary. Each to their own. And no one is asking you to drive irresponsibly.

Jerome - correct, they are not all bad

Barry - LOL, thought you would have come up with one of your own without having to rip of someone elses

Humbug - Whatever's good for you

D

Who's not having a bad day at all, quite the reverse in fact

[Edited by Diablo - 11/5/2001 1:55:03 PM]
Old 11 May 2001, 04:41 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Tony, EvilBevil and Vate, all good points made

Tony, not aimed at you at all m8

Totally agree that many of us have been there in our younger days and many still are

I too had the mini with the big engine, wide alloys (10" by 6"), Janspeed, K@n, etc, etc...

Thing was noisier than any Scoob I've ever heard Still didn't think ****, though

D

[Edited by Diablo - 11/5/2001 4:45:18 PM]
Old 11 May 2001, 11:47 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Gridlock, im only 33 but i remember them having chieftan tanks when i was in but what was quite a while back

Tony

[Edited by TonyBurns - 11/6/2001 11:54:14 AM]
Old 05 November 2001, 12:10 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Angry

Nope, not a rant at Novaboy, VTRgirl, Corsabloke or whatever.

What I'm getting at is the narrow minded attitude adopted by many board members (and others) in stereotyping people.[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] There are idiots in all walks of life, whether they are wearing baseball caps and driving small hatchbacks or sitting as captains of industry.

When not at work I dress casually, spend a lot of time with a baseball cap on my head (because I like it) and try and be extremely laid back about life in my big winged, noisy and stickered (as it left the factory) Integra Type R.

Does that make me a yob/hooligan/ned/boy racer??

Well, apparently yes it does (reading a lot of the recent posts on here)

Actually no, I'm in my 30's, married with dog and mortgage . I have "professional" employment (whatever that means ) and wear a formal suit Monday to Friday .

What I choose to wear does not dictate who I am.

I really have to laugh, though, at this:-

Take one corsa, add big exhaust, tints, spoilers, alloys, scoops and thats "Max Power" or just sad according to many.

Take one Impreza, add add big exhaust, tints, spoilers, alloys, scoops and thats "cool" and to be admired

See how ludicrous it looks? Or am I missing the plot somewhere

ITS THE SAME THING but with more disposable income.

So, to those narrow minded indivuduals in every aspect of life (and on this board) a few pointers to a happy life:-

1) Don't stereotype
3) Stop being so hypocritical
4) Open your mind
5) Get a life

D
Old 05 November 2001, 12:13 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

I'm saying nowt, i've been saying this for ages but just get shouted down as the blinkered looked in my direction.
Old 05 November 2001, 12:15 PM
Beemer_Deano
Scooby Regular

Talking

2) Learn to count

Old 05 November 2001, 12:19 PM
andrew6321
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Diablo,
Well said.

Andrew
Old 05 November 2001, 12:48 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Here here!
astraboy.
(winged up, loud dump valved, baseball cap wearing cossie driving cruiser)
Old 05 November 2001, 12:50 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Question

so if all stereotyping is incorrect, then why does it happen?

p.s. Diablo - do you know what a rice boy is? (not making any inferences about your btw )
Old 05 November 2001, 12:53 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Wehay! FB returns! How are you mate?
(Sorry to hijack yer thread, D)
Old 05 November 2001, 01:09 PM
M Hutton
Scooby Regular

I agree that stereotypes are bad not everyone driving cars and wearing baseball caps are boy racers.

I have found though that the majority of the young Corsa/Nova drivers where I live do tend to over body kit their cars. Air scoops on a Nova aren't really all that necessary, are they?

The tendency is also there to race other cars, sorry but in a 30 limit I am not going to go mental and then get pulled over by the police. (A short version of a much longer story)

It is this few we and the rest of the population form their opinions from. As always the few damage the reputation of the rest.

I like to think I have an open mind, just because I drive a Impreza doesn't mean I sneer at other cars on the road.
Old 05 November 2001, 01:14 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Question

I assume the steroetyping of BMW drivers isn't true then either?
Old 05 November 2001, 01:17 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

To quote from "It Ain't 'Arf 'Ot Mum":-

"Oh Dear. 'Ow sad. Never mind."

Old 05 November 2001, 01:48 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Cool

Blimy........someone had a bad day at the office.......CHILL MY MAN CHILL.
cheers
Colin
Old 05 November 2001, 02:03 PM
ianc
Scooby Regular

Hurrah. Well said Diablo!

As anyone that read my moan on this subject under "saxoVTR drivers"...

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?ThreadID=52009&Page=2

...will know my opinions on this one.

How someone drives reflects purely on them, not what they drive \ what they are wearing etc etc.

...and so what if their car would never compare to your mighty performance car (whatever it may be), that doesn't stop them enjoying driving, each to their own I say.

IC
Old 05 November 2001, 02:17 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Talking

I know a bloke who wears a baseball cap and drives a scooby turbo complete with dump valve and full scoobysport system.

Yob/hooligan/ned/boy racer??

Nah it's just my 62 year old dad

Sal
Old 05 November 2001, 03:31 PM
mik
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well said Diablo.

And to answer the question, the answer is :-
"Stereotypes are stereotypes because they are stereotypes".

It's a bit like the fact that "All generalisations are complete and utter 5hite".......

Each to their own.......even Max Muppets.
Old 05 November 2001, 04:10 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

No doubt some of what Diablo is pushed towards me and my post about this becoming a boy racer bbs
I myself am very laid back, i enjoy the good things in life and even though i drive a van to work i do actually have a professional job
What i was trying to point out is posts like "ive been done for speeding" then quoting that it was 50mph in a 30 zone
THIS is the sort of thing that we dont want on our bbs for a 30zone is for 30mph and even if we hit 35mph its nothing like doing 50 in a residential zone is it?
We all enjoy our cars and as enthusiasts its great as ive even modded my modest uk turbo (ppp, pd7's uprated brembo 4pots)
what i dont like is people giving us Subaru drivers a bad name
Only last week did i hear of one incident of someone who had a certain special uk edition car who put it on its side, he thinks hes a great driver, looked down for a second and presto, up appears a bollard.....
We all know Ladies and Gents that the cars that we drive need respect, and that the drivers who drive them need brains, but my big no no's are things like speeding through towns and thinking that your Richard Burns on a rally track when your actually on a busy road and being a danger to others
Diablo,
Your points are excellent but some of the topics that are coming up now aint the type we need to be associated with
My last post wasnt also just pointed at subaru drivers, it was pointed at how bad the roads are becoming of late and even today when i had mr clio driver and his front fogs on (and even when i put my rear fog on to tell him that his front ones were on he took no notice) and then when i gently braked for slowing traffic he had to swerve violently (even though he was quite a few car lenghts back as he hadnt anticipated me slowing and he was still accelerating and only just missed hitting the back of me [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] )
My biggest worry though is that your getting 19 and 20yr olds buying subaru's with up to 280bhp and going out on the road that really scares me as most dont have a brain in their heads and even when i was that age there was absolutely no way i could have handled a car with that sort of power and the speeds they are capable of, and if that doesnt scare you just remember that there out there on the road and one day your going to meet them (hopefully not head on when they do some stupid manouver )

Tony
Old 05 November 2001, 04:22 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

>>Nah it's just my 62 year old dad

LOL Poor girl. Ah well, it certainly puts a light on some *cough* pics that can be found in a certain *cough* forum.

Just kiddin', cool dad !

I agree D. Stereotypes (wait until they have DolbySurroundtypes !) are only fun if they are used in a funny way.

We need to get rid of 'm though. I have as much respect for a cap wearing 18 year old that is proud/happy with his Nova (or whatever) with big bore exhaust as I have for 'state-of-the-art' tuned Imprezas. We're all kids in a certain way, and that's exactly the fun part of it. Take it all too serious, and it becomes silly.

Car enthousiasts are car enthousiasts are car enthousiasts...
Old 05 November 2001, 04:34 PM
Vate
Scooby Regular

I can understand the way people react to 'VTS boy' (is this like 'White Van Man'?). I've only been driving 9yrs but I must admit that when I see 18yr olds and the like with small cheaper 'performance' cars, complete with fat exhaust, spoilers and non OE alloys, I am inclined to think.....look at that stupid ***. Then I remind myself that when I had my mini @ 17yrs old with....oh yeah, Janspeed, K&N filter, Minilites etc, that was me!! I still think '***' but I also recognise that I too have been one of them :-)
I would have thought that the majority of people who own a Scooby have at some time or other been the proud owner of what they now would feel is a sad motor with a dubious imgage, all that's happened is that you've grown up and don't see things through the eyes of a Big Bore loving teenager anymore. Maybe I'm wrong (prepared to be corrected!)
As for the driving style/quality of said younger motorists, I think we can all admit (there are poss. a few exceptions) none of us were 'great' drivers when we first passed )but we all thought we were). I'm fortunate enough not to have to use the motorway newtwork every day but for every idiot youngster I see in his Nova/VTR etc round town I see 20 complete morons driving nothing short of dangerously the once or twice a month I hit the M-ways. I may be wrong but I expect that most of these youngsters will prevail to be (on average) better drivers than the average standard of those I see on the M-way of 25yrs+ now.
Old 05 November 2001, 05:03 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Wink

Just my ten peneths worth, What's age got to do with it?

Just because a driver is young, surely that doesn't automatically make him/her irresponsible and dangerous does it?

OK so potentially 280 bhp is dangerous, but so is the 60 bhp in a mini if used incorrectly!

I was driving challenger tanks when I was 17, 1200bhp and 70 tons of romping stomping metal, there's dangerous, but no more safe when in the hands of a 30 something!

I have seen/been with drivers much older than myself who have made me S**t in my pants with driving that left a little to be desired to say the least.

Not saying that anyone is wrong, but young, baseball capped, bodykitted VTR driving dude, might just be earning more than you!

Mikey

(32 years old, Mortgage, Baseball cap wearing, de-catted, MY00 loves the noise, speed, acceleration, looks, Sales Director)
Old 05 November 2001, 05:09 PM
ianc
Scooby Regular

agreed, age does not always equal ability.

I have a collegue that's 20, and fortunate enough to own a 348, but he only uses the power on the right road and at the right time, at which time his car control has never been called into question.

...however, age *can* equal experience, which I think is whats called upon to spot a *potential* incident and avoid it, this is what concerns me, just my tuppence for what its worth.

This of course is probably absolute rubbish if the driver has covered more miles than most as they have compressed more driving experience into a shorter time? Discuss

IC

Old 05 November 2001, 05:10 PM
PEN
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hey D
Good for you mate, nice to see some of the old crowd still hanging in there. I don't even recognise this board any more I must admit, seems to have gone off on a tangent somewhere, never mind.

Drop us a line sometime would be good to chat.

P
Old 05 November 2001, 05:15 PM
zoog
Scooby Regular

10-15 years ago when I was the equivalent of the BB-capped brigade now, I drove like the proverbial t0sser but my reactions and skills must have been much better then. I never had any accidents until the last 3 years when I ve generally been driving "responsibly" . Also I got 9 points in the last few years, since apparently trying to behave.

So although I must have p1ssed people off I was safer if you look at the events stats.

Younger drivers are better on the whole than older ones, less dithery, better attention/concentration, faster reactions, etc etc.
However they tend to wear baseball caps not flat caps, so baseball caps are assoc. with the youthful motorist.

Perhaps we should slag off stereotyped flat-capped fogey drivers. Saga-louts!

Old 05 November 2001, 06:14 PM
SD
Scooby Regular

Arrow

We've had this debate over on Evo a few times. We concluded that it usually comes down to attitude.

It's fine that a lot of people choose to personalise their cars. It's not something I've done myself (I've only ever changed the radio and that's it). And I can accept that often modifying is done in really poor taste.

In fact I can admire a car that's obviously been well engineered in it's conversions. But what gets me is when they start making ridiculous performance claims and start hooning around towns and in McDonalds car parks. It's not big and it's not clever. It just gives all youths a bad name.

Wander over to Evo and you'll see a chap who's modified his Corsa. It's tasteful, he clearly knows his stuff and he doesn't have an attitude problem. If others were like him I'm sure the stereotyping would die out.
Old 05 November 2001, 06:42 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Talking

Gridlock....why do you love the Sales Director ?

I don't care about what type of person they all are as long as they drive safely. The cruise club round our way that occasionally race on both sides of the road in a 30mph area need to rethink before something bad happens. By all means do it, but there is a time and place for everything

I'd quite like to mod up a small car....what would that make me? A 28 year old thinking he's still young.....well I feel it anyway
Old 05 November 2001, 07:18 PM
scooby555
Scooby Regular

Angry

Following on to this thread does any one have a stereotypical opinion of VOLVO drivers. (cos I have!!!!)
Old 05 November 2001, 08:37 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Hey my bro in law drives a Volvo.

I have never,,ever owned or driven a car of sad or dubious reputation.

Have I ever driven like a ***? Er, well it was like this see.....

Quick Reply: Attitudes