Sat Nav hard wired?

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2006, 03:38 PM
Spoiler
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sat Nav hard wired?

Hi all,

I'm about to fit a new stereo and LCD screen to my bugeye this week and thought about trying to wire my Navman 510 so I don't have to use the stupid charger, with the cable running up the dash...

I thought as I have the stereo out and the some of the centre dash removed I could have a go at wiring in my sat nav so i don't have the cable visable...

Has anyone done this and what parts to I need? The only way I can see is to fit a ciggy lighted type part plug in the charger lead and hide all behind the dash...

Is there a easier or better way??

Thanks
Old 02 July 2006, 04:26 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Without going into too much detail

yes its possible, however the easiest way, is to hide all the wiring, and just have a cig lighter plug poking through where the socket is, then its just a matter of plugging it in.... if you go for hard wired, the simplest way is to jump a female socket off the back of the lighter socket and plug the nav lead in there. if you try to wire the lead direct, you have pcb to protect and position, (nornmally built into the charger adaptor)

Mart
Old 02 July 2006, 06:19 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I got a hard wire kit for my Navman ICN635 via Halfords. Had to get the part number for them took a while to get. This does allow you to move the unit to a different vehicle using the *** lighter adaptor rather than having to strip the dash out to get the lead. Best of luck Steve
Old 02 July 2006, 06:35 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Careful with the 510 - I tried to hard wire mine by taking a feed from the back of the cig lighter and forgot about using the internals of the supplied charger to alter the voltage/protect the unit - stuffed the unit big time.

Never got chance to try it again as the replacement unit got nicked ....don't need to hard wire an A-Z now