Sponsored by:

FRONT MOUNTED INTERCOOLER

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2006, 05:19 PM
truroscooby
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FRONT MOUNTED INTERCOOLER

Ive got a 1994 WRX wiv a standard Top mounted intercooler, Will it make much of a difference changing it to a Front Mounted Intercooler?

Cheers chaps
Old 30 June 2006, 05:48 PM
pnbond007
Scooby Regular

I have a 1994 WRX-RA with approx 300bhp and have been advised 'by a trusted source' not to bother.

Until having higher BHP!!
Old 30 June 2006, 07:40 PM
jamesbWRXRA
Scooby Regular

Location: Still loving the Subaru but now in an Evo 8 MR FQ320

I also have an MY94 WRX RA . I was speaking to the guy 2nite who does all the work on my car and he also told me not to bother with front mount for now as i'm only running aroung 280 - 300 bhp. You could think about about going for a larger top mount with maybe a bigger induction scoop .Although the choice is entirely yours.

James
Old 30 June 2006, 08:17 PM
jonesting
Scooby Regular

your pretty safe on the top mount until you get into the high 300's,after that get your wallet out and go for it,along with all the other bits that your gonna need.
Old 01 July 2006, 01:53 PM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

Good idea if you like constant cruising at 3 figure speeds
Old 01 July 2006, 02:10 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Not according to John Felstead; who has measured induction temperatures at prolonged high speed. I think that the 'three figure speed - TMIC myth' needs laying to rest. The issue probably has more to do with lean running and/or low fuel pressure than anything else.

Simon
Old 01 July 2006, 10:26 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not invest £50 in a guage to measure inlet charge temperature. Change out of £50 inc. VAT and delivery.
On an STi 3 Wagon with TMIC and 335 bhp, I find temps start to rise slowly after ,2 bar of boost and go up very quickly with say 1 bar of boost so much so that high speed runs tend to be for a very limited time. It is not hard to get 50 C with a litlle spirited driving. after switching offwhen hot it is possible to heat soak beyond 70C.
On a similar Wagon with a FMIC and around 400 bhp the inlet temps are far lower and much more stable.
As a result of fitting the temp guage with the TMIC I am far more cautious regards periods of WOT and while setting away initially after a period of heat soak.
Old 01 July 2006, 10:31 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
Why not invest £50 in a guage to measure inlet charge temperature. Change out of £50 inc. VAT and delivery.
On an STi 3 Wagon with TMIC and 335 bhp, I find temps start to rise slowly after ,2 bar of boost and go up very quickly with say 1 bar of boost so much so that high speed runs tend to be for a very limited time. It is not hard to get 50 C with a litlle spirited driving. after switching offwhen hot it is possible to heat soak beyond 70C.
On a similar Wagon with a FMIC and around 400 bhp the inlet temps are far lower and much more stable.
As a result of fitting the temp guage with the TMIC I am far more cautious regards periods of WOT and while setting away initially after a period of heat soak.
Harvey, have you got any details on the temp probe? Where is the charge temp measured and is the guage and sensor easy to fit?

Cheers

Anders

PS Still enjoying your headers!
Old 01 July 2006, 11:18 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Anders : Mike Rainbird supplied the last three I have fitted. http://www.randbmotorsport.co.uk/mik...torsport.co.uk
From memory, about £43 inc. dly.
Very easy to fit but make sure you follow the instructions and connect the correct wire to live otherwise you will bu**er it when switching on the ignition.
I mount the senders in the pipe between the TMIC and throttlebody and use Araldite to secure it.
If you care to e-mail me I will take somephotos of the head unit and the sender/location etc. As a computer ludite I dont know how to post photos on here but you are welcome to do so if you wish.

Thanks for the kind words re headers. Not enough hours in the day. Hard, dirty work!!!
Old 05 July 2006, 10:43 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

I’m looking at options at the moment – either charge air sensor or may be a knock link. I suppose the KL would show more problems, like a bad tank of fuel etc. I’ll e-mail you and get some pictures, so other people can have a look.

Cheers

Anders