ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.5 STI PPP Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2006, 12:38 PM
ProdriveSTI
Scooby Regular

Location: My Beautiful STi is now sold, tho on the look out for another MINT scoob.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5 STI PPP Test Drive

Hi All,
I just thought I would post on here for your advice & opinions on the new 2.5 sti PPP.
I went last night after work all excited & eager to unleash the 320ps engine… however not wanting to offend anybody who has bought a new one tho I was a little disappointed.
Don’t get me wrong the car is gorgeous & is very fast for the public roads however maybe it was me just building it up but I thought the car was still a little lagy in the lower gears, once in the power band 4,ooo rpms & above the car took off.

Question is….
Was I expecting to much or do you think the PPP was faulty?

I know the car is now more refined this is one of the reasons it may have seemed slower than it was?

Any body been blown away on there test drive? Or Like me a little disappointed??
Old 30 June 2006, 12:56 PM
Neil W
Scooby Regular

Well I was impressed with it but then again I have one but mine picks up very low down and compared to my old 03 Sti it feels so much more responsive and a much easier drive as im not revving the **** of it just to get it moving.

When I had my first 20min test drive (non PPP) I was not that impressed but then I asked for the demonstrator for a 24 hour test and this really helped me decide. Using the car on various different roads I really noticed the lower down torque and now with the PPP its even better.

Of course this is my opinion compared to a non PPP'd 03 Sti.
Old 30 June 2006, 01:15 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I found the extra low down torque made the car (non-PPP) much better to drive than previous STi's I've driven. My biggest criticism of all new-age STi's has been the 6sp 'box, which I have always thought unnecessary in a car with this much power. The extra torque from the 2.5 makes it easier to hang on to a gear longer, removing the need to be constantly changing up and down. I also liked the active centre diff, which makes the car very adjustable on the limit in hard cornering. Personally, if I had the cash I'd buy an EU import and spend the difference on some quality aftermarket tuning and suspension packages.
Old 30 June 2006, 02:37 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ProdriveSTI
Hi All,
I just thought I would post on here for your advice & opinions on the new 2.5 sti PPP.
I went last night after work all excited & eager to unleash the 320ps engine… however not wanting to offend anybody who has bought a new one tho I was a little disappointed.
Don’t get me wrong the car is gorgeous & is very fast for the public roads however maybe it was me just building it up but I thought the car was still a little lagy in the lower gears, once in the power band 4,ooo rpms & above the car took off.

Question is….
Was I expecting to much or do you think the PPP was faulty?

I know the car is now more refined this is one of the reasons it may have seemed slower than it was?

Any body been blown away on there test drive? Or Like me a little disappointed??
What are you comparing it to?
Old 30 June 2006, 03:03 PM
ProdriveSTI
Scooby Regular

Location: My Beautiful STi is now sold, tho on the look out for another MINT scoob.
Question

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
What are you comparing it to?
Im comparing my own newage sti... not gone for the PPP only got few minor mods etc...
I was expecting to be blowin away? but I was not. Like I said maybe I was expecting too much??

What the diff like between MY05 2.0ltr PPP???& the new 2.5 PPP
Old 30 June 2006, 08:27 PM
bluepolarbear
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
My biggest criticism of all new-age STi's has been the 6sp 'box, which I have always thought unnecessary in a car with this much power.
Eh? Can't speak for the 2.5l lump but the 2.0l absolutely need the six speed box, the power band is too narrow for 5 speeds.
Old 30 June 2006, 09:25 PM
suffolkdar
Scooby Regular

I M H O there really is not much difference between the 2.0 and 2.5 sti with ppp, They really do drive superb and yes maybe the 2.0 suits the 6 speed gearbox more. However i was not impressed enough to buy a new(or secondhand)2.5 STI and put PPP on it, I'm sticking with my 03 STI PPP until subaru come up with something much better for the money!
Old 30 June 2006, 10:52 PM
kev m
Scooby Regular

I have a non ppp 06 STI Type uk and am happy with the performance compared to my 02 STI ppp , the only complaint i have is the front seats with them having air bags in them they don't hold you in as well as the seat in the 02-05 STI's unless you are a bit on the large side
Old 30 June 2006, 11:23 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kev m
I have a non ppp 06 STI Type uk and am happy with the performance compared to my 02 STI ppp , the only complaint i have is the front seats with them having air bags in them they don't hold you in as well as the seat in the 02-05 STI's unless you are a bit on the large side
To my eyes the seats are now the same item as the WRX, but with the blue alcantara inserts and STi stitching.
Old 01 July 2006, 07:58 AM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

This months Japanese Performance has a review on a ppp'd MY06 and to be honest the figures are a little dissapointing.
0-60 5.0, 4.8 (ppp)
0-100 12.5, 12.2(ppp)
30-70 4.7, 4.7(ppp)
In gear times are also very similar eg 4th gear 70-90 3.7, 3.4(ppp), the biggest benefit it ppp appears to be in 6th gear where your looking at around a second quicker in the 30-50 50-70 etc times.
All the figures are provided by Prodrives Warwick facility.
Nik.
p.s. I saw my third 'hawkeye' last week', that makes two WRX's and one STI.
Big seller it ain't!
Old 01 July 2006, 09:39 AM
Trumble
Scooby Regular

I've got a 06 STI (no PPP) - I was considering it or the powerstation upgrade - but now I've swapped the BB and center - I'm more than happy.

No PPP for me - I'll keep my 1700 quid.

T.
Old 01 July 2006, 09:40 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

ProdriveSTI - how many miles had the test car covered? The odd times I've tried a demonstrator they've had as little as 18 miles on the clock so it's going to be as tight as a gnat's chuff

Generally, all cars will open up given mileage and then you'll see it's performance. I guess you're comparing the 2.5 to your existing car which is probably run in and flowing / fast and you're used to how it "ticks."

I went from a bugeye WRX PPP to a non-PPP 05 STi and then had PPP fitted after approx 3K miles (I knew what a benefit it was on the bugeye so I wanted it sooner on the STi.) The bog standard STi can be very peaky and you've to be nippy through the gears. PPP smoothes out the power delivery and makes it a lot more driveable. Other tuners will give you different effects - your money, your choice. The PPP can be a big laggy if you catch it off boost but that's understandable. Unless you're going to investigate turbo compounding on the engine, remember to get the revs into a useable band and it'll fly...

Dave, for the 6-speed box, my take on it is that they added in a very low first gear (for accelereation / pub bragging times) and the rest are normal above this so whereas a 5-spd would be in 3rd for a bit of oomph when driving, I probably would be in 4th for a similar effect. I use 5th for normal town / sensible country roads and 6th for open stretches / motorways to slow down the supping if not on a charge...

Last edited by Apple; 01 July 2006 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01 July 2006, 09:52 AM
wilb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
This months Japanese Performance has a review on a ppp'd MY06 and to be honest the figures are a little dissapointing.
0-60 5.0, 4.8 (ppp)
0-100 12.5, 12.2(ppp)
30-70 4.7, 4.7(ppp)
In gear times are also very similar eg 4th gear 70-90 3.7, 3.4(ppp), the biggest benefit it ppp appears to be in 6th gear where your looking at around a second quicker in the 30-50 50-70 etc times.
All the figures are provided by Prodrives Warwick facility.
Nik.
p.s. I saw my third 'hawkeye' last week', that makes two WRX's and one STI.
Big seller it ain't!
I'm new to Subaru land so forgive me if I get this wrong, but isn't the 04 wrx PPP meant to be 4.8? So the 'faster' STI with a larger engine can't beat it with the same mods?

Also, what's 'hawkeye' mate? (Apart from an old tv show )
Old 01 July 2006, 10:08 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wilb
I'm new to Subaru land so forgive me if I get this wrong, but isn't the 04 wrx PPP meant to be 4.8? So the 'faster' STI with a larger engine can't beat it with the same mods?

Also, what's 'hawkeye' mate? (Apart from an old tv show )
Some of the engine size upgrade was to meet the emissions legislation - the power level increases a bit / not much but you get a lower end torque improvement. Compare the times to a viper engine and see what engine size does...

A "hawkeye" is the nickname for the MY06 front end, specifically the shape of the lights.
Bugeye - MY01 / 02
Blobeye - MY03 / 04 / 05
Hawkeye - MY06 - ?

Andy
Old 01 July 2006, 10:25 AM
wilb
Scooby Regular

Ah, cheers mate.
Old 01 July 2006, 02:48 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Apple
...Bugeye - MY01 / 02
Blobeye - MY03 / 04 / 05
Hawkeye - MY06 - ?
Surely that's been decided as 'Jap's Eye' - Hawk Eye is the official term to stop such nicknames, so we shouldn't use it on principle!
Old 01 July 2006, 06:51 PM
scoobycar60
Scooby Regular

Having gone from an MY02 bugeye STI with PPP to a Hawkeye MY06 STI with PPP I agree the differance in performance on paper is minimal although mine is noticably quicker to 3 Figures... than my mates MY04 STI PPP
The real differance is more subtle, the power is far more easily accessible with less gear swapping, it is so easy to overtake on the road in the 2.5 without pre guessing the overtake point and getting the car on boost in the right gear before the attempt. This makes for a less frenetic process which is
far more pleasent for day to day motoring. depends on your likes Thought long and hard about a JDM STI or a Spec C ....sorted they are mad! perhaps next time!
Old 01 July 2006, 07:30 PM
suffolkdar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobycar60
Having gone from an MY02 bugeye STI with PPP to a Hawkeye MY06 STI with PPP I agree the differance in performance on paper is minimal although mine is noticably quicker to 3 Figures... than my mates MY04 STI PPP
The real differance is more subtle, the power is far more easily accessible with less gear swapping, it is so easy to overtake on the road in the 2.5 without pre guessing the overtake point and getting the car on boost in the right gear before the attempt. This makes for a less frenetic process which is
far more pleasent for day to day motoring. depends on your likes Thought long and hard about a JDM STI or a Spec C ....sorted they are mad! perhaps next time!

To be fair, this is a very good answer!, However it does not distract from the fact that in a straight line there really is not much in it!, As to the driveabiltiy it's down to the car and driver, if it's fast and easy to drive you want then get a decent TDI, that will be your thing, If you want a fast car that makes you work thorugh the gears then the 2.0 is spot on, the 2.5 is hovering( driveability wise) in the diesel area of driving.........
Old 02 July 2006, 04:44 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by suffolkdar
To be fair, this is a very good answer!, .

it is really There is nowt wrong with a UK 2.5sti, out of the Box STD a very capable car . As like the 05 the 06 is VERY quite like a BMW it does thing differently to the 02STi's. progressively rather than manic but achieves better results with PPP and 3+ years of warranty GVFM

Pros

3yr warranty
high torque
Full 3rd rear seat belt
heated wing mirrors
Headlamp wash

con's

low rev limit, high torque and 6 speed box
If you require more power than PPP and warranty , it's maybe not be your best choice.

JDM pros

2.0Ltr and 350bhp no problem.
Higher Rev band and 6 speed box
Rear wash wipe
Twin scroll Turbo
Equal length headers
folding mirrors

JDM Cons

3rd rear lap seat belt
Equal length headers (no sccoby burble)
No heated wing mirrors
1 year warranty (but extendable)

IMHO. IIRC

and probably the best looking Newage car since the 02Sti

Tony
Old 03 July 2006, 10:30 AM
ProdriveSTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Apple
ProdriveSTI - how many miles had the test car covered? The odd times I've tried a demonstrator they've had as little as 18 miles on the clock so it's going to be as tight as a gnat's chuff
totally agree..... the demo had approx 4,500 miles on it so well run in by now!! & I have seen that demo before bein drivin hard...
Like I said I was expecting to be pinned in my seat when in 2 & 3rd gear but this never happened coz of the lag... once over 4000 rpm it then did take off?
I thought once the PPP was on the lag was no-more??
The salesman did say I could get it re-mapped & this would take it up to 350? but I told him why pay £28K & then take it for a remap