Sponsored by:

Thinking about getting an 03/04 wrx

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2006, 07:34 PM
iantype-r
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about getting an 03/04 wrx

hello all, Me and he Mrs took an 04 wrx with 14000 miles on it out for a test drive yesterday, we were both impressed, I have an 03 Civic type-r at the mo, I had a type-r for 3 years sold it last year and bought an 04 Seat Cupra-R, not impressed at all, over the 4 months of owing it, it was in the dealer for nearly 3 as it had a knockng noise which never did get sorted, it was not a bad car, but i got bored very quickly.

I then moved back to a type-r again, Ive always liked scoobys but never drove one so i took an 1998 tenzo out which had 70k on the clock, not bad for its age felt nice to drive, but it was to old for me, i like new ish cars, so they let me take an 04 wrx out, we was both impressed,didnt seem as quick, but both cars are totaly different drives and i accept that, also didnt drive it hard at all, drove its a few miles down a straight road and through abit of the city, so didnt get the chance to really try it, also had my little 3 year old in the car so couldnt go to mad.

Im going to do a list of the pro's and con's of each car and ask for another test drive taking in different types of road and let her have a drive,

what do you the owners of these cars think, i dont want to go spend alot of money on another car not to like it and sell it again for a type-r, hondas are going to be hard to beat(not in performance) as they are a good car, but would like to find a car, other than a honda which i will be happy with and keep for a while,

cheers ian
Old 24 June 2006, 07:38 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by iantype-r
hello all, Me and he Mrs took an 04 wrx with 14000 miles on it out for a test drive yesterday, we were both impressed, I have an 03 Civic type-r at the mo, I had a type-r for 3 years sold it last year and bought an 04 Seat Cupra-R, not impressed at all, over the 4 months of owing it, it was in the dealer for nearly 3 as it had a knockng noise which never did get sorted, it was not a bad car, but i got bored very quickly.

I then moved back to a type-r again, Ive always liked scoobys but never drove one so i took an 1998 tenzo out which had 70k on the clock, not bad for its age felt nice to drive, but it was to old for me, i like new ish cars, so they let me take an 04 wrx out, we was both impressed,didnt seem as quick, but both cars are totaly different drives and i accept that, also didnt drive it hard at all, drove its a few miles down a straight road and through abit of the city, so didnt get the chance to really try it, also had my little 3 year old in the car so couldnt go to mad.

Im going to do a list of the pro's and con's of each car and ask for another test drive taking in different types of road and let her have a drive,

what do you the owners of these cars think, i dont want to go spend alot of money on another car not to like it and sell it again for a type-r, hondas are going to be hard to beat(not in performance) as they are a good car, but would like to find a car, other than a honda which i will be happy with and keep for a while,

cheers ian
WRX with the Prodrive Performance Pack (PPP). Honda will be a distant memory after that mate!

You get the comfort and refinement of the WRX with a bigger and longer punch (265bhp and similar torque) and can keep the Subaru warranty!

Ns04
Old 24 June 2006, 07:48 PM
monkeyboy840
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
WRX with the Prodrive Performance Pack (PPP). Honda will be a distant memory after that mate!

You get the comfort and refinement of the WRX with a bigger and longer punch (265bhp and similar torque) and can keep the Subaru warranty!

Ns04

I agree, just got my 03 wrx with PPP fitted and I love it.
Old 24 June 2006, 10:06 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

If you can stretch to it get an STI. I bought a WRX and traded it in after ten months. When you buy a WRX you will wish you had bought its bigger brother.
Nik.
Old 24 June 2006, 10:26 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Agree with Nik above, if the budget will allow go for the STi with PPP. If not, definately the 03-04 WRX over the classic, and defintely with the PPP. A few more quid spent on some choice suspension/chassis and brake mods and they are a stunning package.
Old 24 June 2006, 11:06 PM
wilb
Scooby Regular

Picked up my black 04 WRX last week, same mileage £11,995. Love it and that's without PPP. Think the STI looks a bit too 90's show car for my liking.
Old 24 June 2006, 11:08 PM
wilb
Scooby Regular

Oh and the amount of people who have come up to me and asked about the car has really surprised me. I've had neighbours talking to me who I have never really spoken to before! Everyone seems to approve, even the in-laws!

Trending Topics

Old 24 June 2006, 11:10 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Oi wilb, if you're in Barnsley, why aren't you in the WYIOC We have a few from 'round your way
Old 24 June 2006, 11:13 PM
wilb
Scooby Regular

Because Barnsley's in South Yorkshire pal!
Old 24 June 2006, 11:18 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Pedant
Old 24 June 2006, 11:23 PM
wilb
Scooby Regular

Only messing mate, not explored that part of the site yet. Suppose I could join as I do work in West Yorks
Old 24 June 2006, 11:36 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by wilb
Only messing mate
Me too
Old 24 June 2006, 11:43 PM
wilb
Scooby Regular

What''s the 'official' 0-60 time for a WRX of this age? I keep finding it at under 6 but it varies quite a bit. Prodrive suggest 5.5 ?????
Old 24 June 2006, 11:45 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

03 WRX with PPP is rated as 4.8s, STi PPP 4.7s. IIRC the non-PPP were 5.2 STi and 5.6 WRX.
Old 24 June 2006, 11:49 PM
wilb
Scooby Regular

I didn't realise there is only 0.1 difference on a PPP'd WRX and STI!
I can live with 5.6, for now
Thanks.
Old 24 June 2006, 11:52 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

The short gearing in the 6sp 'box means the STi needs a change to 3rd to hit 60. If they had the same 'box it would be more like 4.2s. Personally, I think a 5sp 'box would be awesome in an STi. It's not like it's lacking torque and really needs the close ratios.
Old 25 June 2006, 07:51 PM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
The short gearing in the 6sp 'box means the STi needs a change to 3rd to hit 60. If they had the same 'box it would be more like 4.2s. Personally, I think a 5sp 'box would be awesome in an STi. It's not like it's lacking torque and really needs the close ratios.
Go to agree on this point (FGS, Peugeot only needed 4 gears on their WRC cars), but I disagree that you need a STi. A WRX with a PPP (preferably a SL model), with a raid on the Prodrive Accessory catalogue (18" rims, brakes, suspension and quickshift) will give a car that can easily match a standard STi on a day to day basis and retain a degree of civility.
Old 25 June 2006, 08:04 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by craigdmcd
A WRX with a PPP (preferably a SL model), with a raid on the Prodrive Accessory catalogue (18" rims, brakes, suspension and quickshift) will give a car that can easily match a standard STi on a day to day basis and retain a degree of civility.
A bit like mine then .....PPP, AST's, Whiteline goodies, mildly uprated brakes, just need a QS
Old 25 June 2006, 08:07 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

As above really, but an extended test drive should be a must IMHO (ideally a day at least) as 'some' people, especially those coming from a sorted hot hatch, can be disappointed with a standard WRX.

Also bear in mind the running cost will be significantly higher than most hot hatches..! (~22mpg/ins/servicing STI ~16-18mpg..!).

However, a sensibly modded WRX is a very effective all round performance car/daily driver. Regardless of what some people think..!
Old 25 June 2006, 08:26 PM
John57
Scooby Regular

We had a CTR before our MY05 WRX SL...... the CTR was great but the Scooby a much more sorted car.

I found the Scooby as standard far softer than the CTR and not as involving ..... so had the PPP fitted. Performance is now much more acceptable - I just have to sort the brakes and suspension before it feels like the CTR ! I couldn't live with the overt looks of the STi though .... a normal Scooby is quite enough for me - the STi just a bit too much; oh, and they didn't do a wagon version which I needed so there wasn't really a choice! Just my view FWIW.
Old 25 June 2006, 09:38 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
03 WRX with PPP is rated as 4.8s, STi PPP 4.7s. IIRC the non-PPP were 5.2 STi and 5.6 WRX.
once the STI is past 60 its a different ball game,STI due to 6 speed box requires an extra change at about 58mph and then the beast is away leaving the WRX PPP in its wake
Old 25 June 2006, 10:03 PM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by powerman1
once the STI is past 60 its a different ball game,STI due to 6 speed box requires an extra change at about 58mph and then the beast is away leaving the WRX PPP in its wake
I assume that you are comparing a WRX PPP to STi PPP, because if you are comparing a standard STi to a WRX PPP then there is nothing in them through the gears - I've been, seen and I won the watch in the WRX.
Old 25 June 2006, 11:00 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by craigdmcd
I assume that you are comparing a WRX PPP to STi PPP, because if you are comparing a standard STi to a WRX PPP then there is nothing in them through the gears - I've been, seen and I won the watch in the WRX.
in that case i wonder why subaru spent a couple of quid designing and producing the sti then.
Old 26 June 2006, 12:10 AM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob r
in that case i wonder why subaru spent a couple of quid designing and producing the sti then.
Quite simple, the tuning potential is far greater in the STi, but like I stated, a WRX PPP is an even match for a standard STi. It doesn't take a genius to work that out Einstein.
Old 26 June 2006, 11:31 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Or a 'mildly' modded (tek3) WRX (280/280) is more than a match for an STI PPP..!
Old 26 June 2006, 12:47 PM
kgt
Scooby Regular

I bought my 04 WRX (non PPP) last year after thinking it would be just about the last car you'd ever see me in. I realise now that I was looking at pimp toy cars (330i beemers etc) and a few mid life crisis ones (TT's, Boxters). I cant fault the Scooby. I know its not an STi and I know its not got PPP, that means when I trade in and up in a year or so, I'm going to be even more chuffed than I am now, which is fine by me. None of my mates or family have a car like this and I dont know anybody else who's ever had one, so I was under no influence to go this direction, it was a best value for money (+grin gactor) decision. I test drove loads of other things and I was lucky to have a decent budget. I spent a lot less than I thought I would and got a lot for my money. And eveyone I know who gets in the car (expecting it to be harsh, plastic and tacky) gets out thinking its great. Finally, unlike every single other car Ive had (12 up to now) I havent got a single complaint - which is unique as I can be a right moany tw@t when I want to be.
Old 26 June 2006, 03:41 PM
Awd Chaddy
Scooby Regular

I agree with KGT. The WRX is always maligned compared to its big brother but not everyone wants to exact the last bhp out of their engine. I have an 03 WRX (not modded at all) it's done just under 30k goes in for (and sails through) its annual service and has never failed. Plus I get over 300 miles per tank full. In addition as a family man (with two children) the car is pliant enough for them to sleep in on long journeys yet still quick enough to put a smile on my face when I want it to. And as for the sound......compared to most 4 cylinder cars it has a really gorgeous rumble!!!!

Don't be put off thinking about a WRX by those on here recommending an STi they are both, in their own way, great cars.

p.s. I'm still working on the Missus to allow me to get some decent wheels, PPP and Prodrive suspension kit! Now, where is the home secured loan application forms..........?
Old 26 June 2006, 04:37 PM
iantype-r
Scooby Regular

First of all, many thanks for you helpfull reply's,

Think ill be going for a standard wrx to start with, hope to trade up to a sti maybe next year, will probaly do a few bits to it, exhaust,spoiler, scoop and wheels, a nice few subtle mods, just had an insurance quote £400 more for me and my partner who is 23 and just passed her test a few months ago, im 24 with 6 years no claims, just rang up to confirm, although they could not give me a years quote as my insurance does not expire till sept it was £80 to swap over now, so it should be around the price i got quoted.

So soon as we have got our wedding out of the way in aug, i will be putting my type-r up forsale and looking for a scoob, so hopfully be joing you all soon,

cheers ian
Old 26 June 2006, 05:02 PM
wilb
Scooby Regular

Uncanny, we've just got an 04 WRX and we are getting married in August too!! (12th) All the best pal and show us some pics when you get it!