Sponsored by:

sti type-r remap.

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2006, 10:05 AM
mystery inc.
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sti type-r remap.

hi. i took my car to powerstation yesterday. its a v6 sti type-r vltd. he put it on the rollers in standard form. it made 255 bhp. with a full miltex exhaust(decat) and a remao for optimax. it made 342 bhp and 285 lbs of torque. he was very impressed. he reckons that with a panel filter and exhaust he was expecting somwhere round 310bhp mark. the car is boosting at 1.35 and tails of to 1.1 bar. i think i might take it down the strip this sunday at santapod.

paul g
Old 24 June 2006, 10:17 AM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

Thats a blooby good figure on stock turbo.....with the vf28 on my sti ra it ran 324bhp with 300 torque,which i was informed was about its limit...

Then again you have a vf29 i think,which could explain difference.
Old 24 June 2006, 10:26 AM
mystery inc.
Scooby Regular

was yours standard or modified?
Old 24 June 2006, 10:44 AM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mystery inc.
was yours standard or modified?
This figure was with a 3" full decat,k&n panel filter and ecutek....

It made 276bhp before remap..
Old 24 June 2006, 10:55 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

hi. i took my car to powerstation yesterday. its a v6 sti type-r vltd. he put it on the rollers in standard form. it made 255 bhp. with a full miltex exhaust(decat) and a remao for optimax. it made 342 bhp and 285 lbs of torque. he was very impressed. he reckons that with a panel filter and exhaust he was expecting somwhere round 310bhp mark. the car is boosting at 1.35 and tails of to 1.1 bar. i think i might take it down the strip this sunday at santapod.

paul g

Those before and after figures seem disparately large. Forget the bhp (often termed brochure horse power) how does the car feel in comparison to before? If indeed you have gained nigh on a hundred break horse the difference in the drive must be equally disparate.
Old 24 June 2006, 12:41 PM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

paul g
Your car should be around the 300bhp figure as standard!!! My Type-R STI V5 put out 330bhp on the rollers with a straight through exhaust and 100octane!
Old 24 June 2006, 12:50 PM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

I think 280 bhp on decent fuel is a good figure for a standard v5 sti unit.The wrx s201 was the only classic to have more than the gentlemans agreement of 280ps afaik.

Was the 330bhp without a remap?Sounds like generous rollers to me.

Trending Topics

Old 24 June 2006, 03:26 PM
rmtypeR
Scooby Regular

This is mine - completely standard V4 TypeR with around 17,000 miles on the clock, run on Tescos 99 fuel...

Pretty much exactly as it should be... or so I thought.

Paul at Zen Performance pointed out that the dyno seems to have added on too much correction from the figure at the wheels... i.e. at 7k rpm the power loss (green line) is around -55bhp. Adding that to the wheel figure gives around 240-250bhp, yet the dyno has given it an extra 20bhp on top of that.

I'm a bit confused now, as although I can see the above makes sense, at the same time if ever a car should have made Subaru's quoted bhp, mine should of. I know it wasn't on 100 RON fuel, but at the same time surely after 20,000 miles the engine would have loosened a bit to make up the difference? Especially seeing as the SIDC faq says mine should be 300 ps!

Now I've decated it, I'd expect to get at least 290 (on the above dyno!) and I'm now not sure that spending £800 for a remap is worth it, as people with the same spec as me seem to make a max of 300bhp after a remap. My current thinking is to get round to fitting my knocklink, and unless that shows any activity, to leave the car running the std ECU.

Either way I think it puts to bed the idea that std Type R's etc are making over 300bhp in stock form, and that Subaru where just telling white lies!
Old 24 June 2006, 05:11 PM
shustir
Scooby Regular

Had my V5 STI type R remapped not more than a week ago, by a well known mapper. It has a straight through 3" exhaust, uppipe, k&n panel filter and standard VF29. It felt pretty rapid prior to remap, not sure about power as it has never been on rollers. Run on straight optimax. After the remap it still feels pretty rapid, but the bum dyno isn't seeing the improvement many on here go on about post remap. It was mapped on the road so no idea of figures. It has improved, but just not by the margin I was expecting.

TBH none of the mods above made a 'significant' improvement to the performance. Maybe I just want the earth ?
Old 24 June 2006, 08:05 PM
rmtypeR
Scooby Regular

I'm becoming a bit wary of the placebo effect. Before I got my full decat exhaust I'd read about what sounded like fairly major improvements such as the turbo spooling up earlier, etc. I have to say I've not noticed much difference, although there is a bit more power at the top end of the revs where as before it used to feel strangled above 6k rpm. People say how much smoother their cars feel, but I don't really know what that means as mine feels pretty smooth already!

I guess the model you have affects these sort of things, and that STi classics are already tuned pretty close to the edge so there's not much room for improvement.
Old 25 June 2006, 11:30 AM
Davey P
Scooby Regular

I noticed a huge difference when mine was de-catted and mapped. Only difference was an induction kit too. This was on a P1 so basically an STI5 engine.
Old 25 June 2006, 11:49 AM
shustir
Scooby Regular

My experience is similar to rmtypeR I did see an improvement after exhaust filter remap, but this is only slight. Nowhere near what most people say, not sure if it is the model of the car or what. oh well at least it spools up quicker and my 112mph limiter is gone (for those track days )
Old 25 June 2006, 05:19 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Mine made 321/301 with pretty much the same mods - so that's a good result!
Old 26 June 2006, 01:58 PM
mystery inc.
Scooby Regular

the 255bhp figure was with the base map. i spoke to the bloke at powerstation today. so it would of afected the power out put i would of got from a standard type-r with full decat. anyway. that aint relevant anymore. the car does seem hell of alot quicker than before. like a diffrent car.