SIDC Donnigton trackday 03/11/01

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2001, 06:57 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Dingy,

A ride in the legendary MK11 would have been nice.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Lee

[Edited by logiclee - 11/3/2001 6:58:54 PM]
Old 11 March 2001, 08:43 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

A massive thanks to Stef,Pete Croney and all who were involved in making today happen, I have to say it's been the best event of the year so far for me,great people,great cars,great weather,great track, it dont come much better.
Martin's (MTR) a Northern lad and we're bred hard from up here it'll get sorted and he'll be back sooner than we think
Brands next

[Edited by Mellow Yellow ! - 11/4/2001 7:05:09 PM]
Old 11 March 2001, 09:06 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

On my first lap out i saw MTR's car in the tyres, and my head dropped, its horrible seeing any type of accident, let alone someone you know.

MTR i feel for you, and i am glad you and Salsa King are OK, your Scoob can be replaced but you cant. All the best mate and see you soon.

I had a good day putting some good times together after checking my Camera.

Thankx to Stevie and friend for acting pit crew again, thankx to Harj for lending me his camera mount, and thankx to everyone for excellent Track Etiquette, i had a top 1/2 day and have learnt enough to push a little harder on Monday for the MLR day.

I think my car spends more time on 3 wheels than it does on two.

Nice to see evryone i have met, see some of you Monday ?????, then it is time to hang up the Wheels for the winter.

Matt

[Edited by Type R - 11/3/2001 9:08:35 PM]
Old 11 April 2001, 09:00 AM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Wink

Come on guys give John a break !! He is not being overdramatic just pointing out a few facts. The guy killed on the Sept 'Ring trip did absolutely nothing wrong, the bloke in front of him stuffed it and took him out

All he is pointing out is that it's irresponsible to not prepare for these eventualities, particularly if you have dependants.

Do you know everybody sharing the track with you ?? Do you trust their driving 100% ?? Their actions can KILL you just as much as your own.

Anyway, back to the fun part...

One of the best Dono days yet IMO apart from MTRs accident (glad you are ok mate)
Phil (s-k) glad you *got back on the horse*...not sure about your choice of pilot though

Nice to see so many MY01s on track

Sorry to those that didn't get their promised ride but as you could see I never had any empty passenger seat all day

Matt (TypeR) thanks again for the best passenger laps I had all day Where do you buy the glue for those tyres ??

Personal highlight was chasing the 2CV racers at the end of the day, total commitment, slipstreaming, outbraking etc and all at at least 85mph
The guy going down Wheatcroft straight bouncing in his seat for those *extra* few MPH cracked me up !

Cya all at Brands
DJ

[Edited by DocJock - 11/4/2001 10:17:07 AM]
Old 11 May 2001, 08:14 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Another great track day - good to see everyone again, Sal and I had a great time. Thanks to Stef and the other SIDC guys for organising the day! Big thanks also to Craig (yes I did enjoy it ) and Dave T-S for some stonking passenger laps - I'll post some piccies tonight. Anyone doubting the abilities of the new MY01 Scoob, I urge you to goto Brands in a couple of weeks time and hitch a lift with Dave T-S

Hope MTR gets his car sorted soon (although seeing the car being trailed back with the only the front wheels off the ground, probably wasn't helping the situation)

All in all, a good day - hope to be at the next one with the new car

Cheers
Chris

[Edited by Chris L - 11/5/2001 8:15:25 AM]
Old 11 May 2001, 09:48 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Talking

What a great day out Thanks to Stef, Pete and Rob (and everyone else) for organising it. It was so nice to see so many old friends and great to meet some new ones

The highlights of my day had to be Matts' jumper, Ian Cooks' anti-lag flame outs and Nicks (Chiark) ICE attracting the biggest crowd of all in the paddock

The cars on track weren't bad either

Can't wait for Brands and Bedford now

Sal

[Edited by scoobychick - 11/5/2001 9:49:38 AM]
Old 11 May 2001, 10:03 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cool idea Nick

Can Chris and me be first in the queue for the ICE install?

BTW the group N machine with anti lag.....that wouldn't happen to be Ian Cooks car that I mentioned in my previous post would it?

[Edited by scoobychick - 11/5/2001 10:05:28 AM]
Old 11 May 2001, 12:04 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
double post edited - can't drive a computer either

[Edited by Fat Boy - 11/5/2001 12:06:43 PM]
Old 11 May 2001, 01:30 PM
Tango
Scooby Newbie

Talking

What a FANTASTIC day out With brilliant passenger rides. Its hard to believe the cars can go that fast around Craners whoa

Trouser, was that your gorgeous looking scoob in the Paddock. beautiful bodykit, really stunning

Thanks to all the organisers for a brilliant day

Tango

[Edited by Tango - 11/6/2001 9:41:15 AM]
Old 11 May 2001, 01:54 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I just wanted to say again what an ACE day out it was

Cem

[Edited by Blow Dog - 11/6/2001 7:20:46 PM]
Old 11 May 2001, 02:18 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yes,

it was indeed another fun day. Dono days are always very well organised and the SIDC only helped to make it better still.

glad to see so many new people out on the track...and many more passengers contemplating having a go themselves. It really is the only safe place to exploit yourself and the car .

Cems skyline was sounding awesome.

The scoobymania car sporting their nice new front mount.

The NAM car going very quickly indeed (even when the dipstick wasn't back in right )

The scoobysport bugeye handling superbly on its ledas...I hate to say this but the new car is growing on my (Mr TS's Black MY01 is a real looker)

Mellows car and mine were very well matched on the straights...but his new dampers and slicks made the corners ever so slightly quicker

Glad to see LizzyWizz and another lady out enjoying themselves...my wife still refuses to drive LOL.

See you all soon.

Ian.

[Edited by igratton - 11/5/2001 2:19:25 PM]
Old 11 June 2001, 01:00 PM
MRK
Scooby Regular

Talking

OOOOPPPPPAAAAAAALLLLAAAAAHHHHHH I had a wicked day, and my car ran like a dream, thanks to the organisers for everything.

Mr. Askew after your little telling of our misadventure heres some snaps to help you relive that terrible few seconds.

Hitting the Apex at Craners, note the rather blurry hand speedily applying some opposite lock

Caught the first slide but now on the dirt & dust off line and the back goes again while trying to stay on track, more opposite lock. This time we are definitely heading for the grass

Heading over the grass, and thinking theres no way I’m going to avoid that gravel trap, as I’ve got no grip whatsoever with these slicks on. I don’t’ even think I tried to brake, what was the point

In the gravel trap, the noise was immense, and the car just felt like it was on air, then the back just whipped around for no reason. Note the extent of my steering into the slide.

Check out the dust whipped up in my mirror.

Finally back on track, followed by swearing our relief then laughter. It’s a funny thing what fear can do.

Thankfully no damage, apart from a slightly off centre steering wheel due to a huge bump coming out of the gravel trap.

It really makes you think, thank Scoobydoo for that huge run off, otherwise no doubt we would of hit something hard and very fast.

Anyway that will teach me to warm up my tyres properly

MTR I hope everything works out for you, and that you and your passenger are A-OK

M

If anybody has an objection to the photos considering MTR’s accident then please e-mail me and I’ll remove them, I’m not trying to prove anything other than give you lot something to amuse yourselves with. LOL

[Edited by MRK - 11/6/2001 1:04:14 PM]
Old 11 June 2001, 03:37 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

I had the honour of Phil Bennett teaching me how to take on Craner.
I tend to ease off a little to steady the car as you start down the hill as far right as possible, then floor it just before an early turn-in and aim to brush the little pole with the left hand wing. You never do, but I've come close as few times . Not had any problems but then again I only make between 100-105 there unlike the massive speeds achieved by others. Still caught loads of people approaching the old hairpin, mind.

I never think of getting Rob (or whoever) in the car anymore, thinking they must be far to busy with others. Must remember at Bedford

BTW, Phil didn't teach me the "ease off" bit. I've added that since as I dont have any "*****"

[Edited by DavidLewis - 11/6/2001 3:42:00 PM]
Old 11 June 2001, 04:26 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

I span down Craner a couple of years ago and it was Rob Mac that showed me where I was going wrong.
So Pete, is Rob Mac going to show you where you are going wrong up the hill after the old hairpin

[Edited by DavidLewis - 11/6/2001 4:26:56 PM]
Old 11 June 2001, 07:26 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Hello all,
Thanks to all of you that have offered support, the kind words and encouragement do help.

I have been feeling rather odd over the last few days.

A mix of disappointment in myself for allowing such an avoidable incident to take place, putting mine and Phils lives at stake, upsetting my wife and children, and smashing my car up, with the financial implications on the families finances.

My insurance company are debating wether I am insured or not!
So this could turn out to be an expensive impulsive descision to go on track. I decided the night before.

The thought 'what the hell have I done?' keeps going around in my head.

It has also been somewhat humbling,as during my driving career I have very rarely 'lost' my cars or motorbikes with such completeness.
The total inability to affect the final outcome shattered my arrogance, which anyone who likes to think? they can drive/ride well, has.

We all think we can control any situation, right up to the point of impact, then you know you can't.

Previously, any time I got into difficulty, I would sort it.
Reactions of a house fly and all that, or so I thought.

Anyway, the car is repairable, I believe up to now at least.
So will I have another bash?
Maybe. But it might be wise to give me a wide berth

Pete Croney,
I would normally take Craner in a similar fasion to as you describe,and use all the track width, and be on the power fully well before the apex.

Unfortunately, for reasons I cannot fathom during my incident, I had passed a slower car and moved over to the left, then without pulling as far right as I could, attempted to turn into Craner.
I had made the bend tighter than it needed to be, and the back progressivly started to slide. Initially I had caught it, but then some distance after the apex (I think),it snapped right round.
And I never lift once I'm sliding.

A consequence of going too fast on the wrong line with tyres which I already knew were badly overheated, (they were squealing around Redgate at 50mph on a slow down lap previously).
Foolish, Foolish, Foolish.

I had become too engrossed in watching my mirrors to see how one of my Northern contingent was doing!

You live and learn.

Cheers MTR

[Edited by MTR - 11/6/2001 7:33:45 PM]
Old 11 July 2001, 12:37 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Hi Peeps.
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for making this one of the best, if not THE best SIDC event EVER!
It made me very proud to see everyone having such a fantastic time, a bit like a shepherd watching his flock during mating season!
The only downside has been discussed enough already, but we should all learn from it, I think I finally have.
Track etiquette was exceptional, with only a couple of muppets (you know who you are! ). One interesting encounter I had with a certain car led to me having a quiet word in the pits. Imagine my surprise when his excuse for not slowing to let me pass, even though he was indicating, was that he "wanted to see how my car compared to yours in a straight line"!!!!! One bit of advice for everyone, please do not admit to the organiser that you were racing him, it doesn't go down too well!
CK1 felt stunningly quick as it was the first time on track with slicks AND my new AVO coilovers (more about them in the suspension forum ). I have also got a Unichip fitted now as well, but it wasn't mapped and was only running 0.9 bar. Despite this, it was still substantially faster than it was before when running 1.2bar!
Sorry I didn't get to take everyone out that wanted a ride.
Once again, thanksd to everyone for making it such a top day, that's what SIDC days are all about.
See you all at Brands, assuming my car has a new gearbox fitted in time!!! (don't ask!)

Stef.

[Edited by Stef - 11/7/2001 12:38:19 PM]
Old 11 July 2001, 05:10 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Sshhh - told you to keep that quiet

So is there a link to this vid anywhere?

I will have to consult my Autosport Circuit guide and see what the section entitled "Get all apex markers for a bonus" says.

I'm sure people kept on moving them

[Edited by CraigH - 11/7/2001 5:13:58 PM]
Old 03 November 2001, 05:26 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks to Stef, RobMac, Pete and everyone else who helped organised today.

Track discipline was very good and even the weather was kind.

A Special thanks to all those who took my retired collegue on track, his wife has just phoned me to say thankyou herself it was a day he will always remember.

Thoughts are with MTR who bent his Scoob at craners, hope you get it sorted Martin. Thoughts also with salsa-king who, together with Martin, wiil be a little sore in the morning.

I'll stick some pictures in the members gallery soon, including shots of salsa-king on his scooter with false breasts and hornet helmet. oooher.

Cheers
Lee
Old 03 November 2001, 05:41 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Superb day, excellent atmosphere, and wonderful to meet up with so many people. Really enjoyed myself, and my thanks to all those I cadged a lift (and helmet!) off.
Old 03 November 2001, 05:58 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
NOBODY POST PIX OF MTR'S CAR PLEASE!
Old 03 November 2001, 06:03 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Wink

I ain't posting pics of MTRs scoob. I thought it was disrespectful to even take a picture of it. Hope you get it sorted mate, felt for you

Most of my piccies came out a bit blurred anyway, you're all travelling too damn fast

Lizzy, I have an averagish one of you on track, do you want me to email it to you?
Old 03 November 2001, 06:03 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I didn't see any one take pics of Martins car but I'll second Phils comments.

Would people please not post pics of MTR's car without his permission.

Cheers
Lee
Old 03 November 2001, 06:54 PM
dingy
Scooby Regular

Had a top day....

Wish i could have been on track....

Next time when my car is fixed

Fast car needed down the straights
Old 03 November 2001, 06:57 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

It was my first track day ever, and I loved it, managed to get some in car footage, after borrowing M_D_B's camera mount. Could not wait to get back and view it, boy do I drive like a granny.

Thought I would time a lap (from the TV)and managed to do 1min 39 sec lap!! Whhhoooohhoooo!!
Old 03 November 2001, 07:12 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear about your car MTR get her fixed soonest and get back on the road

Tony
Old 03 November 2001, 07:21 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Hello all,
Sorry for stopping the session, but at laest you all got an extra 1/4 of an hour for dinner.

Sorry to Phil. I bet you will think twice about jumping in to a car with a stranger.

It reminded me of the Top Gun film, where the chap is telling Tom Cruise, 'Thats the best bit of flying I've ever seen, right up to the point where I shot you down'.
Phil had just been complementing me on controlling a particularly lurid slide, on the previous lap.

There is no honour in cocking it up, especially with a passenger along side you.

It has made me look at things a little differently.

I had been feeling guilty about spending the money going on track, when my 8 year old daughter wants a new bike for Christmas (no I haven't robbed her Christmas box), then suddenly the realisation that she and my son may not have seen me again was very upsetting.

I think it is time slow down, on road or track for myself.

For those of you that had the unfortunate experience of witnessing my somewhat ragged driving style during the day, all I can say is I'm glad I didn't involve any of you in my mishap.

I generally try and keep away from other cars, which is just as well considering.

I would also appreciate it if people did not post pictures of my car.

Thanks.
MTR
Old 03 November 2001, 07:29 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Good job you're ok! the worst bit was not seeing your car but the ambulance on track!!! brings home the danger of it all.
Old 03 November 2001, 07:39 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Martin,

We were all relieved you and Phil were OK. Give your Wife and Daughter a big hug.

Above all don't blame yourself, all of us have had near misses and got away with it, sometimes your luck just takes a dive I guess. I have been off with a number of drivers who have "got away with it"

Hope you sort it mate.

Lee
Old 03 November 2001, 07:44 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Myself and Caroline had a brilliant day out!

Sorry to hear about your incident MTR!

Thanks to David Lewis, DocJock and Mark Khan for the rides for both of us!

Good to see so many new faces!

Cheers
Andy

Ps - Mark & David hope your cars are OK!!!

Old 03 November 2001, 07:59 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Exclamation

Martin

does make you think! Mum had a go at me and said 'you havn't even made a will'! not funny at all. brings it all home to you.
least we both walk away, i hav a bit of a stiff neck still and 'ringin head acke', but that nothing to wot could have happened to us both!
you could not hav done any more than you did, just one of those times when things a wrong.
the 'little prang' can be sorted, lose of limb or life would be a lot worse.
NO PIX PLEASE!

Should all cars out on track have bolt-in roll cages and full harnesses in fixed seats??? as the passenger seat i was in dropped back on impact and i think thats why my neck has sprained cus i was trying to keep myself up!!! JUST A THOUGHT!

apart from that, a great day, thanks for the rides, M_D_B, Lizzywizz, David with the 360bhp black Evo (so fast), MellowYellow and not 4getting DocJock

good to see old/newer friends again as well. Mo, BlowDog, David Lewis and others,

brill to put a faces to Dave and Carolyn T-S

Phil

Quick Reply: SIDC Donnigton trackday 03/11/01