Medical question for the quacks

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2001, 11:42 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will mail you offline.

http://www.bupahospitals.co.uk/asp/treatment.asp#3
... for just one example of BUPA fixed price care £1200-1700 quoted for hernia. This seems quite reasonable to me when you consider the cost of theatre time these days, in addition to all the equipment costs.

What is the cost of a year's car insurance to a youngster like us these days? Probably similar ballpark for a fast car when you are in your twenties.

Offset the cost against the long wait.

[Edited by john banks - 11/3/2001 12:00:25 PM]
Old 03 November 2001, 08:03 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Sorry if this is off topic, but i know doctors are on this part of the board. Feel free to move it if it offends.
Last week I went to the doctors and I was told I have a hernia. it aint massive or anything, but its preventing me going raving and I hate it because of it.
The question I want to ask is does anyone know the timescale for getting it sorted? I was told that it will be weeks before I get an initial consultation, I'm worried that it will be years before I can get back to raving again cos of the waiting lists. Does anyone know if I'm in for a long wait or not?
If I'm going to be waiting for long, does anyone know of the cost of getting it done privatly? I wont be able to afford it, but I would like to know anyway.
Cheers,
astraboy.
Old 03 November 2001, 10:44 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Astraboy,I would,nt discuss someones medical problems in public but since you d'ont seem to mind I will!I take it you have whats called a Inguinal Hernia(in the groin region) as there are many different kinds.Waiting list will depend on your local health authority but I know in some areas can stretch to 18 months! Once you actually have it fixed you are usually back to normal in 6 to 8 weeks.Not sure what the private cost is,but has come down drastically over the last few years.Ask your GP to find out.Also consider having it done laparascopically(ie through keyhole surgery) this will avoid any scar so you can pose more on the beach in Ibiza after a heavy nights/mornings raving!!
Hope that helps,feel free to mail me offline if you want more info as I'm sure the moderators would appreciate it.
Old 03 November 2001, 11:14 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

From seeing my Doc. it was almost a year to the day before the op.
Embarassing when you have to grip your groin if you cough or sneeze in the street innit!
It was b****y painful straight afterwards but those painkillers I were given were brill!
JohnD
Old 03 November 2001, 02:36 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

John, cheers mate, you have mail.
Old 03 November 2001, 06:44 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Astraboy
one of the guys i work with had it done private for £1800 at bUpa, he had a double hernia though and was off for 4 weeks another guy had a run of the mill hernia and has been off for 6 weeks, so recovery must be a lottery.

Good Luck!!
Old 03 November 2001, 07:49 PM
GRANT
Scooby Regular

Wink

Astraboy,
No medical advice here but, my father who is 64 had a double hernia last week (Monday) is now out driving again and played golf yesterday.
So hopefully being yonger you should be up and around within a week,it just depends how long you want off work and if it is a very physical job.

Take it easy

Grant
Old 03 November 2001, 11:07 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

work aint a problem as I have an office job. Raving is the problem as I was brocking out like a loon last night and I went home at 1am with what felt like a knife in me guts. as you can imagine, dancing to harcore rave music which is pushing 170bpm, its a bit on the physical side, so I cant go to any raves till I get it sorted. This is the really upsetting part as I love raving and now I cant go.
astraboy.
Old 04 November 2001, 08:51 AM
DrJP
Scooby Regular

All the above info sounds right. Another way to sometimes get the time shortened is ask GP to refer you to a Surgical Consultant as a private patient who you know works in your local hospital. The initial consultation will cost about £100.
Then tell him you can't afford the procedure as a pp & tell him you'll get it done on NHS. He may put you straight onto his NHS waiting list saving an NHS out-patient wait. If you're fit & well otherwise, the waiting list for Day case surgery can be relatively short depending on your health authority.
Mind you no driving the astra or scooby for a few days afterwards.
Old 12 January 2008, 11:35 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by JohnD
From seeing my Doc. it was almost a year to the day before the op.
Embarassing when you have to grip your groin if you cough or sneeze in the street innit!
It was b****y painful straight afterwards but those painkillers I were given were brill!
JohnD
lol at the above - I've got a perineal hernia - I have to grab my **** if i cough, sneeze or laugh. So THANKS for making me chortle at the above !!
Old 12 January 2008, 01:20 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Wow those costs make me glad I get private healthcare from work.