Sponsored by:

On the subject of the Impreza's "Image"

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2006, 12:25 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default On the subject of the Impreza's "Image"

Has anyone noticed there seems to be two completely different stereotypes attached to the classic and new age imprezas?

When you see a bloke driving a classic most will instantly think "what a ****", I bet he rags the **** out of the car and drives like a prat. When driving our classic WRX I've noticed people look at me like I'm some kind of idiot and don't tend to let me out etc. But when the other half drives it (its actually her car) everyone assumes its mine?

But on the other hand when I see a bloke driving a new age I instantly think "mid life crisis", when I see a woman driving I think "ah your husband is having his mid life crisis"..

I know its horrible to categorise people but it just seems to be the case? This is the main reason I'm looking to buy myself a new age and not a classic, I compeltely agree the classic is a much better car but I'd rather fall into the "mid-life crisis" category than "******"..

Old 20 June 2006, 12:28 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by [Davey]
I know its horrible to categorise people but it just seems to be the case? This is the main reason I'm looking to buy myself a new age and not a classic, I compeltely agree the classic is a much better car but I'd rather fall into the "mid-life crisis" category than "******"..

Priceless

Classic is a much better car though..... depends what you define as better, but the new age build quality, rigidity and refinement is better than the classic, in fact the only thing the classic has the edge over the newage IMO is it's weight therefore it's acceleration and handling are more prominent, all of which can be sorted on the newage
Old 20 June 2006, 12:34 PM
esp ltd
Scooby Regular

I love them both but given the choice i would probably go for the new age unless it was a nice Type R and then i'd be stuck!! At 38 i don't think i'll get a mid-life crisis as i've never grown up They are all decent cars when looked after like anything else, i now sell more Evo's than Scoobies but for everyday running i'd always choose a nice STI be it classic or new age
Old 20 June 2006, 12:40 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by [Davey]
Has anyone noticed there seems to be two completely different stereotypes attached to the classic and new age imprezas?

When you see a bloke driving a classic most will instantly think "what a ****", I bet he rags the **** out of the car and drives like a prat. When driving our classic WRX I've noticed people look at me like I'm some kind of idiot and don't tend to let me out etc. But when the other half drives it (its actually her car) everyone assumes its mine?

But on the other hand when I see a bloke driving a new age I instantly think "mid life crisis", when I see a woman driving I think "ah your husband is having his mid life crisis"..

Yep, mine is a mid-life crisis, I thought it would be cheaper than a mistress.........how f**king wrong was I
Old 20 June 2006, 01:06 PM
BlueSimon
Scooby Regular

Mines a mid life crisis too

Should of bought a kia pride really

Simon
Old 20 June 2006, 02:07 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Well I'm 32 so hardly mid life crisis (MY 05 STI PPP) and to be honest I do think that Classics are driven by more ***** than new age.
I have found that, at least round here, most classics are driven badly and by Chavs. Hardly any Classic drivers wave back.
I think Chav cars are easy to spot though. Maybe a few too many external mods, cars looking very rough, windows down and 5 million deceble's of Hard house booming out.
A nice clean classic shouts "well looked after" and these are the one I wave at.
As for New age, I wave and at least half are driven by "Mid life crisis man" who never waves back. The other half are enthusiats like us, and give a friendly wave back.

Housewifes just seem to hate them all
Old 20 June 2006, 02:09 PM
badboy-scoob
Scooby Regular

anyone sayin ***** drive scoobs is just gelous

i love my classic and i get a lot of repsect in it.
Old 20 June 2006, 02:17 PM
chrisola
Scooby Regular

in short, no. none of those thoughts have ever occurred to me at any time, ever...until i joined this board and read all the crap threads on here
Old 20 June 2006, 02:20 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by badboy-scoob

"...lot of respect in it" or did you mean "respect innit"

The English language seems to have failed you

Old 20 June 2006, 02:31 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Well I'm 32 so hardly mid life crisis (MY 05 STI PPP) and to be honest I do think that Classics are driven by more ***** than new age.
I have found that, at least round here, most classics are driven badly and by Chavs. Hardly any Classic drivers wave back.
I think Chav cars are easy to spot though. Maybe a few too many external mods, cars looking very rough, windows down and 5 million deceble's of Hard house booming out.
A nice clean classic shouts "well looked after" and these are the one I wave at.
As for New age, I wave and at least half are driven by "Mid life crisis man" who never waves back. The other half are enthusiats like us, and give a friendly wave back.
Think you have summed it up nicely - all IMHO

Richard
Old 20 June 2006, 02:41 PM
Scooby400
Scooby Regular

Is that with your neons on or off??

(Sorry )
Old 20 June 2006, 02:45 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Old 20 June 2006, 03:08 PM
Daniel-S
Scooby Regular

Take it as face value then forming to sterotypesOwt wrong with hard house BTw
Old 20 June 2006, 03:08 PM
markGT
Scooby Regular

Over here (France) all I get is people waving and asking to have their photo taken with the car MY05 STI PPP. In fact when I had my classic over here it was exactly the same. You see the Impreza is a very rare car over here especially an STI variant, certainly no chavs driving around in them so the image is totally different to that of the UK.

I took the STI up to one of the villages near Le Mans last week where all the English gather and the locals were walking straight past cars like Ferraris, Porsche etc and were looking at mine (good for the ego) as its a very rare sight, Porsches and Ferraris aren't. Even the brits stopped and looked good to see a good jap turnout as well.
Old 20 June 2006, 03:37 PM
MickeyWRX
Scooby Regular

most chavs buy the classic so they can put a dump valve on and get that fast and furious feel, i had a classic for 3 years before i bought a newage, and its true when you see a classic you think "i bet thats been ragged"

Iam an anthusiast and an avid SWRT fan and love the car for what it is and can do - not just to fly round town centres making a tit of oneself!
Old 21 June 2006, 01:49 PM
Izzy
Scooby Regular

It's not that the "classic" has more of shall we say the "boy-racer" image than the later versions, it's just down to affordability & the price of cars. The classics are older & therefore cheaper & more affordable to those on more of a limited budget.

However, "limited budget" does not necessarily mean badly looked after as not all enthusiasts can, or want to, spend larger amounts on a car....

It's something that can & will be debated forever, but the reality is that any performance car will, when it reaches a certain cheaper price threshold, become attainable by those of the "boy-racer" or "chav" type. Enthusiasts & others in general might not like it saying that it's giving the car a bad image & everyone grumbles about it, Cosworth, Scooby & Skyline owners alike, but it's fact & we have to live with it....
Old 21 June 2006, 05:55 PM
chris25uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Izzy
It's not that the "classic" has more of shall we say the "boy-racer" image than the later versions, it's just down to affordability & the price of cars. The classics are older & therefore cheaper & more affordable to those on more of a limited budget.

However, "limited budget" does not necessarily mean badly looked after as not all enthusiasts can, or want to, spend larger amounts on a car....

It's something that can & will be debated forever, but the reality is that any performance car will, when it reaches a certain cheaper price threshold, become attainable by those of the "boy-racer" or "chav" type. Enthusiasts & others in general might not like it saying that it's giving the car a bad image & everyone grumbles about it, Cosworth, Scooby & Skyline owners alike, but it's fact & we have to live with it....
about the only post worth reading so far . alot of you people need to stop using that chav word untill you understand what it means, scooby drivers tend to class a young guy in a baseball cap a chav also alot of classic owners dont just buy the car beacuse its cheaper and they can rag the hell out of it, i for one got mine because i much prefer the classic over newage. worry about yourself's and your car not other peoples and get ya head out of your ****... owning a scooby doesnt class you as judge and jury on other people
Old 21 June 2006, 07:32 PM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris25uk
.. owning a scooby doesnt class you as judge and jury on other people
Wake up mate,your in scoobynet,of course it does!
Old 21 June 2006, 07:59 PM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

if this is my midlife crisis(49)on an 06 all i can say is roll on the next 49 (hopefully)
Old 21 June 2006, 08:08 PM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drive a classic therefore I must be a **** and a chav!!!

P.S. I've noticed that it tends to be NEWAGE owners that don't wave!!!!
Old 21 June 2006, 08:13 PM
EdwardH
Scooby Regular

Talking

who cares what other drivers think.

Name me a brand of car that doesn't get chav'd up ...... at least scoobyies wear it well.
Old 21 June 2006, 08:23 PM
Ben v7
Scooby Regular

I seen a few new-age's around my way that have fallen into the wrong hands. Bug-eye, like mine, but with twin 3.5" exhaust pipes at either end of the bumper. Didn't look at all right. I've modified mine properly, but because of the exhaust note I am sure I might get put in a similar box too. New ages and classics can all be subjected to the same bad taste in the hands of others, and many can afford a car under 10k in value. Whether they can afford to maintain them, or know how to look after them properly, is a different matter. Classics and now bug-eyes are now being seen both badly modified and scruffy. It will spread to the 03/04 blob eyes before too long.
Old 21 June 2006, 08:39 PM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CyprusScooby
I drive a classic therefore I must be a **** and a chav!!!

P.S. I've noticed that it tends to be NEWAGE owners that don't wave!!!!
ho yes i do:
Old 21 June 2006, 08:44 PM
scoobycar60
Scooby Regular

Been having a mid life crisis for over 20 years now... capri 2.8 to cosworths(still mad quick if sorted) to M3 (way dodgy tail swappers) then EVOs and scoobs. Everyone should have at least one mid life crisis!
Old 21 June 2006, 08:59 PM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shooter007
ho yes i do:
Its good to hear it then!
Old 21 June 2006, 09:14 PM
wonfa
Scooby Regular

ive got a classic and i dont rag the **** off it but then again it dont look like a 'chav' scooby as its always shiney and well looked after,
i find that the majority of classic owner wave back, but the newer the car the less likely to get a wave back from them,
the only comments i get are from the local chavy youths saying you shouldnt be driving that or your not allow one of those, because im a bobby
i guess they think that i must buy a mondeo or something like that
Old 21 June 2006, 09:21 PM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CyprusScooby
Its good to hear it then!
thank you
Old 21 June 2006, 09:22 PM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wonfa
ive got a classic and i dont rag the **** off it but then again it dont look like a 'chav' scooby as its always shiney and well looked after,
i find that the majority of classic owner wave back, but the newer the car the less likely to get a wave back from them,
the only comments i get are from the local chavy youths saying you shouldnt be driving that or your not allow one of those, because im a bobby
i guess they think that i must buy a mondeo or something like that
nope t5
Old 21 June 2006, 09:44 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EdwardH
who cares what other drivers think.

Name me a brand of car that doesn't get chav'd up ...... at least scoobyies wear it well.
Pagani..

...Oh no I take it back they stuck a big chavvy carbon fibre spoiler on the back of the Zonda F..
Old 21 June 2006, 10:32 PM
chris25uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ben v7
I seen a few new-age's around my way that have fallen into the wrong hands. Bug-eye, like mine, but with twin 3.5" exhaust pipes at either end of the bumper. Didn't look at all right. I've modified mine properly, but because of the exhaust note I am sure I might get put in a similar box too. New ages and classics can all be subjected to the same bad taste in the hands of others, and many can afford a car under 10k in value. Whether they can afford to maintain them, or know how to look after them properly, is a different matter. Classics and now bug-eyes are now being seen both badly modified and scruffy. It will spread to the 03/04 blob eyes before too long.
fallen into wrong hands?? i love this place. i think alot of the older lot on here tend to think scoobys are not for younger guys. why does anyone care about what other people do with their car an how they mod it?? its crazy! also agree ive only ever had waves off classic owners

Quick Reply: On the subject of the Impreza's "Image"