Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sat nav maps for Southern Ireland?

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2006, 10:55 AM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sat nav maps for Southern Ireland?

Am planning a trip to southern ireland and wanted to use my sat nav phone (MIO A701) it runs TOM TOM 5 but they don't have a map for Southern Ireland Can anyone recommend a cheap alternative way of finding software/maps or is it a case of relying on the fiancees map reading skills whilst I drive
Old 20 June 2006, 11:11 AM
renno rannes
Scooby Regular

Im afraid only Dublin Galway Cork etc are mapped as far as I know. Once you start heading into the country your on your own.
Old 20 June 2006, 06:00 PM
dav3ywrx
Scooby Newbie

How do you find the A701?
I was looking at getting one but they're a little out of my price range at the moment. Would you recommend it?
Old 20 June 2006, 10:19 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

copied from another forum .........

"..The only Tomtom map is the Uk plus map which has a little coverage of Ireland.
Coverage is so bad because tomtom uses teleatlas.

If you want perfect coverage of Ireland you need Route66 Navigate 7 (this has 100% coverage of Ireland) or Navigon which has good coverage of Ireland.
Both of the above use Navteq mapping data which is good, with Route 66 being the best, because it has the latest map data....."

alan
Old 21 June 2006, 11:04 AM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Yes it is a great device if you want a phone, pda, music player and satnav in one compact device.

My only criticisms are that you can't see the (touch)screen easily outside in bright light and i'm having problems getting it to connect to the internet with o2 payasyougo. Mio support isn't much good at moment and o2 don't officially support it yet! but there are unofficial forums and tom tom 5 works well on it

Originally Posted by dav3ywrx
How do you find the A701?
I was looking at getting one but they're a little out of my price range at the moment. Would you recommend it?
Old 21 June 2006, 11:30 AM
renno rannes
Scooby Regular

Default Nav units for Ireland

[quote=albob]copied from another forum .........

"..The only Tomtom map is the Uk plus map which has a little coverage of Ireland.

If you want perfect coverage of Ireland you need Route66 Navigate 7 (this has 100% coverage of Ireland) or Navigon which has good coverage of Ireland.
Both of the above use Navteq mapping data which is good, with Route 66 being the best, because it has the latest map data....."

I must check that one out. As far as I knew it wasent down to the people who make the GPS units but Ireland that was the problem.

Renno
Old 21 June 2006, 02:29 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Why whats the problem with Ireland don't they want people to find their way around?

[quote=renno rannes]
Originally Posted by albob
copied from another forum .........

I must check that one out. As far as I knew it wasent down to the people who make the GPS units but Ireland that was the problem.

Renno

Trending Topics

Old 21 June 2006, 03:38 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

No, the Irish are just a pack of bog men and you don't need a GPS on a donkey.

Seriously though, mapping in Ireland has always been a problem for some reason. The OS in Northern Ireland were the first in the world, I believe, to have all the fancy digital mapping technology but they have been the last to give the public access to this. Until recently even the Northern Ireland maps on www.multimap.com were just scans of the paper OS maps! It seemed almost as if the whole purpose of the OSNI was to keep map data a secret rather than to make it available, a bit ironic as my taxes paid for it.

In the 1850's I believe that Ireland was the first part of the UK to be surveyed by the OS, it was actually army sappers who did the job, followed by the Isle of Lewis off the north west of Scotland. I think this adds to the irony when it comes to the availability of current data.
Old 21 June 2006, 05:31 PM
biffa-bacon
Scooby Newbie

i have route 66, and live in county down, it works well when i go south.
Old 21 June 2006, 08:49 PM
deano555
Scooby Regular

I had a week in ireland a couple of weeks ago and I borrowed a Garmin street pilot, and it was a gem, saved me alot of greif and I would reccomend it. It had 1 or 2 moments but I put it down to not being updated. Even on the tiny back roads it got you out of bother even if maps were not available.
Have a good time but watch the roads, they tend to be very good or very very bad.
Old 21 June 2006, 09:14 PM
DevilHimSelf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgehog
No, the Irish are just a pack of bog men and you don't need a GPS on a donkey.

How to make friends and get flamed up da ****!

Bet my donkeys faster then ures!!
Old 21 June 2006, 09:15 PM
renno rannes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by deano555
I had a week in ireland a couple of weeks ago and I borrowed a Garmin street pilot, and it was a gem, saved me alot of greif and I would reccomend it. It had 1 or 2 moments but I put it down to not being updated. Even on the tiny back roads it got you out of bother even if maps were not available.
Have a good time but watch the roads, they tend to be very good or very very bad.
My mate has a street pilot. Did yours work outside Dublin yes ?
Old 21 June 2006, 09:36 PM
deano555
Scooby Regular

Yep, I was based in the middle of nowhere, between Waterford and Wexford.
Old 27 June 2006, 12:29 AM
thrustylusty
Scooby Regular

I am sure your fiancee has excellent navigation skills. good job she hasnt read your message or you'd be in trouble