Sponsored by:

Re-map yay or nay??

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2006, 09:51 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-map yay or nay??

General consensus, is a re-map worth doing? Some people say yes some say no. Does it transform the car as some say or is it just a precautionary measure, which yields little noticeable performance gain? Thanks.

Maz
Old 19 June 2006, 09:53 PM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

yes the best bang for buck mod after decat
Old 19 June 2006, 10:00 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Big Yay!

Had mine done a few months ago, transformed the car.

Look here post #106:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...=492944&page=4
Old 19 June 2006, 10:01 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

Definately big "YAY" from me.
Old 19 June 2006, 10:03 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by StiX
Big Yay!

Had mine done a few months ago, transformed the car.

Look here post #106:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...=492944&page=4
Thanks for the input, would the same power gain apply to an import model running 280 bhp as standard or is there less scope for gain as the engine is much closer to the limit?
Old 19 June 2006, 10:05 PM
redragon
Scooby Regular

a big yay
totally different car when you get it back
Old 19 June 2006, 10:05 PM
redragon
Scooby Regular

a big yay
totally different car when you get it back
Old 19 June 2006, 10:32 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
General consensus, is a re-map worth doing? Some people say yes some say no. Does it transform the car as some say or is it just a precautionary measure, which yields little noticeable performance gain? Thanks.

Maz
Easier said than done on most Classic cars..... What model do you have?
Old 19 June 2006, 11:51 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Thanks for the input, would the same power gain apply to an import model running 280 bhp as standard or is there less scope for gain as the engine is much closer to the limit?
Hmm - not sure. Reading about others who have remapped their STis etc., I would say there would be a gain but not as much as a UK.

Is it an STi or late WRX?

I'm guessing you wouldn't gain as much bhp, but probably better mapped for UK fuel/safer etc?
Old 20 June 2006, 12:07 AM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

Watch out for the torque! my box died shortly after remap currently saving for a recon.
Old 20 June 2006, 05:07 PM
KenS55STI
Scooby Regular

If your car is an import then you probably don't get the quoted output with UK fuel so you need to factor that in. Any increase is going to be over and above what you are getting now, not what the car is supposed to produce. If you are adding booster to increase the octane you may do, but if you are remapping for straight fuel then bear in mind the gain won't be as much as if you were going to continue to use the booster.

Also, the quoted output is a max figure, it doesn't show where in the rev range/throttle opening you get that, how long it is held for etc etc. As well as gaining a power increase, you will get a broader powerband. The car will pull stronger, earlier in the rev range and with less throttle, and hold most of it for longer. There's more to it than just the bhp.
Old 20 June 2006, 05:40 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by GC8
Easier said than done on most Classic cars..... What model do you have?

My 2000 WRX RA Limited.
Old 20 June 2006, 05:45 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

My 2000 WRX RA Limited.
Yay all the way, Maz. Apart from the expense, the increased risk of losing your licence and the decreased mpg, I see no drawbacks.

I wouldn't bother if you intend to leave the car otherwise standard, but with ported headers, up-pipe and decat you'll get some very noticeable gains.
Old 20 June 2006, 05:47 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by KenS55STI
If your car is an import then you probably don't get the quoted output with UK fuel so you need to factor that in. Any increase is going to be over and above what you are getting now, not what the car is supposed to produce. If you are adding booster to increase the octane you may do, but if you are remapping for straight fuel then bear in mind the gain won't be as much as if you were going to continue to use the booster.

Also, the quoted output is a max figure, it doesn't show where in the rev range/throttle opening you get that, how long it is held for etc etc. As well as gaining a power increase, you will get a broader powerband. The car will pull stronger, earlier in the rev range and with less throttle, and hold most of it for longer. There's more to it than just the bhp.

That is a very good point Ken , I am not necessarily after oodles of power at 6000rpm. What I would like is to alter the boost curve and have boost coming in earlier thus making the car faster without having to gain that much extra bhp. Having said that boost comes in fairly early on ra's anyway with the short gearing so to accentuate it a little further would be good. What would enable one to do this? If I recall Project WRX from Japanese Performance Car gained up to 60 bhp! at a certain point in the rev range with a Gems re-map and water injection. Now this wasn't an overall gain of 60 bhp but just at that rev point by optimising fuelling and ignition coupled with the water injection.
Old 20 June 2006, 05:52 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by JTaylor
Yay all the way, Maz. Apart from the expense, the increased risk of losing your licence and the decreased mpg, I see no drawbacks.

I wouldn't bother if you intend to leave the car otherwise standard, but with ported headers, up-pipe and decat you'll get some very noticeable gains.

Howdy James The car will be a second car so practicality not important. I have decat and up pipe and also uprated tmic intercooler and fuel pump. Therefore just ported headers needed methinks. I don't want to go down the big turbo/ FMIC route as lag is a no no and I think it would kill the instant nature of the car.
Old 20 June 2006, 05:52 PM
JGRIFF
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up Yay

Very definitely, even more so after it's been modded, had mine back about a month now, and its just got oodles of torque everywhere, making it a real doddle to drive. Hope this helps
Old 20 June 2006, 05:55 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

A remap is not all about power, but the way it's delivered.

You will find the car more of a pleasure to drive, it will be smoother have reduced fuel consumption and if the mapper is any good, a built in safety margin

You should see a good gain in torque, it's not all about bhp !!!!

Well worth it.

Rob
Old 20 June 2006, 05:55 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Id say yes then; an ECU-Tek3 after youve done everything else... A de-cat or maybe better; a sports cat and perhaps a TD05. Even if you leave the quick-spooling TD04 on youll still benefit from the peace of mind that youll get, along with a more responsive drive. A TD04 hybrid from Andy Forrest might be a good compromise too; its good for 320bhp but itll keep all of the smaller turbos early spooling properties. I might speak to Harvey Smith about some fettled OEM manifolds too.....

Simon
Old 20 June 2006, 06:10 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Howdy James The car will be a second car so practicality not important. I have decat and up pipe and also uprated tmic intercooler and fuel pump. Therefore just ported headers needed methinks. I don't want to go down the big turbo/ FMIC route as lag is a no no and I think it would kill the instant nature of the car.
It's a no-brainer then Maz. Scoob-fan and others make good points about delivery, more important then the headline grabbing figures. It's not unheard of for mappers to get the figures on the rollers so they can give the customer the flashy graph, and then map it on the road to make it driveable.

Your turbo's good for a safe 340/330. Another good point was made about the torque; it can hurt the drivetrain if you're into standing starts. You might get away with a couple (and they are a bit of giggle with our gearbox), but your clutch will be in trouble before you can say "judder" and if your unlucky it'll be more expensive then that.

In short mate, if you're willing to spend the cash and play safe then you'll be grinning from ear to ear.

ETA: You do have a VF28/29 Maz don't you?

Last edited by JTaylor; 20 June 2006 at 06:13 PM.
Old 20 June 2006, 06:18 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by GC8
Id say yes then; an ECU-Tek3 after youve done everything else... A de-cat or maybe better; a sports cat and perhaps a TD05. Even if you leave the quick-spooling TD04 on youll still benefit from the peace of mind that youll get, along with a more responsive drive. A TD04 hybrid from Andy Forrest might be a good compromise too; its good for 320bhp but itll keep all of the smaller turbos early spooling properties. I might speak to Harvey Smith about some fettled OEM manifolds too.....

Simon

Standard turbo is vf29, don't want to change for a bigger unit as I like the early spool up, from approx 2500 rpm. As you say Harvey does seem to be the man for all things manifold related.
Old 20 June 2006, 06:22 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

[QUOTE=JTaylor]It's a no-brainer then Maz. Scoob-fan and others make good points about delivery, more important then the headline grabbing figures. It's not unheard of for mappers to get the figures on the rollers so they can give the customer the flashy graph, and then map it on the road to make it driveable.

Your turbo's good for a safe 340/330. Another good point was made about the torque; it can hurt the drivetrain if you're into standing starts. You might get away with a couple (and they are a bit of giggle with our gearbox), but your clutch will be in trouble before you can say "judder" and if your unlucky it'll be more expensive then that.

In short mate, if you're willing to spend the cash and play safe then you'll be grinning from ear to ear.

Yes James vf29 currently with decat/up pipe. Larger tmic and fuel pump. Also a dreaded induction kit in the name of science! The car is very responsive and will go to 140 very quickly (on a top speed run what you brung). A friend drove it and was amazed at the low pick up as he was used to his td05/FMIC combination.
Old 20 June 2006, 07:12 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

...Standard turbo is vf29...
TD04 being Uk market cars only; sorry. What horsepower can the VF29 flow for?

Simon
Old 20 June 2006, 07:17 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by GC8

Simon
330/340 max is the consensus.
Old 20 June 2006, 07:18 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8

Simon
No, JDM wagons have them.

Rob
Old 20 June 2006, 07:24 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

We are talking about Saloons only Rob.

Simon
Old 20 June 2006, 08:09 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Smile

Had mine done today.

GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOVVVVYY!!!

Go on, you know it makes sense!!
Old 20 June 2006, 10:22 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
We are talking about Saloons only Rob.

Simon
Oh, well that's discrimination, LONG LIVE THE WAGON !!!!

Rob
Old 20 June 2006, 11:05 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I am actually a JDM 'Wagon owner myself you know?