Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2006, 12:32 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default De-Brief of Round 2 of Time Attack - The Subarus

This is going to be long!!!

What a day!!!

Unfortunately due to other commitments I didn’t actually get to bed until 3am on Saturday morning and had to be up at 6:15am that same morning to get ready for Silverstone…. I wouldn’t recommend only having 3hrs 15mins sleep before entering something like this!

For me, this was the first real time I had been on track so I had been really nervous for a number of weeks, thinking “What have I done booking this!!”. After speaking to other people about Silverstone in particular, only to find out it is one of the quickest circuits in the world. Unfortunately I don’t enjoy high speed bends and my confidence (let alone driving ability) seriously lack in this area….. so hence the nervous disposition. This was further compounded by the fact that track day “virgin’s” were not entering this event in reality because it was a competition with laps being timed and some serious cars were being entered (whether they were for the Pro or Club Challenge Class). Saying all this though….. I thought it be better to be shoved in at the deep end and give it a bash. Like they say…. There is only one way to improve your driving ability and confidence and this is by getting involved and actually doing it!

Upon arrival the normal things took place, driver sign-on, scrutineering and of course peoples final vehicle preparation. We were all given space in the garages in the Pit Area and ALL the Subaru’s (barr one) were put together. This was:

PowerStation / Litchfield Imports – Pro Class
Neil Wrenn – Club Challenge
Terry Buckle – Club Challenge
Shaun Harvey – Club Challenge
Myself – Club Challenge

The first thing us Club Challenge boys did was change our normal road tyres to what ever road legal semi-slicks we were using. I had never driven my car with these type of tyres on before…. So this was something else I had no experience of! Lol

Even though I arrived at Silverstone at about 7am and the first warm-up session did not start until 9:35am, time went quickly up to that point. What with completing the above mentioned things, along with sorting out the fitment of the transponder (for vehicle timing) and also the drivers brief, it didn’t leave much time left other than for a bacon sandwich for breakfast and in my case several nervous visits to the loo!

9:35 came and we all (both the Pro and Club Challenge Class were on track at the same time – up to 32 cars) lined up for the warm-up session….. I then found out what people meant when they said this track was W I D E!!! You feel like a matchbox car on it in places! For me, this first session was probably the most scariest and knowing you are the one with the least (sorry – ZERO) experience didn’t help.

After the warm-up I went up to Race Control to get the time sheet, which in fact was for all cars, so at least you could see what you were up against and in my case how slow I was! My best time for the warm-up was 1:19’s…. but at least I wasn’t the slowest.

We then had to wait about 2hrs until the next session which was the first practice session, since the Drift cars were running sequentially after the Time Attackers.

Curtis from Powerstation made some tweeks to my suspension during this break and said “Right Shaun, I expect to see at least 10secs off your time now” …. We both laughed at that point and I suddenly got nervous again!

So the second session started and we all went out again.

I felt a bit better this time and started to build (ever so slightly) the confidence levels and overall I knew I had done better this time. The biggest issue for me was (as expected) the high speed bends and the confidence in the tyres, chassis and brakes. Upon the end of the session I received the times through again and was very pleased that I had bought my lap times down to 1:14’s. It made me feel somewhat better to also know that out of us in the Club Challenge Subaru’s (Neil, Terry and Shaun Harvey) the times ranged from Neil and Shaun Harvey getting 1:12’s and myself and Terry getting 1:14’s.

Upon speaking to Iain Litchfield and Rich from PowerStation, they said that I needed to do something about my entry in to the big sweeping right hander at the end of the pit straight. I was braking way too early and was all over the place regarding my line (let’s be honest…. I was doing this on all the bends!!). I was then told I should be going flat out up to the bend marker down the pit straight, dabbing the brakes and then going flat in 4th crossing in to the bend….. I just laughed and said “No chance!!”.

One thing that did amaze me, was the amount of grip I had through the slower bends (which I REALLY liked going through, even if my line was all over the place). The Toyo 888’s I had on mixed with the PowerStation competition suspension setup was unreal. I have bucket seats and harnesses in my car and I still felt like I was coming out of the seat sideways….. it was unreal.

After a lunch break and a few more hours it was time for the last practice session.

Confidence was starting to build in what I could do….. but make no mistakes I was still very nervous and several places on the track I was driving like a granny, but with the improvements I had made from the 1st to 2nd session, I was hoping I could further improve in the last practice session in readiness for the final.

Again, as with the previous session I felt it went slightly better, but I was still unable to hold it flat through the right hander on to the pit straight and was also braking way to early in to the bend at the end of the pit straight and taking that sharp bend way too slowly… but I was getting up to 120mph down the pit straight (I have no idea what Neil, Terry or Shaun H was getting down the straight). At one point the 900+bhp Norris Evo was behind me coming through the first S bend, so I thought “lets see how much quicker 900bhp is” down the straight after this first S bend. I came through the final apex of the S bend, flat in 3rd and accelerated through the gears to the next S bend as quick as I could and the Norris Evo came FLYING past me down that specific straight like I was standing still….. it was unbelievable, what a car he has built!!!

After receiving the times I found that I had improved again and was now lapping at 1:13’s. Neil had also improved lapping in the 1:10’s and also Shaun H and Terry had improved lapping in the 1:11’s!

At this point I felt that there was so much left in my car and because I was driving really cautiously through the fastest parts of the circuit, I knew I just needed to be more committed and if I was I could catch up with my fellow drivers……. Unfortunately my confidence was the single most biggest issue!

After quite a long break, due to issues with some of the drifters going off we didn’t have the final until about 5:15pm. Thinking that my confidence levels wouldn’t allow me to drive anywhere near as fast as what the car was capable of and also the fact (and I am being totally honest here) had NO IDEA of what lines to take around the S bends and fast entry and exit bends on the 2 straights, I was under no illusions what would happen in the final…. But I was hoping to reduce my lap times to the 1:12’s even with all these short comings.

Even though we had been running in the practice sessions together (both Pro and Club Challenge Classes), the final was split in to two sessions. Club Challenge first, followed by the Pro Class last. The final was very different to the practice sessions, as there was only ever two cars (staggered) on track at once….. this meant that each driver should have a free circuit to race on to get the final time. This meant each car had a warm-up lap, one hot lap (timed) and a cool down lap.

When we all lined up, I had to admit my backside was going 10 to the dozen… perhaps more so than it did on my first session! So one by one off the cars went.

Because (again) of my lack of experience I obviously did not warm my tyres up properly in the warm-up lap as when I did my hot lap the car was all over the place. I knew I had done bad and was very disappointed, but then I still didn’t attack the fast sections as I wanted too so that didn’t help either. When I came back in the pits, the guys from Litchfield and PowerStation asked how I thought I got on….. the word started with “S” and ended with “T”. I spoke to Neil when I got back in the pits (Terry and himself had gone out before me) and I was told the following:

Neil : 1:10.4
Terry: 1:10.8
Me: 1:14.1
Shaun Harvey had spun out (but no damage to him or his car) and got a 1:25

Obviously I was disappointed that I had really fluffed up “when it counted”, but overall I was over the moon with the times I got. Taking in to account that Neil, Terry and Shaun H can certainly drive, together with my lack of confidence and experience (this guys are veterans compared to me lol) I think I did really well taking in to account my fastest lap of the day was only 3secs behind the fastest lapper out of us lot which was Neil. Couple that with the fact that Neil can undoubtedly drive having had the fastest lap at this years ScoobyNetLive / ScoobyShootOut Handling Circuit and coming 2nd in the final at the same event, I was chuffed to bits with my results…. And if anything this has given me more confidence in carrying on with this type of event. Well done to all you guys! Neil.... imagine what time you could of got if you had drove my car!!! Credit where credit is due though you all did well!

Having my own stress levels, I wasn’t really taking notice of the Pro class, but knew that the Powerstation/Litchfield car was doing really well.

When the final was ran in the Pro Class, the PowerStation/Litchfield car came fourth which was fantastic, especially considering they were well down on power to the others (and Silverstone is bias to high powered cars on the straights), but even more so considering there was ONLY 0.8 of a second between the top 4 in the Pro Class….. Well done boys!!!!

To end…..

This was a brilliant experience and ANYONE that wishes to give this kind of event a bash… DON’T BE SCARED NOT TO DO IT! Ok… you may be nervous, you may not know what a racing line is, you may not have the confidence to go as fast as your car can, this was all me but a)I did well and b)I really enjoyed it!!! Get on to www.timeattack.co.uk and book yourself in for future rounds!

Round 3 – July 1st Knockhill
Round 4 – August 20th Silverstone
Round 5 – September 5th Rockingham

It’s a pity there were not more spectators and really hope we see more people supporting us next time!!! There was plenty to see through the day, what with the Time Attackers, D1 Drifters throughout the day and demo cars/drivers through the lunch break.

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 19 June 2006, 01:08 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

quality write up, and congrats again Shaun as i know you were bricking it!

Feels so much better when you have a go yourself though doesnt it

I would still like to point out that it was only my 5th time on a track ever in my car though, so im hardly "experienced" in the same way terry and the other shaun are.

Id love to have a crack in your car shaun if youd let me .......
Old 19 June 2006, 01:19 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Neil,
It feels "a bit" better after having a go! All in all though, it was an experience you would never gain on the queen's highway, and at the end of the day it's what these cars were built for.

Hats off to your driving ability mate! Please don't get some proper suspension! ...... well at least until I improve anyway.

Regarding my car...... put it this way, you would have more of a chance of being thrown the keys than Shaun "Mr Kitty Litter" Harvey would! (joking Shaun ).

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 19 June 2006, 01:31 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by webmaster
This was a brilliant experience and ANYONE that wishes to give this kind of event a bash… DON’T BE SCARED NOT TO DO IT! Ok… you may be nervous, you may not know what a racing line is, you may not have the confidence to go as fast as your car can, this was all me but a)I did well and b)I really enjoyed it!!!

Well done everyone

Shaun,

I want to do it, but due to work and holidays I can't till next year I can only make the final @ Rockingham (invitation only so can't drive but will come and watch though

Tony
Old 19 June 2006, 02:14 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 19 June 2006, 02:16 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

Oh and to answer one of your questions about what speed we were doing down the pit straight i think i held on for 135mph on the hot lap.....(indicated)

bloody good fun!
Old 19 June 2006, 02:17 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

135mph!! God i'm a whimp!
Old 19 June 2006, 02:19 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

quality pics but none of me!
Old 19 June 2006, 02:22 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

lol I have just been trawling through the net and this was the only library I found..... sorry as there were none of you on that library, but loads of mine. The photographer must of thought I looked fast!

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 19 June 2006, 02:33 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

was it one of the track photographers sites? ill have to have a looksee
Old 19 June 2006, 02:37 PM
terryb
Scooby Regular

Great write-up Shaun and glad you enjoyed it. A great day was had by all.

135mph on the pit straight eh Neilo??? You must have more power than you are letting on then boy - I reckon I was at 125mph max....

Can't wait for the next one - Knockhill anyone
Old 19 June 2006, 02:46 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

i think the speedo may have been thrown by the lower profile tyres perhaps....the only thing i may have over you guys is torque, not power though, but torque would allow that a bit of extra poke.
Old 19 June 2006, 03:00 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Neil,
Nope it was just a spectator I think. I did notice a shedload of photographers on the first corner on the 2nd S bend (just after the bridge) so expect some pics to materialise soon. Perhaps send an email to Rob Barnes and find out if we can get access to them?

Terry,
Absolutely Terry.... I thought all in all (apart from the time between sessions) it was a brilliant day.

Not doing Knockhill as I have to be at Elvington the day after to help with the presentations and 1/4 shootouts from ScoobyNetLive - ScoobyShootOut. Will definately be at Round 4 back at Silverstone though.

As regards to the speed down the pit straight.... I could see 135 being possible with our cars as I didnt have the ***** to hold it flat out of the sweeping bend on to the pit straight and backed off quite early for entry in to the right hander at the end of the straight and still managed to hit 120mph.

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 19 June 2006, 03:04 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

As regards to the speed down the pit straight.... I could see 135 being possible with our cars as I didnt have the ***** to hold it flat out of the sweeping bend on to the pit straight and backed off quite early for entry in to the right hander at the end of the straight and still managed to hit 120mph.
Your right, i made certain that i came out of the bend before as fast as possible....was probably doing 80 odd by the time i left it and the sweeping bend does require a certain level of "commitment" i did put 2 wheels on the grass at one point going past an S14.

the next round will be faster.....
Old 19 June 2006, 03:25 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Intend having a birthday treat when its at Silverstone next.
Old 19 June 2006, 03:35 PM
terryb
Scooby Regular

One moment I'll never forget from Saturday.......

On my 1st session, I entered the pit straight after powering out of Woodcote only to see Simon Norris' green monster getting very sideways and onto the grass in my rear view mirror and indeed closing fast on me - so I moved over pretty sharpish to the right, next to the pit wall as I didn't want him careering into me
Old 19 June 2006, 04:07 PM
LitchfieldImports
Former Sponsor

Well done everyone, a great day Shaun Considering it was your first go I thought you did really well mate. Should hopefully have a go at the next round in my new road car as well

Iain
Old 19 June 2006, 04:16 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Class write up Shaun

Considering it was your first time on track respect for doing it there [I thought your were a track day master !!]

Silverstone is indeed a fast circuit and a daunting one for a first timer

I can only see this series grow and grow

Phil
Old 19 June 2006, 04:38 PM
terryb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neilo
i did put 2 wheels on the grass at one point going past an S14.

Only 2 wheels and you call that commitment???.. I had all 4 on the tarmac the other side of the grass at the exit to Copse - that was fun - just kept my foot down and returned to the circuit
Old 19 June 2006, 04:56 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

i was doing 120 at the time......thankyou

incidentally the full results and times can be viewed at msttiming.com
Old 19 June 2006, 05:45 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Iain,
Cheers mate. Look forward to your road car!

Phil,
Track Day Master..... what drugs you on!

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 19 June 2006, 05:53 PM
Scooby Regular

Sounds a bit different to the gentle sport of Hill climbing.
Great account and most entertaining!

Graham
Old 19 June 2006, 06:30 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?

Good write up shaun,

Have you got datalogging? might be worth if you have getting one of the PS guys or Litchfield guys to do a lap, then you do a lap and see if there are any noticeable differences Obviously it doesnt show lines.

Well done for having the *****, its something Id like to do with the new car

David
Old 19 June 2006, 06:50 PM
TimeAttackRob
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up Well done to all and a big thanks!

My first post on your forum guys but I would just like to say that Shaun, Neil, Terry & Shaun not forgetting Phil Keen all done you proud.

After seeing Litchos car at Rockingham I was sure that the Subaru would be on for another win over the the rest of the pack, Silverstone certainly stood everything on its head thats for sure, deinfately a big power circuit and one which I think you all done very well on regardless of Club or Tuner classes.

Knockhill I think will see everyone upside down again when the handling set up comes into play rather than out and out power! (im hoping so as my Evo 8 is seriously lacking over the rest of the Tuner field in the horsepower rankings)

The club members who want to come along to any of the rounds are eligable for a free Scoobynet stand and that comes with reduced ticket entry prices so get your asses along to cheer them on.

Just had confirmation from Litchfield that they want to get back to the top of the tree and have entered for Knockhill on the 1st of July so the least your Scottish members can do is cheer the fella on!

Shaun, fantastic write up, I can remember the first time I drove Silverstone in a JZA80 TT Supra, I certainly had a few 5p 50p moments so hats off to you for getting involved.

For those who are interested here are the results:-

Time Attack - Tuner Class

Clive Seddon - 1:02.815
Ugly Norris - 1:02.864 (drives like a girl)
Steve Scott - Escort Cosworth - 1:03.481
Phil Keen - Litchfield Impreza - 1:03.655
Adrian Smith - Fensport Celica - 1:04.107
John Curistan - East Coast Customs Impreza - 1:04.463
David Harrison - Abbey Motorsport R32 Skyline - 1:04.820
Robbie Thornton - Trackday Plus - R32 Skyline - 1:06.563
ME - 1:08.581

Club Challenge

Darren Bly - R32GTR 1:04.750
Peter Everett - R33GTR - 1:05.443
Big Nigel MLR SUPERHERO - 1:06.786
Steve Fitpatrick - Escort Cosworth - 1:08.721
Maxim Taylor - RX7 - 1:09.620
Nadine Geary - Dodge Vipe - 1:09.776
Jez Horsham - S13 200sx - 1:10.163
Neil Wrenn - Scooby WRX - 1:10.461
Tony Pearman - Lotus Elise - 1:10.777
Terry Buckel - Scooby STi RA5 - 1:10.824
Thomas Farnham - 200SX S14 - 1:10975
Dixon Cheng - DC2 Integra - 1:12.612
Simon Miskelly - DC5 Integra - 1:13.273
Shaun Fennings - Imprezza Type25C - 1:14.561
Paul West - EP3 Civic Type R- 1:16.313
Shaun Harvey - P1 Scooby - 1:25.055

Ill get a few CDs of the weekends pictures sent to me later this week and will let you all know when the Time Attack website is updated,

Thanks again!

Rob
Old 19 June 2006, 06:54 PM
harvey one
Scooby Regular

Great write up Shaun, split times make interesting reading and am gutted the second sector was so poor having spun off. I was doing 115 mph through Cops! which transpired to be 15 mph too fast; in the practise sessions I was taking Cops at 95-100, but thought in the timed session I'd push a little harder . But you live and learn and next time I'll get it right. Overall, not a bad day considering I only got the car on Wednesday and was down on power compared to the rest of you, at 330 bhp and on road springs. Fantastic day for £150. Can't wait for 20 August, plenty of time to do some tweaking and get my springs changed. See you all then.
Old 19 June 2006, 07:26 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

David,
Not at this stage, as I am still running on the standard ECU. With a different engine in the near future and MOTEC I hope to have full data logging facilities with circuit mapping etc.... so that would be certainly cool to compare. But feeling that I wasnt really pushing the car, I certainly think a better driver would show me my errors in the car!

Rob,
Thanks goes to you and your team for organising this event.

It was a great day and will surely gain much interest throughout this season and in to the next. Well done!

As you say.... lets make sure Knockhill is a good Subaru turn out!! Come on guys get signed up for competing or get a long to spectate!!!!

Shaun,
Don't rub it in over the split times..... it's really got me going now!!! Glad you enjoyed it mate and see you at Round 4!

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 21 June 2006, 11:06 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up

As you say.... lets make sure Knockhill is a good Subaru turn out!! Come on guys get signed up for competing or get a long to spectate!!!!
Shaun,
As you know I can only make September 17th @ Rockingham-GT Battle Circuit I know its the Final, but I have asked if I can take part in the Club Challenge as a non scoring entrant or space filler so fingers crossed

Tony
Old 21 June 2006, 11:22 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Tony,

Don't worry I was on about everyone else who thinks their Scooby is the quickest thing on the road and they have the driving skill to match!
Old 22 June 2006, 10:05 PM
terryb
Scooby Regular

Cool Cool pics

Old 23 June 2006, 10:23 AM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

i think these pics are solid proof of my need of proper suspension no?? look at the roll!! im almost on 3 wheels

the commitments there throught the corners tho

Quick Reply: De-Brief of Round 2 of Time Attack - The Subarus