Sponsored by:

Getting sick of the Scoob image

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2006, 11:32 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting sick of the Scoob image

Since buying my STi last May, I've noticed that everywhere I go no one likes my car. When I had my Focus RS, whenever I overtook another car doing say 45mph in a 60mph zone nothing happened, I just overtook and went on my way. Now, with the Scoob all I get is flashing & W@nker signs. Even though I'm not on their bumper, and overtake quickly & safely. Then this morning, driving out of a village on a perfectly straight road I accelerate from a junction up to 45-50mph in a 60mph zone. Nothing wrong with that you say ??? that's what I thought. I then start getting a bunch of angry women screaming at me and waving their arms in the air telling me to slow down ???? They were walking their kids to school on the footpath which runs along side the road.
Why is it that if people see the type of car we drive, or hear the fruity exhausts that they immediately assume that we are speeding and are going to kill someone.

Before everyone starts saying I was obviously going too fast for the road, I wasn't. Believe me, it's a straight road that has a junction at the end of it, so speeding is pointless along there, and I wasn't accelerating hard either. What they must have thought I was going to do?? Lose control on a straight road at 45mph, mount the kerb and kill their children??? I nearly slammed on the brakes to get out and have a word, but what would be the point??
I know for a fact, if I'd been in a normal car, say a Mondeo or similar, they would have done nothing.
The image of the car is really starting to annoy me. I've already had the Police out to see me last year when I got accused by someone of me speeding in a 40mph zone, which I wasn't, but the exhaust and the look of the car told the simple tw@t that I was.
Old 19 June 2006, 11:37 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by stilover
Since buying my STi last May, I've noticed that everywhere I go no one likes my car. When I had my Focus RS, whenever I overtook another car doing say 45mph in a 60mph zone nothing happened, I just overtook and went on my way. Now, with the Scoob all I get is flashing & W@nker signs. Even though I'm not on their bumper, and overtake quickly & safely. Then this morning, driving out of a village on a perfectly straight road I accelerate from a junction up to 45-50mph in a 60mph zone. Nothing wrong with that you say ??? that's what I thought. I then start getting a bunch of angry women screaming at me and waving their arms in the air telling me to slow down ???? They were walking their kids to school on the footpath which runs along side the road.
Why is it that if people see the type of car we drive, or hear the fruity exhausts that they immediately assume that we are speeding and are going to kill someone.

Before everyone starts saying I was obviously going too fast for the road, I wasn't. Believe me, it's a straight road that has a junction at the end of it, so speeding is pointless along there, and I wasn't accelerating hard either. What they must have thought I was going to do?? Lose control on a straight road at 45mph, mount the kerb and kill their children??? I nearly slammed on the brakes to get out and have a word, but what would be the point??
I know for a fact, if I'd been in a normal car, say a Mondeo or similar, they would have done nothing.
The image of the car is really starting to annoy me. I've already had the Police out to see me last year when I got accused by someone of me speeding in a 40mph zone, which I wasn't, but the exhaust and the look of the car told the simple tw@t that I was.
People often don't like being overtaken full stop these days mate- it doesn't really matter what you drive!! Maybe you're just more predisposed to look for negative reactions because you know the car looks a bit flash? A Focus RS is quite inoffensive by comparison.

My advice: ignore the t**ts and get on with enjoying the car.

Ns04
Old 19 June 2006, 11:41 AM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

I agree. Great point, enjoy your Scoob!

Alan Mac
Old 19 June 2006, 11:55 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
People often don't like being overtaken full stop these days mate- it doesn't really matter what you drive!! Maybe you're just more predisposed to look for negative reactions because you know the car looks a bit flash? A Focus RS is quite inoffensive by comparison.

My advice: ignore the t**ts and get on with enjoying the car.

Ns04
It's more those women this morning that's got my back up. I'm really fumming over it. How dare they scream at me, just cos of the exhaust noise and the look of the car.
Not that I would, but I really feel like screaming it past them tomorrow morning. They want to know what speeding is ?? I really feel like showing them Obviously I won't but, god, so annoyed.
Old 19 June 2006, 12:02 PM
New_scooby_04

It's more those women this morning that's got my back up. I'm really fumming over it. How dare they scream at me, just cos of the exhaust noise and the look of the car.
Not that I would, but I really feel like screaming it past them tomorrow morning. They want to know what speeding is ?? I really feel like showing them Obviously I won't but, god, so annoyed.
Regrettably, this is because the "speed kills" message is getting across and to their way of thinking if you own a car that shouts about its performance potential, you must be the kind of person who speeds everywhere.

Daft, but there you go!!

The sad thing is, whenever I hear about someone ploughing into kids and parents outside/nr a school, it's not a performance car driver, it's someone who's nicked a car/driving it without tax/insurance, drnk or drugged up etc....

Maybe if they wanted to demonise the right group of people they should change the slogan to "Scum kills" This would make it harded to justify the use of speed cameras though, eh?
Just a thought!

Ns04
Old 19 June 2006, 12:12 PM
BlueSimon
Scooby Regular

Ive got a similar one, but i got my own back

A vilage near me reduced its speed limit from 40 to 20mph and put speed mountains every 50 yrs or so, i had no problem with this as the reason they said in the paper was traffic noise as most of the houses have no front gardens and are almost straight onto the road, anyway i go through the village maybe 3 times a month, one sunny day a guy (who had a front garden) jumped out of his sun lounger and shounted 'slow down winker' i was in 3rd gear at virtual tickover doing about 18mph , thought nothing more of it till about 3 weeks later (another sunny day) when same said guy jumps up and points at me (ignores him again). anyway i was in a perticually bad mood the next time i saw him in his sun lounger so i did 20mph in 1st gear passed his house (couldnt hear what his comments were) and every time i pass (even if hes not out) i do it, childish i know but very satisfying

Simon
Old 19 June 2006, 12:14 PM
COLZO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think we`ve all had this happen in some shape or form. It`s just over reactions or jealousy alot of the time. As long as you drive sensibly then you`ve nothing to worry about. Most of the nutters about don`t even drive performance cars, yet we get tarred with the same brush! Enjoy owning and driving your car.

Trending Topics

Old 19 June 2006, 12:14 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

"Scum kills" i am with you on that, and secondly you are never going to please everyone and therefore just because you **** off a few people on the road then I don’t see the big issue, don’t those people that are such poor drivers that have to go so slow on the road a source of frustration for other drivers in the same way you are to them.

blue Simon I think there’s a need for a mass Scooby drive by,

Last edited by F1 CJE UK; 19 June 2006 at 12:19 PM.
Old 19 June 2006, 12:17 PM
Kuro
Scooby Regular

You've hit the nail on the head there matey

From their perspective all they see is a chavved up Scooby with lots of pink bits, flying past them - loudly

I'm not having a pop at all, just look at it from their perspective - yes they are wrong, but that's life. Worst of all, it's not your fault, it's the chav-chariot brigade who give most decent Scooby owners a bad name.

It used to happen to me all of the time. Since buying a NIssan 350 I drive exactly the same, but get a totally different response from people.
Old 19 June 2006, 12:17 PM
Jap Import
Scooby Regular

I hear you Stilover.

I get that feeling when this sort of thing happens.
Getting out the car to have "a quick word" gives them the impression you are that crazy nutter behind the wheel of "to fast for the road" car.
Good man for just driving by.

I think your right though, we do get a bad rep, though I think it may be more the case that more and more youngsters are now able to get cheaper classics and drive them like idiots (not all youngsters).

As said before, Just get on with enjoying it m8.

The local cruises I go to love my car m8 and that makes up for the bad vibes I get from time to time.
Old 19 June 2006, 12:28 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Best sell up now then.......
Old 19 June 2006, 12:33 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mount the kerb and mow the moaning hags over, really give them something to moan about
Old 19 June 2006, 12:41 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by BlueSimon

A vilage near me reduced its speed limit from 40 to 20mph and put speed mountains every 50 yrs or so, i had no problem with this as the reason they said in the paper was traffic noise as most of the houses have no front gardens and are almost straight onto the road, anyway i go through the village maybe 3 times a month, one sunny day a guy (who had a front garden) jumped out of his sun lounger and shounted 'slow down winker' i was in 3rd gear at virtual tickover doing about 18mph , thought nothing more of it till about 3 weeks later (another sunny day) when same said guy jumps up and points at me (ignores him again). anyway i was in a perticually bad mood the next time i saw him in his sun lounger so i did 20mph in 1st gear passed his house (couldnt hear what his comments were) and every time i pass (even if hes not out) i do it, childish i know but very satisfying

Simon
Wouldn't happen to be Saltash in Cornwall by any chance would it

I have never seen so many speed bumps in one place.
Old 19 June 2006, 12:44 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Get a quieter exhaust? I'm trying to do this as loud exhausts are rather chav and irritating to others.

Maybe the speed limit of 60mph is a bit high if there are children walking by the road, although of course I don't know the situation and you weren't doing the speed limit either.
Old 19 June 2006, 12:58 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I 'Filtered in' in front of a car yesterday ... no noise, no speed, he got REALLY upset!! Was climbing all over my rear end ....... the next set of lights saw him pull alongside and about to do something ............... he took a look at me and thought better of it.

In my MX5 he would have let me in without issue.

I haven't got an in-yer-face saloon with a 'I've a tiny *****' Spoiler and an 'I am selfish' Exhaust either!!!!

It's getting worse ..... loud music, loud exhausts, big spoilers, roybacers and chavs are about to be shat upon by the public who have just had enough!!

Watch out!!

Pete
Old 19 June 2006, 12:58 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

I had a situation yesterday when some old git who was doing less than 40mph (in a 60 limit) got all irate when i overtook him - i swear when i overtook he floorred it and tried keeping me on the outside - the feckin' **** - luckily for me the road was fairly long and straight and he was in a Zafira 1.6 otherwise i could have been in bother

when i passed him he was flashing his lights at me - he looked as if he was gonna burst.

If he had have caught me on a bad day i had have dragged him out for pulling such a manoeurvre and beaten him half to death.

The weather was nice and i was in a good mood - so i stuck two fingers up instead.

I dont think anyone likes being overtaken nowadays
Old 19 June 2006, 01:14 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
Get a quieter exhaust? I'm trying to do this as loud exhausts are rather chav and irritating to others.

Maybe the speed limit of 60mph is a bit high if there are children walking by the road, although of course I don't know the situation and you weren't doing the speed limit either.
It's a PPP exhaust, so more Fruity than loud.
Old 19 June 2006, 01:16 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlueSimon

i was in a perticually bad mood the next time i saw him in his sun lounger so i did 20mph in 1st gear passed his house (couldnt hear what his comments were) and every time i pass (even if hes not out) i do it, childish i know but very satisfying

Simon
I like that Idea. Might try that tomorrow
Old 19 June 2006, 01:23 PM
wolfie28
Scooby Regular

I agree with alot of the comments on here. People just don't like being over-taken these days. I had exactly the same thing happen to me as The Chief, 40mph on a safe 60mph road, I over take, they speed up, I get passed then flashed .

The price of Scoobies now are also attracting shall we say, less educated drivers.

I live in a village with a speed limit of 30mph and virtually all the cars I see speeding through the village are women drivers . The village also has a Primary school and DON'T get me started on the parking/driving around the school at drop off and pick up time!!!!!!!!!! Before anyone says I'm not a sexist these are just personal observations.

Enjoy the car. Two finger salute to the haters.

Wolfie
Old 19 June 2006, 01:28 PM
WR1 Bro
Scooby Regular

P1 owners give us all a bad name. They seem to be the ones with something to prove.
Old 19 June 2006, 01:30 PM
ramsden1
Scooby Regular

you are a KIN turd with talk like that king turdy
Old 19 June 2006, 01:31 PM
watto52
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ramsden1

he was joking mate. Calm down.

Anyway, he wouldnt want the blood on his scoob.
Old 19 June 2006, 01:34 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Must agree bad comment by k.o.t even if it was a joke M8
Old 19 June 2006, 01:37 PM
alext32
Scooby Newbie

Surprised at the feeling toward exhausts and spoilers etc. Thought SN had a more live-and-let-live policy ? (faceitious smiley inserted). I enjoy the whole driving experience with my Scoob - when I swapped my battery over recently I went a whole week before I entered the radio code again - just cause I love the flat 4 burble sooo much ! If you don't want to get noticed then suggest you don't drive a Scooby to be honest.

As has already been said - when it comes to school runs and kids - I'm afraid you have to be whiter than white.

I get a very good reception from the school kids at the four different schools I pass on the way to work. Of course, with my 'chav' exhaust I don't need to be doing more than 5mph before the car turns heads.

Relax and enjoy driving it. Safely and responsibly of course
Old 19 June 2006, 01:39 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

stilover .......... I think you need to change your profile name
Old 19 June 2006, 01:52 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Its was a joke as watto said it gets awfully dirty after a while

I would not suggest you watch this film you will have kittens.
Old 19 June 2006, 01:58 PM
watto52
Scooby Regular

fuel into the fire KOT
Old 19 June 2006, 02:00 PM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

Wasn't a Micra was it Carl?

Had two incidents yesterday.

1. Narrow lane with no pavements either side but walls, I was accelerting upto national speed limit. Good straight line visibility by positioning the car correctly, staying away from walker comming towards me. He stops and waves arm in a "slow down" motion. I wave back, smilling. He was not happy, but what he did miss was 2 mins earlier I stopped completely due to walkers where I knew i would not pass them safely due to on-comming cars. I could see it was safe to pass, so other than him jumping onto my bonnet, there was little to get in a flap about.

2. Dual lane split carriageway (70 limit) happily crusing along (making progress) and some idiot in a Micra pulls out on me doing 50mph. He then waves me to slow down and shows me 5 fingers. Either he has lost the other 2 or does not know the UK speed limits? As you can imagine he received every sign under the sun from me. Just cause he was not happy with my speed he decides to perform a dangerous manouver that could have resulted in an accident. A very safe driver.

Rant over.

Last edited by supertouring; 19 June 2006 at 02:03 PM.
Old 19 June 2006, 02:33 PM
ramsden1
Scooby Regular

seen film im old enough to remember it
If it was in jest thats ok mate dont want to enrage you
Old 19 June 2006, 02:45 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by supertouring
Wasn't a Micra was it Carl?

2. Dual lane split carriageway (70 limit) happily crusing along (making progress) and some idiot in a Micra pulls out on me doing 50mph. He then waves me to slow down and shows me 5 fingers. Either he has lost the other 2 or does not know the UK speed limits?

Rant over.
Actually, he was quite correct: 50mph is the absolute limit if you're driving a Micra!!!!

Ns04

Quick Reply: Getting sick of the Scoob image