Sponsored by:

Bike Roof rack for newage WRX ?

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2006, 07:18 PM
Monkeh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike Roof rack for newage WRX ?

Does anyone know if there is a roof rack that fits onto a WRX ?

I have the cheapie bike rack from halfords that fixes onto the boot but it has several problems, it scratches the paint on the bumper and you can't open the boot once it is on

I would love a roof rack that you can take off easily when you dont need it
Old 13 June 2006, 09:07 PM
mike2.5subaru
Scooby Regular

Hi, bad news i'm afraid. I've got a Thule, but I returned the fixing kit because 1. The rubber feet will mark the paintwork. 2. It clamps onto the Black ally visors above the glass that are not that strong or secure. I've seen the Subaru roofrack and it looked a bit fiddely to fit (ie, risk of scratching the paintwork) but fine once fitted. I decided to buy a boot liner and strip the bike to fit in the boot I know. but probabley quicker. These are only my opinions I know a lot like the Subaru one. PS someone told me it was ILLEGAL to fit one to an Impeza when I asked.
Old 14 June 2006, 09:05 AM
Sport160
Scooby Regular

I've got a thule roof bars kit for a new age which I use for a roof box, and whilst it fits securely I agree with what Mike says above, it is likely to mark the paintwork (a good polish and make sure the rubber pads are clean helps) plus it does leave dents/marks on the black window edges.

I also have a tow bar mounted bike carrier which enables me to hang upto 4 bikes off the back, and still let you to open the boot, that might be a better option

The subaru roof bars do seem to be recommended on here, if I'd done my research beforehand I might have gone with this instead of the thule kit which I don't think is that good.

Cheers
Old 14 June 2006, 10:28 AM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

[ I decided to buy a boot liner and strip the bike to fit in the boot I know. but probabley quicker. These are only my opinions I know a lot like the Subaru one. PS someone told me it was ILLEGAL to fit one to an Impeza when I asked.[/quote]

Can you fit a bike in teh boot of a WRX without the wheels or do you have to put the frame on the back seat?
Old 14 June 2006, 01:10 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

IMHO if you are going to put muddy mountain bikes on the roof then the mud and stones that drop off are going to damage the paintwork more than the fitting kit. There is also the danger of the bike slipping as it is lifted and fixed to the rack. I have a towbar mounted rack, but it has a stabilising strap so I still can't get in the boot (except through the ski hatch)

I also use roof bars for carrying other things, and the dents in the plastic window surrounds disappear in a short length of time, and the rack is very secure.

HTH
Old 14 June 2006, 05:39 PM
Sport160
Scooby Regular

Speedking

Is your a maxxrac ?? Just wondered as I have problems of where to fit my stabilising strap.

Cheers
Old 14 June 2006, 09:01 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Originally Posted by Sport160
Is your a maxxrac ??
No its a Witter. The strap attaches to a buckle at the top of the pole and then has a dumbbell on the other end that you trap in the boot with the strap passing between the front of the bootlid and rear screen. Some duct tape prevents damage to the paintwork on the front edge of the bootlid (until you remove the tape)
Old 16 June 2006, 04:17 PM
Sport160
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate, it was the duck tape issue I was trying to sort out, wondered if you had a different strap solution, but sounds like its the same.
Old 17 June 2006, 12:06 AM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Boot rack definitely the way to go.

Get one grom a good bike shop for £40 upwards. Should only take 5 mins to take off when you need in the back.