Sponsored by:

Car Wouldn`t Start Today!

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2006, 11:51 PM
COLZO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car Wouldn`t Start Today!

My 05 STI had been unused for a week and when I tried to start it this morning, nothing but the alarm going off! Phoned Subaru Assistance and they came out straight away. I had this happen to my old 53 STI and at the time was told it was down to the Tracker draining the battery and the immobiliser kicking in. Now I have been told that because it is a low mileage car (6k a year) that the charging system in the newer models is different and the short journeys wasn`t helping to charge the battery and not the Tracker as they had thought before. I was then told to let the car run for 1-1 1/2 hours with the lights ON as the more strain on the battery the better the charge.Has anyone else had this happen and what were you told the reason?
Old 13 June 2006, 06:59 AM
scooby,dlm.
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same prob with my 03 STi,always have the fan on or drive with the side lights on.also got an optimate trickle charger for when the cars not being used,ie holidays,
Hope this helps
dave.
Old 13 June 2006, 08:23 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a good GENTLE drive out will do the job.
The alternators on the new age cars are computer controlled, ie they have a computer chip inside them, if you floor it everywhere it cuts out so you get more power, so doing a nice gentle drive will charge your car up, but its also true about the lights, though its very annoying seeing a car drive around in bright sunshine with its lights on.

Tony
Old 14 June 2006, 12:27 AM
COLZO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info lads.

Colin
Old 14 June 2006, 05:45 PM
superstar1
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by COLZO
My 05 STI had been unused for a week and when I tried to start it this morning, nothing but the alarm going off! Phoned Subaru Assistance and they came out straight away. I had this happen to my old 53 STI and at the time was told it was down to the Tracker draining the battery and the immobiliser kicking in. Now I have been told that because it is a low mileage car (6k a year) that the charging system in the newer models is different and the short journeys wasn`t helping to charge the battery and not the Tracker as they had thought before. I was then told to let the car run for 1-1 1/2 hours with the lights ON as the more strain on the battery the better the charge.Has anyone else had this happen and what were you told the reason?
I had this problem with my 55 plate and was told the same thing, i think this was caused by the alarm going off all the time while parked in the garage when i was at work.
Old 14 June 2006, 07:09 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought that the tracker should go into hibernate mode when not in use? Probably boll0cks though!

F