Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Cameras are actually good!

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2006, 06:32 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Speed Cameras are actually good!

Bare with me a second on this one....

When was the last time you saw a traffic car out on the road? Late 90's?

Since we all pretty much know where the speed cameras are in our local areas we can all drive pretty much as fast as we like elsewhere without fear of getting caught.

So it makes the road safety idiots happy by having more, but takes away the random chances or actual 'live' police around the place so the observant can go as fast as they like

Everyones a winner
Old 08 June 2006, 06:34 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Don't know where you live, but the traffic cops are always knocking about round here
Old 08 June 2006, 06:38 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

we have loads of traffic cops round us. 2 unmarked in doncaster. one a dark blue vulva and the other a corsa
Old 08 June 2006, 06:44 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Poor Guy
we have loads of traffic cops round us. 2 unmarked in doncaster. one a dark blue vulva and the other a corsa
Funny that, I live 8 miles from Doncaster. Seems like we're in a bad area
Old 08 June 2006, 06:53 PM
axgt_bwaii
Scooby Regular

& im i grimsby. theres usually a copper parked up in a van every week without fail

stew
Old 08 June 2006, 06:55 PM
stew911
Scooby Regular

plenty round here in redditch and bromsgrove and got pulled by a silver skoda octavia RS only a few weeks ago!
Old 08 June 2006, 07:06 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Oh well, looks like all the police live south of the border. Sorry

Trending Topics

Old 08 June 2006, 07:10 PM
stew911
Scooby Regular

i don't live south of the border mate!
Old 08 June 2006, 07:13 PM
Dave uk blue mica
Scooby Regular

theres loads of traffic cars, unmarked cars and camera vans in my area in south wales
Old 08 June 2006, 07:17 PM
New_scooby_04

They are quite a few around my way (Kent)

Less patrol cars does mean that the sensible people who can exercise appropriate discretion on when to put their foot down a bit are getting away with speeding. Unfortunately, it also means that there are less patrol cars to catch the prats that speed to excess and in inappropriate situations, dangerous drivers, incompetent/unlicensed drivers, those who drive without insurance, drunk drivers, drugged up drivers et...

Ns04
Old 08 June 2006, 07:17 PM
white
Scooby Regular

Sorry but I would rather see a traffic cop about than those damn scameras.

With a copper there's always a chance he'll give you a stern talking to and let you go with your tail between your legs.

Cameras also do not discriminate either. You could some dodgy teenager driving past a camera with no tax, no licence etc and get away with it yet catch the experienced Subaru driver who perhaps does a few mph more (just a few ) an get done by the camera, yet if a cop car was sat there instead who's he more likely to pull. The dodgy looking youth or the Subaru driver doing 35 instead of 30.
Old 08 June 2006, 07:42 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

There was bike and a speed gun being pointed at me on my local B road 40 limit the other week....

Thank **** I was in the 106 Diesel and only about 5mph over the limit.
I'd normally be flying down that bit of road if I was in the Scoob.
Would'nt have gone down well at work.... I think three bans is enough already

Andy
Old 08 June 2006, 07:59 PM
Greatnorth
Scooby Regular

I win both ways cos County Durham is the only county in the country that doesnt have ANY fixed speed cameras! to this day i've seen 1 copper with a gun and you could see him a from way off even a speeding train could of slowed down in time.
Old 08 June 2006, 08:23 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

I'd rather have police patrols than cameras any day of the week. As has already been stated, a camera cannot catch a tailgating chav, an un-insured car or a badly driven Impreza

Steve
Old 08 June 2006, 08:57 PM
Echo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
They are quite a few around my way (Kent)

Less patrol cars does mean that the sensible people who can exercise appropriate discretion on when to put their foot down a bit are getting away with speeding. Unfortunately, it also means that there are less patrol cars to catch the prats that speed to excess and in inappropriate situations, dangerous drivers, incompetent/unlicensed drivers, those who drive without insurance, drunk drivers, drugged up drivers et...

Ns04
Just what I thought.
Old 08 June 2006, 10:03 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

yeah, but traffic plice have a strong rep for not beingany better than gatsos.. and gatso's don't pull you over just coz you have a nice car and they had a fight with there wife in the morning.

If we just shot all the violent criminals..in som sort of cull/amnesty then I could live with cameras instead of traffic cars
Old 09 June 2006, 09:37 AM
Scooby-Monster
Scooby Regular

I tend to get a more productive and intelligent conversation with a gatso over a copper to be fair
Old 09 June 2006, 10:26 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Gatsos are easier to bribe....just give them an old tyre and some petrol, placed, poured and lit in the appropriate places and knid Mr Gatso will drop your speeding ticket
Old 09 June 2006, 10:37 AM
Gregy
Scooby Regular

Gatso's are positioned to tax the motorist. End Of!

Any pretention to "road safety enforcement" is complete Bo***x. How many drivers do you see immediately speed up after passing a Cam? Loads.

If the Government really wanted to reduce road accidents by way of camera enforcement and speed reduction, they would be situated outside schools, shop parades etc., where children and pedestrians are at risk.

Instead, they place Gatos' on straight B roads where accident history is often negligable or non existant and hide them behind bushes that are not cropped back.

Dissapointed that memebers on here have been fooled by Government propaganda.
Old 09 June 2006, 10:42 AM
matchmaker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Greatnorth
I win both ways cos County Durham is the only county in the country that doesnt have ANY fixed speed cameras! to this day i've seen 1 copper with a gun and you could see him a from way off even a speeding train could of slowed down in time.
Ahem! A few places with no fixed cameras. No fixed cameras in the Northern Constabulary area, nor AFAIK in Central Scotland.

Plenty of patrols, unmarked cars, mobile scameras, handhelds, etc
Old 09 June 2006, 10:46 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Edited to add, this was a reply to Gregys post

ahh but you're wrong! Gatso's are there to please everybody.

Notice there are rarely gatso's outside schools. This is because chelsea tractors will come screaming through at around 20mph over the limit in these areas, and it's not nice to fine 'mum' for dropping her kids of at school.

The road safety people are happy in this case because as all the kids are in cars they cant get run over. If 'mum' lost her license for speeding the kids would walk to school and be run over by a car.

They are on straight roads so we can all see them and slow down, again keeps the road saftey people happy coz they're there. If you don't spot it coz you're scoffing a ginsters pie then it's your own fault. You dont drink and drive why would you eat and drive!

The point was since they cost so much to put up there is less traffic police checking our speed so we can go flat out elsewhere without worry of one sitting around the next corner

Works for me. I have no points.
Old 09 June 2006, 10:49 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

central scotland is riddled with cameras!
Old 09 June 2006, 11:09 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Well, I live in County Durham and as said above, we have no fixed speed camera's, and I for one hope it stays this way.
I've been stopped for speeding 4 times in 15 years for speeding by a copper in both marked & Unmarked cars. Once by a copper saying he was doing 130mph, just to catch me. I though my time was up that time..... but no, a simple "Look son, You've got a quick car and it is late at night (11:30pm) but just slow it down a bit, eh !!, now slow down & on your way"

That is what we want, coppers who use there discretion when it comes to speed = conditions = is it unsafe at the time to do those speeds.
the 3 points I do have are going through a speed camera on the outskirts of Newcastle. Single carriage way that open up to a dual carriage way going from 30 to 50mph. 50mph zone doesn't start until 200 yards into the dual carriage way. Camera at the very start of dual carriage way, just waiting for drivers to hit the dual carriage way and start accelerating up to 50mph. I was done at 41mph, 3 points, £60 fine, thank you very much.

Get rid of all camera's and get some bobbies back on the road using discretion to say what is/not safe for the conditions, and apply points when they deem it necessary to.
Old 09 June 2006, 11:52 AM
Sweepickit
Scooby Regular

Bournemouth is riddled with Gatsos . There is also a very active Dorset Mobile Photographic Society. There are at least 4 unmarked traffic vehicles (including a new age scoob) and plenty of section officers looking to move into traffic division by giving out loads of tickets . Talec system keeps all but the unmarked cars at bay!
Old 09 June 2006, 04:24 PM
Greatnorth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matchmaker
Ahem! A few places with no fixed cameras. No fixed cameras in the Northern Constabulary area, nor AFAIK in Central Scotland.

Plenty of patrols, unmarked cars, mobile scameras, handhelds, etc
I meant England mate, the Real country
Old 09 June 2006, 07:16 PM
matchmaker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5_245
central scotland is riddled with cameras!
As far as I know, there are no fixed cameras in the Central Scotland Police area
Old 09 June 2006, 07:19 PM
matchmaker
Scooby Regular

I meant England mate, the Real country
The county of Englandshire. I see.
Old 09 June 2006, 07:23 PM
BedHog
Scooby Regular

Last time i saw a traffic cop was 2 weeks ago, just as he pulled me up on my bike. Very nice man let me off with a bollocking though
Old 09 June 2006, 07:48 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matchmaker
As far as I know, there are no fixed cameras in the Central Scotland Police area
What counts as central scotland?
Old 10 June 2006, 05:04 PM
andyfish
Scooby Regular

Am up your part of the woods pretty often and get tailed by the occasional officer while they do a check but haven't been pulled yet. The Ch Constacle says he prefers 'inteligent policing' to cameras and the death / accident rate has fallen.

Trouble is, police cars and officers cost money and new labia is all about justifying your existence as a public servant - a gatso wins hands-down.

Quick Reply: Speed Cameras are actually good!