ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

REBUILD suggestions? new member

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2006, 12:44 AM
japsrool
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REBUILD suggestions? new member

hi there people im completely new to the scooby world. i have just moved from a 200sx to a scooby. paid £2900 for a Mreg 70,000miler black wrx with a bit of sti interior an exterior looks. its got a t timer, boost gauge, air filter, BOV an big brake conversion. as ive been told that scoobys are fragile i want to get a rebuild done straight away as ih8 problems, so any suggestions on wat sort of engine components would be ideal, who is tha best around and how much should i pay? this is goin 2 be my first car i wil be doin a rebuild on so i want everythn to be ace moneys not on the agenda.

manys thanks help would be appriciated.

Last edited by japsrool; 02 June 2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05 June 2006, 01:00 AM
AVI-8
Scooby Regular

Ok let me get this right, youv'e got a perfectly serviceable 70,000 mile engine, and you want to take it out and rebuild it just for the hell of it??

Why?

It should be good for at least another 70,000 miles unless you want to extract serious power, standard engines are good for over 300 hp, just change the oil regularly.
Old 05 June 2006, 01:22 AM
Spirit
Scooby Regular

Have to agree I've never really understood this 'rebuild it before it goes' sentiment. I have a 80k mile STi and it's running fine for now. If it goes pop I'll fork out to have it rebuilt, but why pay for a rebuild now when it might have another 70k left in it no problem?

I'd take it to somewhere with a 4wd rolling road and get a full health check done. If it's running 100% then leave it be, if any problems are revealed then spend your cash getting them sorted
Old 05 June 2006, 01:58 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I suppose it'll save the cost of a new crank and block. Would do it if I was doing it myself, however paying sombody else. well they'll probably treat it like a knackered engine and charge you as such instead of re-using any perfectly servicable components.

It's interesting to note how many engines will run quietly and happily with the big end bearings worn through to the copper and the owner be none the wiser to the engine's internal condition and excessive wear (except by having a routine oil analysis and lab report) ....until one day...suddenly....££££
Old 05 June 2006, 11:47 AM
japsrool
BANNED

Default rebuild suggestions

i guess u guys do hav a point i should wait. im a person that gets paranoid i bit quickly, h8 problems. by the way as one of u mentioned about the external of the engine i.e pistons, lower bearing, cams etc etc. thats wat i want to get checkd out. who wud u recommend i should go to? power engineering is the closest to me.

my m8s scooby recently caught fire, it started sumwer from the downpipe. but he kanes the crap out of his car. idont. i like to pamper my baby.

thanks 2 al da scooby dooby doos
Old 05 June 2006, 01:14 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No benefit in using text speak here ... each letter is free - so, please use them!

And wait for a rebuild to come due ...... then do it yourself, most of the cost is Labour and you will take your time and do it right for yourself.

Pete