Newbie - Import Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2006, 08:02 PM
peacher
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie - Import Questions

Hi,

I am a new member on this site so apologies in advance if my first post is going over old ground. I am planning to change my car in the next few months and fancy buying a new Impreza 06 WRX. Unfortunately my budget will not stretch to a UK car so I have been looking at the deals available through Car Supermarkets/Importers (for parallel imports).

I have done a search on old posts on this subject but am a little confused with what the consensus is. From reading the posts I can see that it is a bit of a hot topic but I am hoping that someone will be able to answer the following questions?

- Will these imported cars have the 3 years manufacturers warranty as advertised by the retailers? From previous posts it looks like there has been problems but my understanding is that as long whoever you buy the car from registers it with IM then it should (although it will be a slightly different warranty from the normal Subaru UK warranty) - is that correct?

- Do EU Import cars have different service intervals? Speaking to my local Subaru dealership he said they will have a different ECU and have to be serviced every 3000 miles but am not sure if this was just a scare tactic to get me to buy from them instead.

- If anyone has been in the same boat and bought an EU import, who would they recommed buying it from? I have been looking at the usual suspects (allbrandsnew, Motorpoint, Motordepot, Alliance, Motorprovider etc).

Cheers,

Peter
Old 03 June 2006, 11:24 PM
BS
Scooby Regular

Try Iain Litchfield www.litimports.co.uk
Old 04 June 2006, 12:51 AM
tim's wrx
Scooby Regular

Bought 05 model yr WRX wagon in Jan 05 from Motorpoint - no problems with them at all.

The cars all come with standard 3yr Euro warranty from the originating dealer - mine came from Malta - Subaru UK are obliged to honour this warranty and so is every other official Subaru dealer in Europe. Registration with Subaru UK is just a formality.

Different ECU !!!!! Scare tactics I guess - the cars all roll off the same production line in Japan. Shorter service intervals are specified by Subaru Malta due to the more demanding useage in Malta - short trips / stop/start etc but for use in UK the Subaru UK service intervals will be OK without jeopardising the warranty.

From my experience I'd never buy from Subaru UK dealer network - best way to counteract depreciation is to get the best possible price to start with.

For info on warranty

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...ighlight=liaco
Old 04 June 2006, 12:08 PM
peacher
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies.

Was only really concerned about the potential impact on warranty with buying an Import. If there is no issues then am probably just going go down that route to buying one. My current car (clio 172) was a parallel import from France and has had no problems (touch wood)