Sponsored by:

Another STI Tunning Thread - Who are the tuners

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2006, 11:04 AM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Another STI Tunning Thread - Who are the tuners

Sorry guys, there seem to be plenty of these threads flying around and i was unsure of which to post in....so i thought id start another one..

I have recenetly bought a STI on a 03 plate, and have been thinking about modding it..

I had a chat with the following tunners:

TSL 333 Package is close to £2000 + VAT as they recommend the Pulse extraction system for best performance. I am guessing this will be ner 333bhp maybe little more with similar torque.

Powerstation Stage 2 package is £1400 + VAT. They were unable to tell me what kind of Torque the car will run with this stage mod however it will be near 340BHP.

PowerEngeneering Package is £1100 + VAT. They have advised the power figured will be near 330bhp with the torque being near the same.

WRC 330 Package is £2000 inc VAT, Pushes to 330bhp. They however offer 0% finance option for 12 months whcih may be handy to some!

Now from the above the Power Engneering seems to be the cheapest and the most affordable. TSL is highly rated i have noticed on Scoobynet, but there is no way i can justify spending that much more money on my STI.

I am hoping to at the end maybe start a groupby for this, as all three companies will offer good pricing.

So i am looking for thought and opinions to the mapping of the STI only, ... are there anyother Tuners that i could talk to?

--Sam

Last edited by SamUK; 02 June 2006 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02 June 2006, 11:22 AM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm all over your threads today Sam.............

I have a 53 plate sti with ppp. TSL remapped the car using the ppp bits so all I basically paid for was the Tek3 @ £650.00. Well Lane rollers it showed the car was making 332 bhp with 290lbs torque.

Now I know you dont have the ppp but I'm not too happy with the "333" remap and I'm going down a different route.

Powerstation are doing a decnt price on their Tek 3 at the moment (£499) and coupled with a decent free flowing exhaust and panel filter I'm sure you'd be happy with the results?
Old 02 June 2006, 12:03 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

I had my 02 STI done by Paul at Zen Performance: STI panel filter, Walbro 255 fuel pump (supplied by me), Hayward and Scott sports cat to replace the down-pipe and cat-pipe. Total was about £1400, and gets me 326bhp and 320ftlbs. The power figure may be slightly low because with the RR it was done on, the fan doesn't blow into the scoop properly.

And FWIW, Paul does the mapping for TSL at the moment anyway.

M
Old 02 June 2006, 12:06 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by _Meridian_
I had my 02 STI done by Paul at Zen Performance: STI panel filter, Walbro 255 fuel pump (supplied by me), Hayward and Scott sports cat to replace the down-pipe and cat-pipe. Total was about £1400, and gets me 326bhp and 320ftlbs. The power figure may be slightly low because with the RR it was done on, the fan doesn't blow into the scoop properly.

And FWIW, Paul does the mapping for TSL at the moment anyway.

M
Yep, i know this as i had my previous car mapped from him. How are you finding it?
Old 02 June 2006, 12:11 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Why dont you try WRC tech??? they are meant to be good
Old 02 June 2006, 12:35 PM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

http://www.wrc-tech.co.uk/subaru-04sti-performance.htm
Old 02 June 2006, 12:56 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Okay..

WRC price added to the top list...at £2000 inc vat...still quite expensive compared to Powerengeneering
Old 02 June 2006, 01:10 PM
Mocom Racing
Former Sponsor

With a decat system, a Walbro and a remap you should see around 320bhp and 335lbft - some rollers may indicate slightly higher or lower figures.
Old 02 June 2006, 01:11 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

i've noticed all these prices are plus vat.

why dont you do it your self i.e. second hand full decat off fleabay/Scoobynet 3-350, green panel filter 40+ quid, uprated fuel pump 50-100 plus a remap off Andy F 550+ shoudl be able to get it all in for 1000-1200 quid

just a thought
Old 02 June 2006, 01:51 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

You know that is exactly what i was thinking...

---------

I was thinking of sourcing the parts over sometime, then when ready have them fitted along with the Remap for when i am ready...

I have on my list so far:
  • TSL GREEN Group N Performance panel Filter
What else do i need:
  • What Fuel Pump will do me?
  • What downpipe?
  • Center Section - can this be resinated (to keep the noice to a minimum)
  • Back Box: looking for something very quite, like the standard STI one
Old 02 June 2006, 01:55 PM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

WRC will give you a guarantee of 330bhp on the 330 package.
Old 02 June 2006, 02:14 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SamUK
You know that is exactly what i was thinking...

---------

I was thinking of sourcing the parts over sometime, then when ready have them fitted along with the Remap for when i am ready...

I have on my list so far:
  • TSL GREEN Group N Performance panel Filter
What else do i need:
  • What Fuel Pump will do me?
  • What downpipe?
  • Center Section - can this be resinated (to keep the noice to a minimum)
  • Back Box: looking for something very quite, like the standard STI one

maybe a Walbro fuel pump or an alternative - check out motorsportworld or scoobymania and then look on Scoobynet/fleabay

make sure your pipe is 3" if you are going for 350ish - magnex back boxes are quite and sound lovely.

MY99 classic had an Andy F remap, Japspeed downpipe (yep you heard correct i've never heard of them either) H&S centre and Scoobysport backbox. all bought seperately off Scoobynet or Fleabay.

I had my resonator box junked and a air intake pipe fitted, some decent spark plugs fitted and an STi fuel pump fitted.

If you know someone who can fit it cheap you will save a bomb mate.

it is worth hunting around.

just start off in the for sale section on here. or post a wanted ad in 'wanted'
Old 02 June 2006, 02:30 PM
alwong
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I'm watchng this thread with interest cos I've booked my car in for a TSL333 upgrade for the 12 June!
Old 02 June 2006, 03:13 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

The list Continues:
  • TSL GREEN Group N Performance panel Filter @ £47
  • Walbro Fuel Pump @ £80
Do i need a Decat Downpipe or a Sports Downpipe? One i think will pass the emmisions and the other will not is that correct? also what is the performance loss between the two if any?

Do you mean the center section is 3" or the downpipe?

I think i will be getting under 340bhp...unless ofcourse the remap for when it is done is bliding good and fast...
Old 02 June 2006, 03:21 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

The list Continues:
  • TSL GREEN Group N Performance panel Filter @ £47
  • Walbro Fuel Pump @ £80
Do i need a Decat Downpipe or a Sports Downpipe? One i think will pass the emmisions and the other will not is that correct? also what is the performance loss between the two if any?

Do you mean the center section is 3" or the downpipe?

I think i will be getting under 340bhp...unless ofcourse the remap for when it is done is bliding good and fast...

A downpipe with a sports 'cat' should pass ommissions but a fully decatted downpipe wont. although a sports cat will be a lot more expensive.
performance loss would be minimal say a few bhp or so.

the downpipe starts at 2.5 and opens out to 3" (i think) and continues all to the centre pipe.

mine is 2.5" but is only up to 280bhp - i've heard that a 2.5" can be a bit restrictive above 350-360bhp.

check out www.andyforrestperformance.co.uk
Old 02 June 2006, 03:36 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Ah, thats what TSL use in there 333 conversion, and it costs £400!!

I used to run a 3" center on my old classic runnig near 320bhp, and found loss of power at low revs, and moved back to a 2.5"...

I think i will be undr he border for a 3" requirement....maybe...
Old 02 June 2006, 05:54 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

TSL price is so high as they use a £400 Sport Down Pipe...and ofcourse the Labour time involved.

PowerStation Package, use a Decat Downpipe, and the Center Section with a CAT, and have advised this will pass emmisions and this apparantly also helps with the Turbo Spool up...

WRC 330 Package, runs a complete Decat, hence it will not pass the next MOT, however unsure why it is so expensive, when you will get stuck on the next MOT! hover the option is there at an additional £200 for the Sports cat.

I have put some rough numbers together for the part and its costing near £1300 without labour, though with the sports down pipe.

TSL Group N Air Filter £47
Walbro Fuel Pump £80
Sports CAT Downpipe £400
DECAT centre section £99
TSL Group "N" Back Box 4" tailpipe £175
Map £500

£1,301

Labour time to have the above installed is near 4 hours, which again will bump up the costs even more i think by near £200. So £1500....

I give UP!
Old 02 June 2006, 06:22 PM
Scooby Dan
Scooby Regular

You might want to consider some decent headers too , or at the very least get the standard ones ported and wrapped. Something like GT Spec tubular headers would cost about £450 wrapped and a couple of hours to fit, you will notice that the turbo will spool up much quicker and you will get much more torque
I have tried various things on my STI 7 which was PPP'd but my spec is now below.

PPP Fuel pump
STI panel filter
Full 3 inch Blue Flame exhaust system with twin dump down pipe
Wrapped GT Spec Gen 2 headers and up pipe
Tek 3 Remap by Richard Bulmer

Along the way I have dumped the Prodrive exhaust , a TSL Group N backbox which I was advised was very restrictive, and a full Jap Innovations exhaust (didn't sound nice with the new headers but sounded awesome before).

I could have got similar figures with a 2.5 exhaust and ported headers but decided to go for the upgraded items because once you get used to the power you will always want more so I was thinking ahead to the next stage of mods
My car is currently pushing out 341 bhp and 352 lb ft. I was hoping for a little more bhp but the torque makes the car great to drive
Old 02 June 2006, 07:17 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

That is a nice torque figure Dan.
Old 02 June 2006, 08:35 PM
wolfie28
Scooby Regular

A few tuners to give a try:

1. Scoobyclinic, Chesterfield area.
2. Carnetix, Melton Mowbray, used to be part of TSL now on their own.
3. Graham Goode Racing, Leicester area.
4. Roger Clark Motorsport, Leicester area.

A good search on the internet should find web sites and contact numbers for the above.

Happy searching, Wolfie.

Last edited by wolfie28; 02 June 2006 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02 June 2006, 08:41 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by jd5217
WRC will give you a guarantee of 330bhp on the 330 package.
i thought was dependent on base bhp?
martin
Old 02 June 2006, 11:57 PM
Davey P
Scooby Regular

Instead of worrying about the figures the car is going to produce on the dyno, look at which package gives you the most value for money and how many happy customers are out there with that particular package.

I have a feeling your STI runs a VF35 turbo, if it does then it "may" suffer from boost crep once a de-cat is fitted and you can't always map around this, so you would need the wastegate porting, which in turn would cost you more money. Speak to the tuners and see what they all say.
Old 03 June 2006, 12:21 AM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Davey P
Instead of worrying about the figures the car is going to produce on the dyno, look at which package gives you the most value for money and how many happy customers are out there with that particular package.

I have a feeling your STI runs a VF35 turbo, if it does then it "may" suffer from boost crep once a de-cat is fitted and you can't always map around this, so you would need the wastegate porting, which in turn would cost you more money. Speak to the tuners and see what they all say.
First time i have heard of this, tbh all the tunners i have spoke to have said there tunning package is good and spoolup will improve. They have all said near the samething, near enough same gains however at different prices.

Though i do not like the fact that tuner wold consider running a full decat in a car

From the above that i have called i think only TSL use a Sports CAT which is a good thing....i guess
Old 03 June 2006, 06:32 AM
reano
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by p1doc
i thought was dependent on base bhp?
martin
I think the wrc350 is dependent on base but the 330bhp is more reliable (and easy) to get! I think 350/350 is a safe 'max' limit to go for with the standard turbo. I'm running c335bhp and 340 - 350 torque this was done via wrc tech

I had PPP to begin with but had the addition of the APS cold air intake, bigger intercooler, auto intercooler spray and a remap (via wrc). I also have the prodrive springs on 18" with the Powerstation stage one handling kit.

The only thing that may be worthwhile (at a reasonable cost) is maybe changing the discs and pads to better ones (when they need replacing). After this it's major work to get to stage 3 (380/380 and beyond).
Old 03 June 2006, 08:36 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by RLE
That is a nice torque figure Dan.
Not bad figures for a remapped car but try this for a standard JDM.... 318bhp 356lbs of torque thats a torque figure (standard exhaust etc)
Scary thing is, is that can be mapped to nearly 400lbs of the stuff

Sam, also try Prosport up in Stockport, thats where Richard Bulmer does his magic

Tony
Old 03 June 2006, 09:20 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

TSL price is so high as they use a £400 Sport Down Pipe...and ofcourse the Labour time involved.

PowerStation Package, use a Decat Downpipe, and the Center Section with a CAT, and have advised this will pass emmisions and this apparantly also helps with the Turbo Spool up...

WRC 330 Package, runs a complete Decat, hence it will not pass the next MOT, however unsure why it is so expensive, when you will get stuck on the next MOT! hover the option is there at an additional £200 for the Sports cat.

I have put some rough numbers together for the part and its costing near £1300 without labour, though with the sports down pipe.

TSL Group N Air Filter £47
Walbro Fuel Pump £80
Sports CAT Downpipe £400
DECAT centre section £99
TSL Group "N" Back Box 4" tailpipe £175
Map £500

£1,301

Labour time to have the above installed is near 4 hours, which again will bump up the costs even more i think by near £200. So £1500....

I give UP!
Just FYI, i used TSL on my MY03 WRX in 2003. I too decided then i wanted it road legal for the emissions, and then i paid nearly £600 for the Thundercat downpipe they sell cheaper now. Suffice to say, last month it pissed through the MOT. The only annoying thing is i never saw any co2 paperwork to say how the emissions were, but TBH, i got the new type pass certificate, so that is all that matter! LOL.
I would not spend any money on full decat, it aint worth it at MOT time.
And dont forget, things are gonna get harder emissions wise, so really you do need a cat in there somewhere.
Old 03 June 2006, 09:21 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Not bad figures for a remapped car but try this for a standard JDM.... 318bhp 356lbs of torque thats a torque figure (standard exhaust etc)
Scary thing is, is that can be mapped to nearly 400lbs of the stuff

Sam, also try Prosport up in Stockport, thats where Richard Bulmer does his magic

Tony
Tony, whats gone off with TSL and Richard then? Richard did my car. I thought he still worked freelance for TSL?
Old 03 June 2006, 10:03 AM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Davey P

I have only really seen boost creep on STIs with the APS 3.5" exhaust fitted, the risk of creep is generally small IMHO. Also IMHO, the TSL pulse extraction exhaust is about the best quality exhaust you can get for your car, I wish I had something as nice to sell myself!

These days it's not worth going for a full decat if you can really help it. A good high flow cat works wonders, the PPP unit is one of the better ones.
Old 03 June 2006, 11:33 AM
Davey P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Zen Performance
I have only really seen boost creep on STIs with the APS 3.5" exhaust fitted, the risk of creep is generally small IMHO. Also IMHO, the TSL pulse extraction exhaust is about the best quality exhaust you can get for your car, I wish I had something as nice to sell myself!

These days it's not worth going for a full decat if you can really help it. A good high flow cat works wonders, the PPP unit is one of the better ones.
Fair enough, just something I heard, so I thought I would mention it. Thanks for clearing that up
Old 03 June 2006, 03:31 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my 2002 STI mapped by Zak @ Mocom Racing...

2002 STI Prodrive
Full H&S System
255 Fuel Pump
Green panel filter.

Please note, the red is the car with the exhaust only, you will notice it only runs to 5500rpm.. this was due to it detting so we had to shut it down.
Yellow is the car fitted with the fuel pump and a semi cleaned fuel map with standard boost.
The green is the car after Zaks mapping... Its pulls much much stronger and the torque is much lower down.

I can only speak as i find and im so glad i took the car to him as opposed to taking it to anyone else. I cant say enough for Mocom Racing but i'lll let everyone else find out for themselves.

Bright lines on the graph are BHP dull lines are Torque.

ALL FIGURES ARE @ THE WHEELS

Quick Reply: Another STI Tunning Thread - Who are the tuners