Sponsored by:

Hijacking and Impreza ownership

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2006, 06:04 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hijacking and Impreza ownership

With the recent stories of car jacking/theft its got my negative thoughts stirring again about Impreza ownership.
I think my car is the best i have ever owned to date but stories of armed hijacking makes me think.
I am probably being stupid but still, **** can happen.
Anybody else worry about things that might or might not happen.

I tell myself that these hijackings could happen no matter what car you drive...this works until i read another thread on scoobynet.

Any thoughts

Nik.
Old 31 May 2006, 06:08 PM
rally_driver
Scooby Regular

It`s a concern to all us proud Scooby owners mate & it could happen to anyone, anywhere at any time !! You could always install a Blackjax & Tracker for peace of mind, then if it does go u have a good chance of getting it back !!

Personally, I don`t let the thought of a hijack concern me too much as life`s too short.....Enjoy the experience whilst you can !!
Old 31 May 2006, 06:11 PM
graeme.
Scooby Regular

It's a pity something like this has to happen, again, for us to take a good look at the perils of Subaru ownership.

What can we do to reduce the risk of this happening ??

Is it just Scooby's or any decent car ??
Old 31 May 2006, 06:17 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Stop worrying and enjoy your car.

Any car is liable to jacking if the crook wants it for a purpose.

Even an old Astra was jacked around this area not so long ago to be used in a getaway !!

Rob
Old 31 May 2006, 06:17 PM
prodrive SL
Scooby Regular

Could happen with anything. A guy at work had an old golf gti 20vt taken a while back.
Old 31 May 2006, 06:18 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Fair to say, probably any decent car . . .

The precautions i took was reset the alarm so doors always arm upon ignition, and fit some all round bandit glass . . .So, i will only respond if i am threatened with a gun . . .

SEcondly . .Don't forget . . You're in a Scoob, so you can always get away!

But the very bootom line is, if push comes to shove, and someone wants the car so much he/she is prepared to kill for it, then they can have the car . . .Best stay out of harms way . . .

In our civilised society we have something called insurance . . . .And that is the best line of defence . . .
Old 31 May 2006, 06:20 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX300MAN

The precautions i took was reset the alarm so doors always arm upon ignition, and fit some all round bandit glass . . .So, i will only respond if i am threatened with a gun . . .

SEcondly . .Don't forget . . You're in a Scoob, so you can always get away!

But the very bootom line is, if push comes to shove, and someone wants the car so much he/she is prepared to kill for it, then they can have the car . . .Best stay out of harms way . . .

In our civilised society we have something called insurance . . . .And that is the best line of defence . . .
Not so these days I'm afraid !!

Rob

Trending Topics

Old 31 May 2006, 06:29 PM
graeme.
Scooby Regular

So if we are selling our cars:

Meet outside a police station.
Take 2 very big mates with you.
Stab proof vest.
See some I.D.
Only one in the car with you for a test drive, the other two seats taken by afore mentioned big mates.
Old 31 May 2006, 07:07 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got my car set to lock when engine starts, always drive round with doors locked and never get out without looking round first!

Not so worried about the jacking, more that I may not hand over the keys without a beating... in theory I would, but I work ****ing hard for that car !
Old 31 May 2006, 07:08 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by graeme.
So if we are selling our cars:

Meet outside a police station.
Take 2 very big mates with you.
Stab proof vest.
See some I.D.
Only one in the car with you for a test drive, the other two seats taken by afore mentioned big mates.
Also demand they bring unmarked bills and when on test drive rob them
Old 31 May 2006, 07:18 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

I too have concerns, but **** it, you only live once!
The one thing i have done since ownership of my WRX is i have always driven with the doors locked, and i always will.
Only on long continous or motorway journeys will i drive with my doors unlocked. Gets to be a pain sometimes, but its a necessity in todays age i feel.
Old 31 May 2006, 07:42 PM
howellsy42
Scooby Regular

i had a taste fully moddified v6 calibra before my sti me and a friend were sat at a big traffic island near brumingham when a micra pulled up behind us now my car had smoked windows so i was hard to see thu them and i had my window open about 200mm it was also fitted with an alarm that locked the doors once you were inside now an asian guy gets out of the micra four of them in it and walks up to the window ask if i have a light i say no then he start shouting at me to get out of the car an produced a small knife he tired the doors but they were locked thank god so i quickly drove off they then started to follow us so we headed to the pub were all my mates were about 20 of them but after a few miles the micra got scared an turned round ~!! always have my doors locked any were i go now scray world we live in !
Old 31 May 2006, 07:54 PM
dougwrx
Scooby Regular

Stop being so soft man, and enjoy your car if it happens it happens. You can't go through life being worried about things that probably wont happen
Old 31 May 2006, 08:29 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

I'm not soft but i could do without some tosser trying to tear me out of my car whilst my two kids are sat in the back.
However i agree things like this are a rare (hopefully) occurance so i will get on with it and enjoy every minute of Impreza ownership.

Originally Posted by dougwrx
Stop being so soft man, and enjoy your car if it happens it happens. You can't go through life being worried about things that probably wont happen
Old 31 May 2006, 08:30 PM
simpsons !
Scooby Regular

Location: A Yorkshireman living in Lancashire, Recruiting for the War of the Roses part deux!

[quote=WRX300MAN]Fair to say, probably any decent car . . .

The precautions i took was reset the alarm so doors always arm upon ignition,

How do you do that then ? I could do with that instead of locking them manually.
Old 31 May 2006, 08:33 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

The code should be in your alarm manual. There's a four digit code that you type into the keypad and hey presto!
Think i will be setting mine up as well.

[quote=simpsons !]
Originally Posted by WRX300MAN

The precautions i took was reset the alarm so doors always arm upon ignition,

How do you do that then ? I could do with that instead of locking them manually.
Old 31 May 2006, 08:38 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

If your worried, sell you car and buy a £300 banger ......
Old 31 May 2006, 08:50 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
If your worried, sell you car and buy a £300 banger ......
LOL then they try to rob that cos it'll have minimal security You can't win
Old 31 May 2006, 08:52 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Still got an alarm and imobilizer on it ....... There was technology 12 years ago you know
Old 31 May 2006, 08:58 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you

...and how many of those alarms/immobilisers will still be working 12 years later?

To be honest I was getting at the fact that if a ****** wants to nick your car then they will, doesn't matter if its a Lada...although a nicer car will attract attention...
Old 31 May 2006, 09:01 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

[quote=Jamesemt]...and how many of those alarms/immobilisers will still be working 12 years later?

quote]

Pretty much all of them I would think, else the owners insurance would be invalid.

I understand your comment though.

Move to a better area, like down south then
Old 31 May 2006, 09:08 PM
dougwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
I'm not soft but i could do without some tosser trying to tear me out of my car whilst my two kids are sat in the back.
However i agree things like this are a rare (hopefully) occurance so i will get on with it and enjoy every minute of Impreza ownership.
Old 31 May 2006, 09:30 PM
Dill_typeR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the law stating you can use like for like force in self defence, does anyone know if any of the anti hijack methods used in South Africa can be fitted legally in UK, i doubt it but......
Old 31 May 2006, 09:35 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

I presume you mean the flamer, great idea, char grilled scum

Originally Posted by Dill_typeR
With the law stating you can use like for like force in self defence, does anyone know if any of the anti hijack methods used in South Africa can be fitted legally in UK, i doubt it but......
Old 31 May 2006, 09:40 PM
scarey
Scooby Regular

why let the bar stewards win?

I know the "risks" which would be no different if I had a b-mer/audi/merc etc...
Old 31 May 2006, 09:41 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

You here about Impreza thefts because this is a Subaru forum. Go to any other car forum and you can read about thefts and carjackings of their particular marque.

I went to go to work on Tuesday and found my ignition wires torn out, my mirrors missing and all the locks destroyed in an attempted theft - on a 50cc Vespa.
Old 31 May 2006, 10:34 PM
666pug
Scooby Regular

Is the self locking doors upon ignition an alarm thing?? my scoob is a 11 years old and locks the doors on the turn of the key! thought it was just built into the car??
Old 31 May 2006, 10:37 PM
666pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dill_typeR
have also heard of a bloke fitting a long blade type thing under the car that rotates very quickly on the press of a button. Dont think they would try jacking again with no legs!!!
Old 31 May 2006, 10:45 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This Impreza stolen/hijacked thing is skewed a lot when you read it on here ... it looks like it happens all the time.

Its the exact same thing as Engine Rebuilds ... not many blow up - but you hear about them and so they take on this imaginary high failure rate ... which is totally against the reality.

The reality of a car hijack is very real to those involved, and I feel for them ..... but, it is not common and sensible precautions can save you from being a victim.

I would say that owning a Impreza Wagon is the NUMBER ONE most important rule to avoid the eyes of the thieves ... I mean a standard wagon too!!

Drive around in a big LOUD car with BIG wing and all showing off and you are ASKING for attention - you may just get the wrong kind of attention!!

Oh, yes, those CockLink lights flashing on and off makes the thieves think that it's a 'special' Impreza that is so fast and so powerful that it needs pretty likkle lights to monitor it!!!! THROW THEM AWAY NOW!

Pete
Old 31 May 2006, 10:51 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
This Impreza stolen/hijacked thing is skewed a lot when you read it on here ... it looks like it happens all the time.

Its the exact same thing as Engine Rebuilds ... not many blow up - but you hear about them and so they take on this imaginary high failure rate ... which is totally against the reality.

The reality of a car hijack is very real to those involved, and I feel for them ..... but, it is not common and sensible precautions can save you from being a victim.

I would say that owning a Impreza Wagon is the NUMBER ONE most important rule to avoid the eyes of the thieves ... I mean a standard wagon too!!

Drive around in a big LOUD car with BIG wing and all showing off and you are ASKING for attention - you may just get the wrong kind of attention!!

Oh, yes, those CockLink lights flashing on and off makes the thieves think that it's a 'special' Impreza that is so fast and so powerful that it needs pretty likkle lights to monitor it!!!! THROW THEM AWAY NOW!

Pete
Evening Pete, top effort btw getting a cocklink dig in on this thread

Quick Reply: Hijacking and Impreza ownership