Sell me the whole Impreza thing

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2006, 09:34 PM
Zeon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sell me the whole Impreza thing

Hi there,

I'm in the fortunate position to have a nice little budget for a new car (circa £15k). I've been looking at various Impreza's and don't have a clue about the all models out there. I've seen old shape P1's and new shape STI's for about the same money. So a few quick questions:

1. Which is the best model for this money (£15k)?

2. My friend has an EVO9 and it has really short service intervals are Impreza's service intervals similar?

3. Is it frowned upon to modify editions like the P1 should they be kept standard or doesn't it matter if you modify them?

Thanks
Old 30 May 2006, 09:41 PM
Andy 02STI
Scooby Regular

I got an 02 STI Prodrive with 33k on for £13.5 from dealer, its perfect in every way and except for uprated suspension, milltek exhaust and tinted windows its standard and there is no need in my opinion to mess around any further - although I might...
Old 30 May 2006, 09:48 PM
Her at the back
Scooby Regular

AWB's wide boy is up for sale ask Daren for details on 01245 248019 or email via www.a-b-w.co.uk
Old 30 May 2006, 09:52 PM
Zeon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Her at the back
AWB's wide boy is up for sale ask Daren for details on 01245 248019 or email via www.a-b-w.co.uk
It's a bit too flash looking for me is that.
Old 30 May 2006, 10:52 PM
graeme.
Scooby Regular

It depends on what you are after.

I had a standard wrx (MY00) and it was a brilliant car. Stuck to the road like glue, easy to drive, I could go on praising it all day.

Then you say to yourself, where do I go from here ?

I thought my ultimate car was an STi ppp, so I got one, and I just don't get it.

The 6 speed box is a nightmare, you are never in the correct gear for anthing and are forever changing up or down.

The suspension is rockhard and unforgiving, the car skips round corners and understeers.

I have been trying my hardest to like it, but I just don't.

As I mentioned, it depends on what you are after.

Some great threads, great advice and some very knowledgable people on here.

Hope you find your dream car !!
Old 30 May 2006, 10:56 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

There have been reliability issues with P1's as much as i love them i'd say dont get one.

Service intervals are twice as long as an EVO - so dont worry on that score.

I'd say get an STi and if you can afford it at a later date spend a couple of grand modding it.

An STI has a stronger engine and gearbox and more scope for tuning compared to the WRX. but is possibly less forgiving than the WRX.

Drive both then make your mind up
Old 30 May 2006, 10:56 PM
haroldhettaturbo
Scooby Regular

Just got my self a classic. 2000 turbo awd 1999.

Absolutly better than anyone can describe.

Better than anything else iv driven.

Had a calibra turbo b4 it and that dosnt even compare.

Trending Topics

Old 30 May 2006, 11:01 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Zeon
Hi there,

I'm in the fortunate position to have a nice little budget for a new car (circa £15k). I've been looking at various Impreza's and don't have a clue about the all models out there. I've seen old shape P1's and new shape STI's for about the same money. So a few quick questions:

2. My friend has an EVO9 and it has really short service intervals are Impreza's service intervals similar?

3. Is it frowned upon to modify editions like the P1 should they be kept standard or doesn't it matter if you modify them?

Thanks

Very much so IMO, if you want to sod around with a car, buy a replacable mainstream car WRX/STI

Just my opinion
Old 30 May 2006, 11:10 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Just wtach out for over-inflated values of older models. Some of the prices peeps are charging for a common garden classic that's tired and thrashed is getting far too silly now.

For that reason alone, I'd be tempted for a new Euro Import WRX or STI, although the 3yr warrantee will **** up any hope of mods for the first few years

Old classic shapes are all tired, worn out, overpriced, lemore basic inside than a micra, and the engine/gearbox will blow up. Bug eyes are cheap, but slow and ugly. So that leave the later blobeye and onwards.
Old 30 May 2006, 11:14 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Old classic shapes are all tired, worn out, overpriced, lemore basic inside than a micra, and the engine/gearbox will blow up. Bug eyes are cheap, but slow and ugly. So that leave the later blobeye and onwards.

sorry mate your wrong there.

a lot of dogs out there - but not all. some good bargains if you look carefully and some good unmolested examples.

although apart from the seats they do look crap inside

Edited - i dont think mine looks too shabby

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gillp95...hief%20800.jpg

Last edited by The Chief; 30 May 2006 at 11:17 PM.
Old 30 May 2006, 11:18 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Cut him a little slack; he's jaded.....
Old 30 May 2006, 11:19 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Yep you right...there's my MY98....42K FSH, not one tacky mod in sight...wanna buy it?

According to some ads I've seen recently seen for cars of similar age, type and spec with more miles. Basing a value on their prices I should be asking £8K LOL. Even knocking off £2K wouldn't being it within sniffing range of the glass's value

Last edited by ALi-B; 30 May 2006 at 11:22 PM.
Old 30 May 2006, 11:26 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Yep you right...there's my MY98....42K FSH, not one tacky mod in sight...wanna buy it?

According to some ads I've seen recently seen for cars of similar age, type and spec with more miles. Basing a value on their prices I should be asking £8K LOL. Even knocking off £2K wouldn't being it within sniffing range of the glass's value
I agree some people go over the top with prices.

i paid nearly 7k for mine but even after the mods (which add nowt) i'd be lucky to get 5.5k for it.

some people need to get realistic to how much their classic is worth - unless its a mint P1 or 22B etc.
Old 30 May 2006, 11:35 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I agree, p1 22b, type R should fetch a premium due to rarity. They are a bit special, and need to be molly coddled and keep some originality, rather than being turned into yet another over-tuned, over-winged rice rocket, and driven to destruction.

The rest is just as common as muck hum drum Imprezas, plenty about. Many cars look nice and tidy but are "used" enthusiastically, more time spent using the swissol and winding up the BHP, rather than giving the mechnicals a well earned break and refresh. I'd dread to look for a classic nowadays, the market was a minefield fives years ago, and it's not got any better.

So all I'm saying really is to take care at what your looking at, and ask is it "really" worth the price the person is asking (unless it has a paid APi invoice for a brand new engine and box from last week in the glovebox )

Last edited by ALi-B; 30 May 2006 at 11:45 PM.
Old 31 May 2006, 08:34 AM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

Just some little thoughts floating about my stem cells...i can tell it's gonna be a funny day already.

Dont know if its just me, I find it strange the way some people value cars.
Obviously people if selling want as much as they can get, and when buying want to pay as little as poss.
We all say a car isnt an investment, and shouldnt be thought of as such;
Then if so..
why do we see so many ads with it has this and it has that.
Mods are NOT an investment.

Why do we quote Glass's etc "well its worth xxxxx with that mileage"
Quoting what it should be worth, is again treating it like an investment.
( dont forget folks investments can go down as well as up )

People should offer for a car what THEY think its worth, not quibble what Glass's says or IT'S GOT A DUMP VALVE and add a grand; if the seller dont like it don't sell it....
DONT TELL ME WHAT GLASS'S SAYS I'M NOT INTERESTED

and relax
Old 31 May 2006, 09:01 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Hi there,

You should be able to get an 04 STi or 03 STi PPP. I would go for an 03 STi, for around £14k and spend the £1k correcting it's shortfalls, witha few subtle mods.

Much longer service intervals. About 5k for oil change and 10k for service generally.

Thanks
I think it could be. The people who want one of the becoming-rare cars would more likely appreciate an original one, unless the mods are subtle and the car is better for it. IMO.

Take out an 03/04 STi and see what you think. PPP is overrated, but the car will be better for it, but i'd take one without the PPP and buy similar & better upgrades yourself. 03 will be coming out of warranty soon/already anyway.
Old 31 May 2006, 09:20 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

You should be able to pick up an 03-04 STi for IRO £13k privately now. As Gaz above says, the warranty is almost over so you can either get and enjoy a PPP'd model, or get a bit more power and buy a standard car and use the saving to do some better mods. Maybe consider a PPP'd 04 and spend the difference on suspension, such as the Powerstation Type 20/25 kit (AST coilovers and Whiteline goodies).

Service intervals are 10k with major services at 30+60k, so if it's anywhere near them make sure they're done before you buy. The cam-belt should be done at 50k or 60 months, whichever's first.

As others have said, P1's and 22B's should not be mod'd except for a few very choice items. They require much more care and attention and are more suited to being a 2nd car than a daily drive.

Welcome to SNet
Old 31 May 2006, 10:14 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

DONT TELL ME WHAT GLASS'S SAYS I'M NOT INTERESTED
Seeing you asked so nicely

Glasses says my car is "worth" £3000 for comparison, Parkers says £4500.
And how much do you see the equivelent car in autotrader? £5900 + Dump valve + afterburner lights.

Oh the fun and games

Last edited by ALi-B; 31 May 2006 at 10:42 AM.
Old 31 May 2006, 10:32 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Glass's reckon mine's worth £8.5k They're either gonna have to get realistic or dealers are gonna get punched a lot more often
Old 31 May 2006, 11:03 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glass is overvalued for some cars. I was buying at Glass trade in price from a franchised dealer recently. Then I still lost £900 a month over six months to get a private sale thereafter.
Old 31 May 2006, 11:07 AM
nakedjem
Scooby Regular

Zeon, as a possibility i've got my 2003 Blobeye (new shape) Sti Type UK, FSH, minor mods, 38k miles, for less than £13,000 on the for sale section. This car is still under warranty UNTIL APRIL 2007.

Much better than an evo mate,

Jerry
Old 31 May 2006, 11:09 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Under £13k for an 03 STi
Old 31 May 2006, 11:17 AM
homerjay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Under £13k for an 03 STi
only by people who are DESPERATE to sell, you just have to wait for the right person to come along, and you get much more...

cheap cars are cheap for a reason usually, and even if they are not, buyers can be put off because they wonder why its so cheap.

i want over 15k for mine, because i beleive its worth it for such a 'foreign mod free' example with ppp and ppf7 wheels and 33k on the clock.

im in no rush to sell but i'll reduce accordingly as time passes, but i gonna start knocking 1000's off just coz it doesnt sell in the 1st month.

Last edited by homerjay; 31 May 2006 at 11:19 AM.
Old 31 May 2006, 11:48 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Don't worry, it'll sell - plenty of mugs with too much cash about
Old 31 May 2006, 11:59 AM
simpsons !
Scooby Regular

Location: A Yorkshireman living in Lancashire, Recruiting for the War of the Roses part deux!

Originally Posted by homerjay
only by people who are DESPERATE to sell, you just have to wait for the right person to come along, and you get much more...

cheap cars are cheap for a reason usually, and even if they are not, buyers can be put off because they wonder why its so cheap.

i want over 15k for mine, because i beleive its worth it for such a 'foreign mod free' example with ppp and ppf7 wheels and 33k on the clock.

im in no rush to sell but i'll reduce accordingly as time passes, but i gonna start knocking 1000's off just coz it doesnt sell in the 1st month.
Why are you selling matey ? I hope you did'nt think that you were gonna get car jacked the other night when i said hello !
Old 31 May 2006, 12:19 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Year old STi on 6600 miles for less than £17k from Motorpoint, for five times the mileage and two years older, despite PPP, I wouldn't go anything over £12k.
Old 31 May 2006, 12:33 PM
Sport160
Scooby Regular

Zeon

The options are probably to wide open at the moment.

Think you need to decide if you want a WRX or an STi as your first decision, probably need to arrange test drives of std WRX, PPP WRX, Std STI and PPP STI to give you the various benchmarks. There are pro and cons to each type depending upon what you want from a car. I'm assuming here you're after a UK car, not a JDM or similar.

Once you have made the basic decsion over the model type it will be easier to find a car that offers good value for money to you
Old 31 May 2006, 12:39 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nakedjem
Zeon, as a possibility i've got my 2003 Blobeye (new shape) Sti Type UK, FSH, minor mods, 38k miles, for less than £13,000 on the for sale section. This car is still under warranty UNTIL APRIL 2007.

Much better than an evo mate,

Jerry
Sounds a good deal. Less than 13k for a 03 STi is worrying though.
Old 31 May 2006, 12:39 PM
nakedjem
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Under £13k for an 03 STi
Had mine on for two months now (or more). It's not that there's anything wrong with the car, it's just that noone's buying at the moment. And it isn't a buyers or sellers market ther's no such thing. Someone will always come along evetually if the car is roughly the right price and they want one then!

Only one serious viewer for the car, so price has dropped a couple of times. Zeon, you could buy mine and with two grand look at remapping and maybe wheels as well if that took your fancy,

Jerry
Old 31 May 2006, 12:43 PM
nakedjem
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
Sounds a good deal. Less than 13k for a 03 STi is worrying though.
It is a cheap price, but I do need to sell soon. That said if I had the time I wouldn't be taking any less than £14k. As for getting one at 6600 miles from a dealer, one year old, for £17,000 sounds a bit suss to me. No dealer I've seen had got anything priced like that. Where exactly is that for sale - and did anyone actually see the car?

Jerry

Quick Reply: Sell me the whole Impreza thing