Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2006, 08:05 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revolution exhaust quiet?

Is the Revolution exhaust system quiet.

Iv'e just added a de-cat downpipe to my wagon and with that combined
with the Ninja backbox it's too noisy now.

You could probally get away with it in a saloon, but with an open backed wagon no.

I know the Revolution system is 3" straight through so how can it be considered one of the quietest????

Rob
Old 30 May 2006, 10:49 PM
Houghton
Scooby Regular

My wagon, with Revolution system, was noise tested at SSO and again last Sunday at a sprint.
93.5 db @ 5K both times. So yes it is quiet. If you do track days, it'll prevent you being slung out for too much noise, or having to lift as you go past the noise meters.
HTH
Old 30 May 2006, 10:56 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Quiet is all relative. The revolution is about the quietest true straight through 3" exhaust you can get for a scoob, and quite a lot quieter than most aftermarket exhausts, and a very good "flow to noise ratio" However, compared to the OEM exhaust, or the standard exhaust on pretty much any car off the shelf it will be loud. The same applies to my APS exhaust - 3" straight through until the backbox where it drops to 2.5", with a sports cat and a big resonator, it is much quieter than most other full exhaust systems I've heard on a scoob - but it's still very throaty particularly when booting it, and most non enthusiasts tell me its a noisy exhaust. Even the PPP is noisy by the standards of most cars these days, and that's about as quiet as modified exhausts get, and is generally not even a full system (OK almost a full system on the STi PPP with sports cat).

One thing you could try is adding some dynamat to the relevant bits of the boot floor and spare wheel well, and maybe some appropriate sound deadening underlay under the boot carpet, which will tone down the way the noise penetrates into the cabin - it will reduce the volume inside the car, whatever exhaust you fit, whilst still roaring thoatilly when you have the windows open.

Another option is to get a custom "bung" made for the backbox (as I don't think there is an off the shelf item). Again, this will reduce the noise of the system you have at the moment
Old 30 May 2006, 11:00 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Houghton
My wagon, with Revolution system, was noise tested at SSO and again last Sunday at a sprint.
93.5 db @ 5K both times. So yes it is quiet. If you do track days, it'll prevent you being slung out for too much noise, or having to lift as you go past the noise meters.
HTH
To compare, measuring my APS system I got 90dB(A) at 5,000rpm, which is about comparable to Prodrive systems, I measured a standard WRX at only 78dB in the same test. Several of the Blitz / HKS systems are running at 100dB or more (I've hear of 108dB as the most extreme case), which is a **** of a lot louder than 93dB if you understand how the dB scale works.

Most of the measurements I quoted are using the american system of 20" straight behind the tail-pipe with the car at 5k in neutral. they drop by 1-2dB if you go to 1m @45º, which is a more common British test (and is used in the SVA, I believe)
Old 30 May 2006, 11:04 PM
Danny Boy
Scooby Regular

Location: All over the place, trying to stop putting the miles on!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The test at SSO is done at 0.5m at 45 degrees to the exhaust exit.
My revolution exhaust with H&S downpipe and gruppe-s Headers came out at 94 dbA which was 6db quiter than the original scoobysports 2.5 inch exhaust that i had on three weeks earlier.
Old 31 May 2006, 12:05 AM
Solmaster555
Scooby Newbie

Had Scoobysport, Ninja and now Revolution system on my MY00 classic. Revolution is by far the most quiet, but still gives a nice sound when you give it the beans! Reason I changed is that the other stuff got tedious on longer runs. Performance seems fine as it was rolling roaded at 315/300 a couple of months ago. (VF23 Turbo and a bit of Andy Forrest magic!!). Only downside is the tailpipe looks a bit small and weedy compared to some others, but a price worth paying I reckon. Go get one mate!
Old 31 May 2006, 11:14 AM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the feedback guys

Rob

Trending Topics

Old 31 May 2006, 12:44 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobfan
Is the Revolution exhaust system quiet.

Iv'e just added a de-cat downpipe to my wagon and with that combined
with the Ninja backbox it's too noisy now.

You could probally get away with it in a saloon, but with an open backed wagon no.

I know the Revolution system is 3" straight through so how can it be considered one of the quietest????

Rob
I'm in the same boat as you. Full afterburner decat with Ninja backbox. I felt it was too loud for everyday driving, but on full boost it was worth the compromise. But my wife was a bit embarrassed when driving it - and she uses it the most.

So the cheapest option, i contacted Hayward&Scott and got an exhaust bung made for £35. I've only ordered today, so can't comment, but should work. Then i can have it loud and the wifey a bit more subdued.