Newbie soon to be Scooby owner!

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2006, 10:22 PM
PeteSTI
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie soon to be Scooby owner!

Hi All,

I supose ive come over from the Cliosport Forums!

Basically i have owned a 172 for the last 20months and have started to get Turbo fever again!! So i have decided to finally get a scooby that i have allways wanted - i am soon to turn 24 so insurance had dropped since i tried a couple of years ago and now is reasonable.

I am looking fr 2004 on STI. A couple of questions what are the tell tale signs of an EU import to a uk? as i have seen a few imports cheaper?

i cannot wait to get this car i have luckily had a test drive of one and was VERY impressed - all goes wel my clio is off to its new home early next week and i will then start the proper hunt for a Black or Crystal Grey STI.

Any tips on what to check would be great, i know a fair bit about cars but obviously i am new to the Subaru Scene - also be looking to make some ESSEX meets.

Pete
Old 26 May 2006, 11:17 PM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Location: Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water.

Originally Posted by PeteSTI
Hi All,

I supose ive come over from the Cliosport Forums!

Basically i have owned a 172 for the last 20months and have started to get Turbo fever again!! So i have decided to finally get a scooby that i have allways wanted - i am soon to turn 24 so insurance had dropped since i tried a couple of years ago and now is reasonable.

I am looking fr 2004 on STI. A couple of questions what are the tell tale signs of an EU import to a uk? as i have seen a few imports cheaper?

i cannot wait to get this car i have luckily had a test drive of one and was VERY impressed - all goes wel my clio is off to its new home early next week and i will then start the proper hunt for a Black or Crystal Grey STI.
Any tips on what to check would be great, i know a fair bit about cars but obviously i am new to the Subaru Scene - also be looking to make some ESSEX meets.

Pete
hi mate
any tips for you yes
deep pockets mate

Last edited by bootsy; 26 May 2006 at 11:19 PM.
Old 26 May 2006, 11:22 PM
PeteSTI
Scooby Newbie

LOL i am trying not to think about that!! just the smile itll put on my face!!
Old 27 May 2006, 12:22 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have a look round for insurance before you even contemplate getting an STi, most companies wont touch anyone under 30 on one let alone under 25
As for uk/euro import differences, the uk car should have its service book in english and also if you take the registration to a subaru dealer they will be able to tell you if the car is a uk car or not.

Tony
Old 27 May 2006, 01:09 AM
AVI-8
Scooby Regular

Oh here we go again.

A Euro import is the same car, costs the same to insure and can be maintained at a Subaru garage, so theres no reason not to buy one.

But if you want a UK car only then the way to tell is by looking at the service book, it will be written in .........English
Old 27 May 2006, 01:10 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy a classic sti, if your new age is not ppp'd you will not be that much quicker than your clio
Old 27 May 2006, 01:22 AM
AVI-8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
Buy a classic sti, if your new age is not ppp'd you will not be that much quicker than your clio
I'll second that and add that I recently had one of those little clio thingys

not too far off my rear bumper through 2,3 & 4 gear, didnt pull more than 4 car lengths away, not sure what engine it had (2 exhausts).

Power to weight ratio I guess
Old 27 May 2006, 01:23 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
You're name preceeds you

I fondly remember the guy in the 420bhp classic who tried keeping up with my 03 WRX in the Yorkshire Dales recently There's more to a fast car than a few kilo's less weight and poor refinement

UK cars will have a "Type UK" badge on the bootlid as well as it printed on the intercooler. They may have a different alarm to the UK standard Sigma M30 system (keypad in the coin flap by your right knee) and different locking nuts (McGuard). As said earlier, there really isn't much reasoning for not buying an EU. When I had a brief look last year there were plenty of nearly new UK 05's going for £21-23k, but I almost bought an EU with just 3.6k on the clock for £18.5k. That leaves a lot of cash in the pocket for sorting the handling and some decent power mods.

BTW, it's worth stretching the budget to an 05 to get the benefit of the revised Spec C geometry and DCCD-A (std on UK, opt on EU). If you do buy UK, then make sure it's been PPP'd.
Old 27 May 2006, 01:29 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoboy
You're name preceeds you

I fondly remember the guy in the 420bhp classic who tried keeping up with my 03 WRX in the Yorkshire Dales recently There's more to a fast car than a few kilo's less weight and poor refinement

UK cars will have a "Type UK" badge on the bootlid as well as it printed on the intercooler. They may have a different alarm to the UK standard Sigma M30 system (keypad in the coin flap by your right knee) and different locking nuts (McGuard). As said earlier, there really isn't much reasoning for not buying an EU. When I had a brief look last year there were plenty of nearly new UK 05's going for £21-23k, but I almost bought an EU with just 3.6k on the clock for £18.5k. That leaves a lot of cash in the pocket for sorting the handling and some decent power mods.

BTW, it's worth stretching the budget to an 05 to get the benefit of the revised Spec C geometry and DCCD-A (std on UK, opt on EU). If you do buy UK, then make sure it's been PPP'd.
Im to polite to race other subarus