ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Global Warming and PPP - Decision

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2006, 10:01 PM
Zip Boing Arial Whoop
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Global Warming and PPP - Decision

Due to the effects of exhaust gases on global warming I have decided to re-install the cat in my WRX PPP.

I don't want to lose the better noise (or looks of the backbox) so I have modified my Prodrive exhaust to re-fit the cat in the middle.

My Question is whether this will have an effect on the mapping or cause potental problems with the car. I don't mind losing a few BHP in order to do my bit for the enviroment.
Old 26 May 2006, 10:03 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

lol, you've got a wrx and you're worried about the environment?

Joke post...
Old 26 May 2006, 10:22 PM
Zip Boing Arial Whoop
Scooby Regular

Why is it a joke post.

Yes I have a WRX and a 6 bedroomed house for 2 adults and my daughter, a Merc, 4 vans and many other things that mean I am not exactly enviromentally friendly. But I have realised its the little things that count and this is just one of the little contributions I intend to make.

How will putting the cat back in effect my Warrantee?
Old 26 May 2006, 10:24 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ru'
lol, you've got a wrx and you're worried about the environment?

Joke post...
Shouldn't we all be worried about the environment
Old 26 May 2006, 10:26 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

If your WRX hasn't been modified from PPP spec it still has 2 cats anyway unless it's an 06MY in which case it still meets the same standards as every other new car.

Mike
Old 26 May 2006, 10:29 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Zip Boing Arial Whoop

I don't want to lose the better noise (or looks of the backbox) so I have modified my Prodrive exhaust to re-fit the cat in the middle.
How have you modified it... the centre decat section is a straight swap. Sounds like a **** take as you obviously have no idea if you say it needed 'modifying'.

Tony.
Old 26 May 2006, 10:32 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Human transportation accounts for 0.6% of greenhouse gas emmisions, and that's all human transportation, cars, bikes, trucks, buses, boats, planes, the lot. A single cow emits the same amount of methane each day as an average mileage Land Rover Discovery, but as methane is 27x more destructive as a greenhouse gas shouldn't we be taxing milk and beef higher than petrol McDonalds have cleared vast tracts of rainforest in the South American sub-continent to graze their vast global herds, thus both reducing the Earths natural ability to remove CO2, and contributing to methane production. Enjoy the Scoob, cut out the burgers A Porsche 911 Turbo if driven from London to Blackpool and back creates roughly the same amount of CO2 as 7 joggers jogging 10 miles Don't believe the spin, it's only there to justify policy
Old 26 May 2006, 10:38 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Human transportation accounts for 0.6% of greenhouse gas emmisions, and that's all human transportation, cars, bikes, trucks, buses, boats, planes, the lot. A single cow emits the same amount of methane each day as an average mileage Land Rover Discovery, but as methane is 27x more destructive as a greenhouse gas shouldn't we be taxing milk and beef higher than petrol McDonalds have cleared vast tracts of rainforest in the South American sub-continent to graze their vast global herds, thus both reducing the Earths natural ability to remove CO2, and contributing to methane production. Enjoy the Scoob, cut out the burgers A Porsche 911 Turbo if driven from London to Blackpool and back creates roughly the same amount of CO2 as 7 joggers jogging 10 miles Don't believe the spin, it's only there to justify policy
That's an interesting perspective, however I feel the Jeremy Clarkson version of global warming has been utterly disproved. If George Bush is getting worried about it then I think we all should
Old 26 May 2006, 10:41 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Do you not think that George Bush could use it as an excuse for taxation then ?
Old 26 May 2006, 10:46 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Do you not think that George Bush could use it as an excuse for taxation then ?
Possibly, but I expect he's more likely to be concerned about the impact on the family oil business, don't forget taxation on fuel in the US is very low. All of which makes me believe that if he's now talking about the environment then it must be serious
Old 26 May 2006, 10:52 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

BTW you're not seriously suggesting that global warming is being caused by cows and joggers are you?
Old 26 May 2006, 11:06 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

In response to the original post, I doubt it'd do much harm. Get a re-map if you're really bothered, or plant some trees or something...
Old 26 May 2006, 11:11 PM
subarujimmy
Scooby Regular

THATS-IT!

The next time I see a jogging cow-its going to get it!!!
Old 26 May 2006, 11:27 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I was out walking around Ingleton Falls last week, and was looking at some of the wonderful rock formations up there. Sedimentary rock formations. 1000ft above sea level. This got me thinking as to exactly how much influence man actually has on things. Millions of tonnes of rock which used to be at the bottom of the ocean, now high up in the middle of a country. Geologists tell us that the highest incidence of lead pollution in the atmosphere was some-time 'roundabout the time of Christ. Solar studies have told us that the Sun is heating up, and there's nothing, not a bloody thing we can do about it. For millions of years we have been the perfect distance from it, but as it heats up, so do we. We are being left behind the so-called "comfort zone". There is nothing man can do about that either. Stories of massive carbon-sinks on the exits of major rivers such as the Amazon that could plunge us into the next ice-age with a single nearby underwater earthquake. And speaking of earthquakes, what if Yosemite erupts. Earthquakes have historically been the primary cause for massive climate shifts on the planet. And they have nothing to do with man. The ice-caps have melted before, and the ice has also been known to stretch to the equator from the Northern hemispere before, with no input from man. I am not however a complete luddite. The population of the planet is now reaching plague proportions, and I can see a time when even our intellect will struggle to find ways for the planet to support us. Herein lies the problem. there's too feckin many of us. When a politician admits that and is prepared to put in place policy to systematically reduce the population then I may listen to them, but whilst they continuously babble about cars being the source of the entire problem I'll classify them as idiots and ignore them as such.

I do my bit. I have energy-saving bulbs in a well insulated house with efficient heating. I don't waste much (mainly 'cos I'm a tight assed Yorkshireman). I buy fresh local produce to avoid unnecessary transportation costs and wasteful packaging. Hell, me and the missuse even go to the toilet together to limit to a single flush. My next door neighbour however spends every dry evening of the week dousing her garden with her pressure-washer for upwards of an hour, for the simple reason that she says her garden looks prettier when it's wet. And she is a Labour councillors wive I limit my mileage, not primarily for environmental reasons, but because fuel costs so bloody much in rip-off Britain. Just last week my partner needed to go to Ikea, I needed to call into Leeds and we were planning to go to the cinema. All 3 jobs could have been done independently, but after her protests at delaying her shopping trip, all three were combined into a single outing of limited mileage. I even got into trouble once at work for switching off the unused monitors over night
Old 26 May 2006, 11:42 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

I was out walking around Ingleton Falls last week, and was looking at some of the wonderful rock formations up there. Sedimentary rock formations. 1000ft above sea level. This got me thinking as to exactly how much influence man actually has on things. Millions of tonnes of rock which used to be at the bottom of the ocean, now high up in the middle of a country. Geologists tell us that the highest incidence of lead pollution in the atmosphere was some-time 'roundabout the time of Christ. Solar studies have told us that the Sun is heating up, and there's nothing, not a bloody thing we can do about it. For millions of years we have been the perfect distance from it, but as it heats up, so do we. We are being left behind the so-called "comfort zone". There is nothing man can do about that either. Stories of massive carbon-sinks on the exits of major rivers such as the Amazon that could plunge us into the next ice-age with a single nearby underwater earthquake. And speaking of earthquakes, what if Yosemite erupts. Earthquakes have historically been the primary cause for massive climate shifts on the planet. And they have nothing to do with man. The ice-caps have melted before, and the ice has also been known to stretch to the equator from the Northern hemispere before, with no input from man. I am not however a complete luddite. The population of the planet is now reaching plague proportions, and I can see a time when even our intellect will struggle to find ways for the planet to support us. Herein lies the problem. there's too feckin many of us. When a politician admits that and is prepared to put in place policy to systematically reduce the population then I may listen to them, but whilst they continuously babble about cars being the source of the entire problem I'll classify them as idiots and ignore them as such.

I do my bit. I have energy-saving bulbs in a well insulated house with efficient heating. I don't waste much (mainly 'cos I'm a tight assed Yorkshireman). I buy fresh local produce to avoid unnecessary transportation costs and wasteful packaging. Hell, me and the missuse even go to the toilet together to limit to a single flush. My next door neighbour however spends every dry evening of the week dousing her garden with her pressure-washer for upwards of an hour, for the simple reason that she says her garden looks prettier when it's wet. And she is a Labour councillors wive I limit my mileage, not primarily for environmental reasons, but because fuel costs so bloody much in rip-off Britain. Just last week my partner needed to go to Ikea, I needed to call into Leeds and we were planning to go to the cinema. All 3 jobs could have been done independently, but after her protests at delaying her shopping trip, all three were combined into a single outing of limited mileage. I even got into trouble once at work for switching off the unused monitors over night
Nice post, good to hear you're doing your bit.

The facts however are unmistakable, all the modelling work that has been done shows that without doubt global warming is being caused by human activity, thats not me saying that, it's just a fact.
Old 26 May 2006, 11:52 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Exactly, corradoboy. We're not endangering the planet. Even if we completely nuked it, it would recover.

What we need to be concerned about is the death of our own species due to our activities.
Old 26 May 2006, 11:53 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Due to the effects of exhaust gases on global warming I have decided to re-install the cat in my WRX PPP.

My Question is whether this will have an effect on the mapping or cause potental problems with the car. I don't mind losing a few BHP in order to do my bit for the enviroment.
Re-installing the CAT will make no difference to the emission of greenhouse gases from your car. Well, that's not strictly true - it will increase them. Catalytic convertors catalyse the reaction between nitrogen oxides and carbon monoxide to form water and CO2, which is the main greenhouse culprit. Given that CO2 is many times more efficient as a greenhouse gas than nitrogen oxides or carbon monoxide, refitting the cat will not help in any way whatsoever
Old 26 May 2006, 11:59 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Blanket legalisation on firemans, and call open season on immigrants and criminals. Cremate their bodies in furnaces that also heat our schools and hospitals.
Old 27 May 2006, 12:02 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Blanket legalisation on firemans, and call open season on immigrants and criminals. Cremate their bodies in furnaces that also heat our schools and hospitals.
Please tell me your joking
Old 27 May 2006, 12:04 AM
Zip Boing Arial Whoop
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MikeWood
If your WRX hasn't been modified from PPP spec it still has 2 cats anyway unless it's an 06MY in which case it still meets the same standards as every other new car.

Mike
Wow my first response from Mike Wood. Uneducated I propably am, but seeing as I have an exhaust with a Cat in it in the loft I just thought it must be there for a reason.

Corradoboy makes a lot of sense.. Its the little things that add up in life. Stop 1 cow farting -makes not difference - fit 1 exta cat to (quote me on this Mike, I'm Guessing on the No. of PPP's) 10000 PPP imprezas, could just make a small difference.
Old 27 May 2006, 12:06 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I can accept that man has an influence on global warming, probably a big one, but the inexorable rise in the temperature of the Sun cannot be ignored. This I believe is the primary reason. However, if we want to minimise the effect of human input we should look much further than the humble car, Hell, some manufacturers have made claims that the fumes coming out of some modern exhausts is actually cleaner than the air which was induced. Perhaps we could introduce a worldwide implementation of taxation on imports and exports to limit the amount of international trade. How many thousands, ney millions of gallons of heavy diesel fuel oil are burnt each year by large ships transporting goods around the globe that could quite easily be produced locally ? Ever bought a bottle of Evian, think how it got here from France, and was it worth it when there was a perfectly good alternative in the tap in the kitchen ? China is now the largest polluter on the planet, but their cheap DVD players are such good value ! India are catching them up fast, and they'll both be well ahead of the US before long. The driving force behind their pollution.....a billion people in each of them. Cars are really a small problem.
Old 27 May 2006, 12:07 AM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Nice post, good to hear you're doing your bit.

The facts however are unmistakable, all the modelling work that has been done shows that without doubt global warming is being caused by human activity, thats not me saying that, it's just a fact.
It is far from being a fact. The output of what climate scientists call story lines are far from being facts, they are merely models run on computers. Some of them demonstrate human forcing, some don't.

There are lots of references from peer reviewed journals in my previous posts on the topic should you care to read up on it. However, global climate change is not caused by man in much the same way as man didn't cause the last ice age to suddenly melt.

Much as I'd love to have control of the climate the unfortunate truth is that I have no control over it at all.
Old 27 May 2006, 12:07 AM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A Porsche 911 Turbo if driven from London to Blackpool and back creates roughly the same amount of CO2 as 7 joggers jogging 10 miles Don't believe the spin, it's only there to justify policy
Hmmm - not quite right jogging uses approx 1kcal per km per kilo of body weight. 7 joggers weighing 70kgs each (11st) jogging 16kms will burn 7 x 16 x70kcals = 7840kcals = just under 33 million joules of energy required.

A Porsche 911 cruising from London to Blackpool and back (approx 400 miles at 25 miles per gallon - generous!) will use 16 gallons of petrol = approx 76 litres. Now since petrol when burnt produces 32 milion joules per litre, the energy requirement of the trip is 2432 million joules - ie 74 times greater than the joggers, which (without going into the chemistry) will produce well over 74 times the CO2.

Having said that, driving to Blackpool and back in a 911 is probably more fun
Old 27 May 2006, 12:12 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

I can accept that man has an influence on global warming, probably a big one, but the inexorable rise in the temperature of the Sun cannot be ignored. This I believe is the primary reason. However, if we want to minimise the effect of human input we should look much further than the humble car, Hell, some manufacturers have made claims that the fumes coming out of some modern exhausts is actually cleaner than the air which was induced. Perhaps we could introduce a worldwide implementation of taxation on imports and exports to limit the amount of international trade. How many thousands, ney millions of gallons of heavy diesel fuel oil are burnt each year by large ships transporting goods around the globe that could quite easily be produced locally ? Ever bought a bottle of Evian, think how it got here from France, and was it worth it when there was a perfectly good alternative in the tap in the kitchen ? China is now the largest polluter on the planet, but their cheap DVD players are such good value ! India are catching them up fast, and they'll both be well ahead of the US before long. The driving force behind their pollution.....a billion people in each of them. Cars are really a small problem.
I agree, it can't all be blamed on the car.
Old 27 May 2006, 12:14 AM
AVI-8
Scooby Regular

All of this global warming crap is hype invented by environmentalists and taken up by governments none more so than the complete bunch of incompetent w@nkers that we have running the country just now, they love it because they can use it to increase taxes.

We have only a fraction of CO2 in the atmosphere compared to what there was millions of years ago long before the internal combustion engine was invented and the planet managed to recover from it then without armageddon so dont listen to the politically correct sh1te that you see on the telly.

Besides one flight from London to Glasgow in an average sized airliner puts out more CO2 than your car in 1 year
Old 27 May 2006, 12:16 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Right, so now we've cleared this up....Zippy, don't bother with the cat
Old 27 May 2006, 12:18 AM
160mph flat out
Scooby Regular

Who gives a flying **** about ice caps and the south of England anyway
Old 27 May 2006, 12:21 AM
Ben v7
Scooby Regular

Why don't you take one less holiday every decade - those jplanes pump out a whole ton of harmful gases right up in the upper atmosphere which is worst. I've got no idea why it's on your concience when you consider that what your doing with this extra cat in the mid pipe is such a tiny fraction of your personal contribution to global warming.

You should see how much vehicles are pumping out in other non-western countries - I am sure some of the trucks and cars in India and China are doing more damage on their own than 10 fully decatted WRX's, and there are millions of them!

Just seems ridcolous to me when the UK isn't exactly a major contributor and your car is only a tiny fraction of what you contribute anyway indirectly.

It's all just propaganda designed by the government to make the middle classes feel guilty (brainwashing) about the car in general so they can levely huge tax's for supposedly environmental reasons... and it complements the congestion charging stealth taxation strategy. You've got to see through this sh1te.

Also... I wouldn't go putting cat's back in a car that has been mapped - the ECU is still going to try and meet the aggressive timing and boost targets.
Old 27 May 2006, 12:23 AM
Ben v7
Scooby Regular

It's good to see so many see through this scam - just realised my post is very similar to some above.
Old 27 May 2006, 12:27 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AVI-8
All of this global warming crap is hype invented by environmentalists and taken up by governments none more so than the complete bunch of incompetent w@nkers that we have running the country just now, they love it because they can use it to increase taxes.

We have only a fraction of CO2 in the atmosphere compared to what there was millions of years ago long before the internal combustion engine was invented and the planet managed to recover from it then without armageddon so dont listen to the politically correct sh1te that you see on the telly.

Besides one flight from London to Glasgow in an average sized airliner puts out more CO2 than your car in 1 year
BTW I think this is a really interesting debate

I take your point about air travel, however the rest of your post I fear is just dillusional.

I know that the earth has been hotter than it is now, and I know it been colder before, but these changes happened over thousands of years, the recent increase in global temperature has happened over the last 30 years. The modelling work that has been done has proved that there is an absolute correlation between CO2 output and these temperature changes, so you have to disbelieve maths and physics not to accept that global warming and it's causes are real and man made.
And it's been the politicians that have been covering up or playing down the effects of global warming for years now, because of the likely implications, so your point about the politicians I believe is misguided.

But as I said it good debate, and I'm certainly not pretending to be some sort of saint, I pollute as much as most (which is too much).

Quick Reply: Global Warming and PPP - Decision