Sponsored by:

new member - help please

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2006, 08:35 PM
Baizewood
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new member - help please

Hello guys and girls – this is my first post to the forum – I’m looking forward to checking out the posts and seeing what goes on here

As a former lancia delta integrale owner I have decided to get something a little more practical, reliable and safe as I am now a father! But I wanted something which was still entertaining to drive so I have set my sights on a 2001/2002 bug eye sportwagon !!!

I know very little about the nuances of buying and running these cars and am hoping this forum will provide some answers or point me in the right direction –

I am sure the answers to my questions are buried in here somewhere but I’ll ask anyway as I cant wait to get started and am looking at potential cars over the next few weeks – so any guidance would be gratefully received!

Is there anything specific I need to look out for on these types of cars?

I am probably looking at a 60-70k+ mileage – is there a big service around this time I should be looking out for? Is this around the time any major things start to die (e.g. turbos!)

How do I check the provenance of the car – e.g. if I am buying a ‘UK spec’ how can I actually check this is the case before handing over my cash? – is there some sort of database / register to confirm??

How easy is it to upgrade power / chip these cars and is it safe? My integrale could be safely chipped from 220 to 260+ bhp with minimal changes and little risk of overstressing the engine - I am hoping that this will be possible for the impreza!?

The introduction opf the recent model should push the prices of the bug eyes down furthr – will this effect have taken place yet or should I leave it another month or so??

How much should I be looking to pay for a 2001 / 2002 uk spec bug eye wrx with 60-70k miles (perhaps not the best place to ask on a subaru forum as some of you may have overinflated opinions as to the values of your cars!! But any realistic estimates gratefully received

Thanks again!
Old 23 May 2006, 08:40 PM
nathanb
Scooby Regular

I'd say 8-10k. 60-70k should still be a good cond engine. The 50k service is the cam belt change so after that you shouldnt pay too much. Just make sure you buy one with a good service history and you'll be fine. The only regular cost will be fuel!! Thirsty little buggers!!

Welcome to scoobynet!
Old 23 May 2006, 08:45 PM
Baizewood
Scooby Newbie

cheers

what is the mpg for these cars? in fact is there a spec sheet for all the models? - i couldnt find this sort of info on the subaru.co.uk website and wondered if there was a good site i could check out for this type of stuff
Old 23 May 2006, 08:48 PM
nathanb
Scooby Regular

Not to sure on spec mate. Depends how you drive mate. Some ppl on here have claimed to have had 340 miles out of a tank but driven hard you're looking at 180 - 200 a tank. Less than 20mpg!!!
Old 24 May 2006, 12:32 AM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by nathanb
Not to sure on spec mate. Depends how you drive mate. Some ppl on here have claimed to have had 340 miles out of a tank but driven hard you're looking at 180 - 200 a tank. Less than 20mpg!!!
Around town, not driven hard I get around 200 on a MY00 with 273bhp. Obviously depends on your driving environment, use of right welly etc.

To get to 270ish bhp is fairly cheap. Full de-cat, panel filter and a Ecutek Tek3 remap would get you your 270bhp.

About a grand depending on makes etc.
Old 30 May 2006, 09:59 AM
Baizewood
Scooby Newbie

doesn anyone know the best way to check whether a car is uk spec or imported?

would this be on the vehicle registration document? or would you need to contact subaru?