Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Scooby, 1st time on forum, first question..!

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2006, 10:34 PM
neoglow
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Scooby, 1st time on forum, first question..!

Hey guys and gals,

Im new to this forum, yes yes, hello...
>Waves
>Shakes hands
>Smiles...

So, with the greets out the way, I've got an '01 WRX Scoob, completely bog standard. Now I previously had a Civic 1.4 and the step up - or leap up - in performance between the two blew me away. But as ever the little voice in my head is whispering, get an Induction kit, get an Exhaust, get a remapped ECU, top up with Super Unleaded etc etc etc.....

BUT! My question really is, is it worth modding or bodging - whichever way you look at it - and do these mods "REALLY" work???

For instance, Induction Kits, they bring more air into the engine but looking under my standard Scoobs hood there is a huge black 'intake' tube on the left with an opening the size of my arm right at the front of the car. Surely that is better than any induction kit. Or if there is a difference, it is going to be so small is it really worth it???

Another one, BOV's, ok they may sound good - or some people think it makes your Scoob sound like a bus - but I've heard they can mess up your Air Sensor, make the engine run rich and 'can' knacker your cat with unburnt fuel. Again, is it worth all that just to get the blow off noise???

Dont get me wrong I'm not digging at modding, I completely modded out my Civic but now I do actually have a performace car I dont want to bodge it, you know?

Anyway, any greets, info or advice will be much appreciated.

Nice to meet you all.

Mark.
Old 20 May 2006, 10:38 PM
94impreza
Scooby Regular

If the performance blows you away at the moment m8 then leave it as it is. If after a while you start to get a bit bored then its well worth investing a few £££ in yours. This is the best place for advice so when it gets to that point make sure you ask on here.
Induction kits and BOV's won't actually improve your BHP no matter what you hear. I'd go for a full decat pipe to start off with.

Last edited by 94impreza; 20 May 2006 at 10:41 PM.
Old 20 May 2006, 10:40 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

you can add exhuast mods and a panel filter plus a remap when you are bored with the power of your car and it will make it feel exactly like what is was when you swapped for your old car do get to hooked up with adding mods as if you get the bug its ££££££££££££££££
Old 20 May 2006, 10:51 PM
BedHog
Scooby Regular

Decat (or sports cat), decent panel filter and a remap makes a lot of difference.

I had my 02 WRX Import done and it was well worth it.

Will cost about £900 - £1000 though (more for sports cat) - but look out for good prices in the group buy section
Old 20 May 2006, 11:45 PM
willsy369
Scooby Regular

Well, first I would go for a decent back box, and de cat. then i would invest in a decent panel filter as induction kits on a scooby is not the best thing. then I would lower it by 25-30mm stick some 18" wheels on, then serious gauges to tell you what is going on! with the BOV, its up to you really, you wont gain anything, but if you like the sound and want people to know you have at urbo lump then do it, i have a baileys DV12 and it sound great! plus re map at some point thats when you will actually notice the above mods

willsy
Old 20 May 2006, 11:59 PM
anthscooby01
Scooby Regular

Remap and part decat alone will give u enough to worry STI's. My WRX MY01 felt really quick when I first bought it but u soon get used to the power and want more. For less than £1000 u can seriously up the ante mate!