Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hope you don't mind me posting on your board?

Search this Thread

Old 28 October 2001, 07:15 PM
BeanS14
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hello, I'm afraid I don't own an Impreza, I actually own a 1995 Nissan 200sx S14.

Anyway, I got caught speeding recently on a Motorway in the south doing 108mph.

Have any of you guys been done for the same speed, have you got any information, experiences or advice you could share with me? (apart from what an idiot)

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I'm a fan of all Jap cars, Nissan, Subaru, Toyota etc...
Old 28 October 2001, 07:33 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

There info worth reading on here but I am not a lawyer or copper so I dont know how accurate the info is etc

http://www.speed-trap.co.uk/

hope this helps

chris

[Edited by chrisp - 10/28/2001 7:38:18 PM]
Old 28 October 2001, 07:42 PM
Spudgun GTR
Scooby Regular

Smile

welcome aboard bean!
dont worry about not owning a scooby, this bbs even has a cossie section now
i have an r33 gtr, but have owned a scooby in the past. why stay? coz this bbs is by far the best one
Old 28 October 2001, 07:56 PM
BeanS14
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Thanks for the welcome Spudgun.

The R33 is an excellent car, I've had a ride in one, wasn't allowed to drive it though

Anyone got done for 108mph in a 70mph speed limit? What points/fine/bad did you get?

P.S. I've got a totally clean license (for the moment), first offence.
Old 28 October 2001, 08:44 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Question

How'd you get caught? VASCAR?
Old 28 October 2001, 09:16 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Arrow

A guy posted on the board a few days ago that he was clocked at 107mph in a 70 limit and after going to court I think it was £250 fine and 6 points he got, no ban.
Old 29 October 2001, 02:07 PM
BeanS14
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

Got caught by a hand held laser gun device. Not sure the make or model but it had a digital readout on the back.

The copper proudly showed me the speed he clocked me at, bar steward!!!

I'm getting a Solicitor.

Thank you to the person who posted a link about speeding traps and solicitor information.

Trending Topics

Old 29 October 2001, 02:23 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine got done at 110 mph on the M62 - same VASCAR system etc from the sounds of it. He had 3 points already and got a 5 week ban and £500 fine. Look innocent, don't waste money on a lawyer seems to be the experience of a number of folks I know - read the advice on the internet and just be sensible and look suitably admonished.

Helpfully same friend has just had a second ban - 8 weeks and £800 for doing 70 in a 40. I suspect he may not be opting out of the company car scheme for a while - that'll teach him to drive a hairdressers' TT!

Gordo
Old 29 October 2001, 03:03 PM
seejay555
Scooby Regular

Beans,
I got clocked doing 106 in a 70 zone Nov'99. Ended up with £500 fine and 6 points - no ban. My guess is that if it's your first "serious" speeding offence you will be unlucky to get a ban.
Old 29 October 2001, 03:05 PM
Steve3drRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Slightly off subject, but what mods have u, if any, done to your S14 mate? My friends got one with 18's, a full mongoose exhaust, and a huuuuge ramair induction kit (specially made), and is always on lookout for contacts, ideas, bits, etc.

Good luck with the speeding. god only knows how ive got a clean licence- esp when a year or so ago i was racin a (supposedly 550bhp)300zx in my 3dr cossie down the M5 nr worcester at 1am, and we went past a police range rover while doing over a ton, and two police t5s was going down the other carrigeway when we was well over 150... Duno if the range rover reported it and the T5's were sent out to give chase, but they wudve had no chance, and we never got caught....

Speeding eh? i blame the parents..........
Old 29 October 2001, 03:07 PM
BeanS14
Scooby Newbie

It's interesting what you say about not wasting your money on a Solicitor. A friend of mine got done for 107mph and when he turned up at the court he got thrown out and told to come back when he has a Solicitor.

I'm not totally decided about getting a Solicitor yet, I'm quite happy to plead my own case, I look fairly respectable (for a Nissan driver ), I don't have any tattoos etc...

I only got done last week, so I'll just wait and see, do a bit of research.
Old 29 October 2001, 03:35 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Get a solicitor, you'll not get penalised for having one and he'll plead your case a whole lot better than you ever could plus the possiblity of some procedural error he'll spot. He who represents himself in court, has a fool for a client.

Regards
Cammy
Old 29 October 2001, 04:01 PM
BeanS14
Scooby Newbie

I've only started modifying the car recently, infact since finding the website www.nissan200sx.co.uk. (I'm sure they won't mind me mentioning it)

I have a K&N Induction Kit and Blitz CAT back Zorst. So far

I had the car RR'd yesterday and it was putting out 224.5bhp at the flywheel, not bad considering they're 198bhp as standard. (Not a great difference to a standard scooby).
Old 29 October 2001, 04:02 PM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Hi Bean, yep all are welcome here (I'm the token Skoda driver!). Just over 3 years ago I got stopped on the M40 for 101, just like you caught by laser. 3 months later got the summons. Pleaded guilty, 6 points, £250 fine and told if I got another 6 points in the next 3 years I would loose my licence for min of 1 year, which in their words was a "deterent to keep me on the straight and narrow for the next 3 years".
In my mitigation I used the fact that it was 5:30 in the morning and that there was noithing around to judge my speed against, this last bit was corroberated by plod stating the distance that he had lasered me from as 1048m (can't have been any background clutter) and that modern cars are so quiet and powerful these days that my speed must have just crept up. Also my car is my livelihood ( i do over 30k per year), I'm the only earner in the family, dependent kids etc.
Also, look suitably repentant and scared (ie never been in any form of trouble m'lud) and if you don't get banned, DO NOT smile 'till after the clerk has repeated the sentence, as until he has they can (and do) change their minds if they thing you've had them! My cousin got caught on this, got a 10 day ban, smiled and they changed it to a 6 month one.
On solicitors, 90% of those in front of me got a ban of some description, even with solicitors, 75% of those without got the 6 point option.
Sorry for the length, hope it helps, and good luck.
Old 29 October 2001, 04:27 PM
Crispin
Scooby Regular

If all else fails (AND ONLY IF) (pleading, bribery e.t.c) - ask the copper with the gun if he has his calibration certificate for the gun...(has to be done every shif) I have had some of my mates do this when they knew they were definitely going to get booked, and in all cases the copper went absolutely ballistic! because he/they didn't have one, and thus didn't have a leg to stand on.....

Disclaimer...

The contents of this post has got nowt to do wi' me!
Old 29 October 2001, 06:13 PM
GreenMachine
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Beans

Check out a recent article on the MCN website: www.motorcyclenews.com/news/

All about the actual guidelines that should be followed when using radar & lasers etc.

Might help!
Old 29 October 2001, 07:22 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

BeanS14,

Welcome to Scoobynet.

I got caught last year doing 98 in a 60 - i.e. 38 mph over the limit, the same as you. I got 6 points and a £555 but no ban

Its definitely worth getting a Solicitor. If you have legal cover with your insurance this may cover the Solicitors cost. I was lucky and they paid all but the VAT element of the Solicitors bill. If you need a car for your job, get a letter from your employers which should help.

Good Luck,

Ian.
Old 30 October 2001, 08:41 AM
BeanS14
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Thank you Ian E, I hadn't considered using my Legal cover to pay for Solicitors Fees.

What will the attitude of my Insurance company be when I tell them the outcome of my speeding conviction. Would they cancel my policy and make me take out a new one? Hope not!!!.
Old 08 February 2002, 02:24 PM
BeanS14
Scooby Newbie

Exclamation

Haven't been on the Scooby board in quite a while.

Well, it's now been three months and I'm still waiting for a summons. It'll probably be at home waiting for me now I've said that!

In the meantime have I been saving all money for the impending fine and taxi costs? Have I bollocks!!! I've been spending money on tuning bits of course

Well I never said I had any common sense
Old 08 February 2002, 04:37 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

beanS14 - Euro 550 & Target 850......& very good set of eyes also - get these before you get the mods (I presume you already have the last requirement )

shunty
Old 08 February 2002, 05:57 PM
BeanS14
Scooby Newbie

Smile

It's a bit late now but thanks for recommending some speed trap detectors. From what I've read none of them are foolproof.

I've slowed down a lot since the speeding incident.

I've already bought the tuning bits.

The last eyetest I had said my eyes were perfect.