My Search For an STI 7

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2006, 01:00 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question My Search For an STI 7

Hello all...

Just having sold my Porsche, i am now searching for an STI. The STI 8 which i really like is little out of my budget, and i have to settle for an STI 7. The front is little anoyying, however i think i can live with it and i have seen some aroudn with different lights etc that make it look nice to some extent..though i am sure allot of people have different oppinions on that.

So to my understanding the
  • STI 7 - Had round lights (not sure what the exact word is that the shape refers to.
  • STI 8 - 2003 onwards
The color i like is Blue, so that is what i am searching for.

Budget is £10K / £11K max.

I am going to either get the TSL 333 or the prodrive conversion done however this is at a later date.

Questions:
  1. What is the BHP and Torque figures of the standard STI 7?
  2. Is this the same for all the STI 7 range or was the power figures changed between 2000 and 2002?
  3. Were any changes made to the exterior, interior or engine wise during this shape.
  4. What mileage should the cambelt be changed? (so i can check against the service as this would effect the cost of the price.
  5. Should i pay less for an import? if yes would i likely to loose more when it comes to selling.
Thanks for any replies....without doubt i will be posting moe as i do more research...

--Sam
Old 12 May 2006, 01:12 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JDM 01/02, UK 02 are known as Bugeye
JDM 03-05, UK 03-05 are known as Blobeye

Tony
Old 12 May 2006, 01:13 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here goes (I think):

1. 265 bhp as standard
2. Dunno
3. Dunno
4. I thinh 45k
5. IMHO - yes and would have thought so but depends on what you pay - all relevant.

Just save up and get an STI8. Mine is NOT for sale but here are some pictures anyway. Buyers market for the STI7 anyway - most would want the newer model. You WILL regret not getting the car you crave for.

Old 12 May 2006, 01:14 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

or cheaper still, wait 6 months for the prices to plummet more, then pay the same for the sti 8
Old 12 May 2006, 01:17 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

2002 51 Reg SUBARU IMPREZA 2.0 WRX STi,4 Doors, Manual, Saloon, Petrol, 42,000 miles, Blue, Manual, ABS, AirCon / Climate, Alarm / Immobiliser, Alloys, CD Player, Central Locking, Driver and Passenger Airbags, Electric Windows and Mirrors, PAS, Full Service History. RAC Tracker fitted. Water Cooled Intercooler. All Wheel Drive. Web: www.mrmcarsales.co.uk. E-mail: mrm@netcentral.co.uk. £11,495. Tel: (01782) 317657Distance: 32 milesPrice: £11,495

Its on the second page if you follow their website, its the non-prodrive version by the looks (small spoiler) but it could be in the region of what your looking for?

Tony
Old 12 May 2006, 01:24 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

1. 265ps for a UK car, 280ps for a Jap import.
2. 2 Variants of the UK MY02 car (the STi7 would have been a JDM MY01 car) and those were the Prodrive version with all the body kit, big spoiler etc and the non-Prodrive version which had less of a body kit and a low level rear spoiler as seen on the WRX.
3. As above.
4. not sure but 60k rings a bell, though it depends on whether its a UK or JDM car as they have differing intervals.
5. Imports may still be worth more, the UK car was less powerful than its JDM counterpart and they replaced the STi Bugeye with the Blobeye the next year. Hunt around for a bargain and dont be afraid to buy an Import as long as its got history

Tony
Old 12 May 2006, 01:27 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Thanks guys...

Yes i would love the STI 8...and the Pics above really really did not help...

So i started looking on Auto trader...and foudn an STI 8 though for £12K with 70K on the clock...with full subaru service...In silver though...The guys in leeds and is not open to offers and will only give 1 months warranty.

I have access to another car, and yes will not be rushing into anything but its just the thought on owning a Scooby again....

Trending Topics

Old 12 May 2006, 02:03 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

If i get a RAC checkup on this car before i buy wouldl you think its a good buy at £11,500?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...DME:L:RTQ:UK:1

Or this for £12K with higher milleage:

http://www.dentonmotors.co.uk/details.asp?cdID=515171

Ofcourse put me little over my budget...but im just thinking aloud.....
Old 12 May 2006, 04:15 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SamUK
Or this for £12K with higher milleage:

http://www.dentonmotors.co.uk/details.asp?cdID=515171

Ofcourse put me little over my budget...but im just thinking aloud.....
What's with the wheels on that one, they lOOk like the WRX wheels.

Try pistonheads, sidc and a few other sites. I'm sure you could get a 03 STi for £13k if you barter/get lucky.

Last edited by GazTheHat; 12 May 2006 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12 May 2006, 04:22 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Surely they would take <£12k for this.

2003 SUBARU IMPREZA 2.0 WRX STi Prodrive 4dr Saloon,
42,000 miles, 3x3 point rear seat belts, ABS, Alarm, Alloy wheels, Central locking, Drivers airbag.full service history,one owner,5 months manufacturers warranty. £12,250

Keep hunting, you'll find one that's right for you...
Old 12 May 2006, 04:23 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Personally I wouldn't go for a high mileage car, especially not an Impreza, as it is likely to have had a very spirited life . Ultimately you may be purchasing a car that is cheap at the time of purchase but liable to go bang or have some problems with it that could ultimatley increase the price dramatically. I'd go for the car with the least miles on the clock, preferably in standard trim within my budget then you have the reassurance of a fresher engine and hopefully be in a better position for modifying when the bug hits, and it will hit .

Have a look in the gallery at the Bugeye thread before you discard them, i've found my STi to meet all my requirements and maybe if the lights dont take your fancy, I actually like the bug hence why I bought one dispite being in a position where i could afford a Blob, then you could do a facelift down the line
Old 12 May 2006, 04:39 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
What's with the wheels on that one, they lOOk like the WRX wheels.

Try pistonheads, sidc and a few other sites. I'm sure you could get a 03 STi for £13k if you barter/get lucky.

Nope, silver STI ones. On WRX wheels the two parts of each spoke are parallel, on the STi they diverge at the rim.

M
Old 12 May 2006, 04:55 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
Surely they would take <£12k for this.

2003 SUBARU IMPREZA 2.0 WRX STi Prodrive 4dr Saloon,
42,000 miles, 3x3 point rear seat belts, ABS, Alarm, Alloy wheels, Central locking, Drivers airbag.full service history,one owner,5 months manufacturers warranty. £12,250

Keep hunting, you'll find one that's right for you...
I guess this was on autotrader, Blue?

I called the guy, its sold...
Old 12 May 2006, 05:21 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

sam,
i was very recently in the same position as yourself having a similar budget and after a bugeye sti. i much preffered the prodrive stled version available in either blue or black as it had more aggressive styling and much more presence . i searched high and low (for a uk version only) but could not find one even up to 13k, although it did have to have fssh, low miles, 1-2 owners and in vgc. i test drove 1 and was impressed with the performance but with 4 owners and partial history i knocked it back. thank god i did. the silver blobeye your looking at has been for sale for ages and i would be put off by the mileage.
in the end i increased my budget to 14k and bought a 53 plate sti in black which i have proposed to and she said yes shes a beast.
i do still like the look of the bugeye sti (prodrive style) as it has a sleeker front end to the blobeye however after previously owning a bugeye i knew i would regret buying another as i was never quite happy with its looks. keep looking and walk away from any deal initially, have a think and then make a decision. dont rush. good luck they are awesome cars.
Old 12 May 2006, 06:33 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

I agree with bob that you should be in no rush, there are a lot of them out there at present and the prices are only going to fall. Also the trade really don't seem to be keen on them. I was offered 10.5k against my 03 STi with only 20,000 miles on it. If lots of people are getting similar offers then the private price will fall as people want rid of the cars.

Be careful with the budget though, have a few quid in the bank to pay to keep the car. Although mine only had 20,000 miles on it my estimate was that it was needing about 3k of work in terms of new shocks, tyres, brakes etc. in the next 12 months. You should view all of them in that light.
Old 13 May 2006, 01:44 PM
esp ltd
Scooby Regular

I bought that STi Impreza you mentioned!! It was for a customer of mine who decided to buy an Evo 8 off me instead so she's going back up for sale........nice car with a few little marks but HPi clean and drives superbly, give me a quick call if you fancy a look.
Dave
CAR HAS NOW SOLD!!!!!!

Last edited by esp ltd; 13 May 2006 at 03:47 PM.
Old 13 May 2006, 03:48 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

duplicate post!

Last edited by SamUK; 13 May 2006 at 04:20 PM.
Old 13 May 2006, 04:19 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by esp ltd
I bought that STi Impreza you mentioned!! It was for a customer of mine who decided to buy an Evo 8 off me instead so she's going back up for sale........nice car with a few little marks but HPi clean and drives superbly, give me a quick call if you fancy a look.
Dave
Dave(07810 098199)

Yes he bought it oright!..had two conversations with him within 10mins, and after telling him i have raised the remaining of the money from my dad and would like to come buy the car tommrow (sunday) being 300miles from me and he said he was busy and it will have to be Monday. Fair enough....

Also was advised the car has scratches on it and will be getting a valet on Monday morninig, so i said i will take the day off from work and come down..all agreed..!

I happened to txt him and asked if the car had aircon near 10mins after, and this is the reply i got:

It does, but a local dealer just bought it over the phone, sorry! WTF! we had already made an agreement of me comming down to buy the car...????

Apparantly sold to a sports dealer who buys quite afew sporst cars from him! But you told me u are a dealer....

I hope you dont treat all ur customers like this...

My Search Continues! Now for an STI 8 found another near Leeds, possibly driving up tommrow morning...

Last edited by SamUK; 13 May 2006 at 04:27 PM.
Old 13 May 2006, 04:32 PM
lordretsudo
Scooby Regular

I've been thinking about possibly trying to sell my 53 reg STI (Type UK) lately. I've had it a year and love it but am still yearning for an Evo, or possibly a Skyline GTR if I can persuade the other half...

I haven't looked at Scoobies on Autotrader since I bought mine, but have obviously seen all the doom and gloom posts on here about abysmal residuals. There is a 53 reg STI for sale near me for £18,000 with 40k miles, which is what I paid a year ago for my car with 16k miles! Within a 100 mile radius of where I live there are hardly any newage STI's for sale (quite a few WRX's though) and the cheapest is £15,500 for a bugeye. So, my question is: are all the moans on here just bullsh*t or are the prices on autotrader completely unrealistic? If I really thought I could get £15k for mine then I would definitely sell it, as this would be enough to enable me to get an Evo IX.
Old 13 May 2006, 06:45 PM
esp ltd
Scooby Regular

Sammy boy......you did not agree to buy my car you **** !!!! You asked "to view" the car but made no promises so what's your problem???? Most of my cars get sold the same day to people who put down a deposit not to people who just 'want a look'........you also told me you would have to try and borrow the money from your family.........hardly a cast iron sale in my book so why on earth would i want to keep it on the off chance that you would have actually turned up......grow up for goodness sake!!!!
Next time you get offered a car why not offer a deposit over the phone......at least then the seller will know you can actually afford the car and are a serious buyer!! Anyway, best of luck with your search!!x
Old 13 May 2006, 09:38 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by esp ltd
Sammy boy......you did not agree to buy my car you **** !!!! You asked "to view" the car but made no promises so what's your problem???? Most of my cars get sold the same day to people who put down a deposit not to people who just 'want a look'........you also told me you would have to try and borrow the money from your family.........hardly a cast iron sale in my book so why on earth would i want to keep it on the off chance that you would have actually turned up......grow up for goodness sake!!!!
Next time you get offered a car why not offer a deposit over the phone......at least then the seller will know you can actually afford the car and are a serious buyer!! Anyway, best of luck with your search!!x

Oooh...Sammy boy (1st u spelt my name wrong! 2nd i aint no boy, 3rd who the *** u think u are calling me that u Motherfuker! so take ur BIG FAT TOE NAIL and shov it up up A$$! *****! blowing me a ki$$!

Oviously i aint gna drive 600 mile round trip just to look at a car, i was going to come sooner but ur wife was keeping u busy apparantly! enof said!

Thanks i am sure i will find one!

opps i forgot: to u too!

Last edited by SamUK; 13 May 2006 at 09:43 PM.
Old 13 May 2006, 09:44 PM
esp ltd
Scooby Regular

OOOOOhhhhhhh!!! soooo glad i bought that from under your feet!