Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What has happened to all you scooby drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2006, 10:37 AM
dmc1980
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry What has happened to all you scooby drivers?

Sorry mods, but this has to be said, and im hoping that by putting it in here, more people will see it.

Every year, Chris Mann puts everything he can into organising an amazing event solely for subaru drivers, hyped up on this website and many others. The entries have been open for months, and still there is only 54 entries on the list. So out of all the subaru owners on here, not even 100 people will enter. How many of you are going to go and stand at the side lines annonmously thinking how you would have enjoyed taking part?

Seriously, it really is sad and dissapointing that 100 places cannot be filled from the members on this site alone. This isnt only for high powered cars, if you look, the better prizes are for the slower classes. My car is almost standard, and im driving from Northern Ireland, staying in a hotel for the weekend just so i can be there and take part!

Come on people, put your money where your mouth is and get entered, you have 4 days left!

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...=496758&page=5
Old 10 May 2006, 10:40 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dmc1980
Sorry mods, but this has to be said, and im hoping that by putting it in here, more people will see it.

Every year, Chris Mann puts everything he can into organising an amazing event solely for subaru drivers, hyped up on this website and many others. The entries have been open for months, and still there is only 54 entries on the list. So out of all the subaru owners on here, not even 100 people will enter. How many of you are going to go and stand at the side lines annonmously thinking how you would have enjoyed taking part?

Seriously, it really is sad and dissapointing that 100 places cannot be filled from the members on this site alone. This isnt only for high powered cars, if you look, the better prizes are for the slower classes. My car is almost standard, and im driving from Northern Ireland, staying in a hotel for the weekend just so i can be there and take part!

Come on people, put your money where your mouth is and get entered, you have 4 days left!

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...=496758&page=5
Would gladly enter it, but i'm not really up for a 5 hour drive there and back.
Old 10 May 2006, 10:41 AM
dmc1980
Scooby Regular

then book a B&B, its a full days driving for us just to get there, and then back again
Old 10 May 2006, 10:42 AM
stew911
Scooby Regular

my bf would probably love to attend something like this but seeing as he is at work that weekend and its all the way up in york it is not possible.

your determination to be there though is very good!
Old 10 May 2006, 10:44 AM
dmc1980
Scooby Regular

It is a fantastic day, and such fun on the strip. It just gets me worked up that chris puts so much work and effort into organising this to only get 54 entries. I would of thought with all the talk and mouthing that goes on, he should of been filling the places 5 times over.
Old 10 May 2006, 10:45 AM
Moley
Sponsor

then book a B&B, its a full days driving for us just to get there, and then back again
Not an option, as i have to be somewhere else on the Saturday night.

Would really love to go up there, but the £250+ it will cost me can really go on better things right now (like 2 new wheel bearings so i don't have to come back on the back of a recovery vehicle)
Old 10 May 2006, 10:45 AM
The Knives are out
Scooby Regular

Location: They may be out, but work "mates" keep thrusting them back in :o(

There must be some issues as its on the same weekend as Japfest

Whilst its a different type of event if they didn't clash perhaps you would attract more people .................... just a thought

Trending Topics

Old 10 May 2006, 10:47 AM
dmc1980
Scooby Regular

differnt days, japfest is on saturday, sso is on sunday, i know die hards that are doing both! and japfest is a different type of event tbh. SSO is for SUBARUS, and as a subaru owner and enthusiast, i know which one i will be at!
Old 10 May 2006, 10:49 AM
The Knives are out
Scooby Regular

I no what you saying

Still think if they were on different weekends there would be more interest

most people can't afford 2 events in one weekend
Old 10 May 2006, 10:52 AM
stew911
Scooby Regular

that is a very good point and basically we aren't all rich *******s now are we. from what i have gathered the majority of us on here are just normal joe bloggs trying to earn a living and keep our cars alive!
Old 10 May 2006, 10:53 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Have set myself a target of SSO 2007 to have mine ready.....so will be there next year for sure!!!!
Old 10 May 2006, 10:54 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isnt that show up in York?? Now theres the problem lol.
Old 10 May 2006, 10:56 AM
dmc1980
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stew911
that is a very good point and basically we aren't all rich *******s now are we. from what i have gathered the majority of us on here are just normal joe bloggs trying to earn a living and keep our cars alive!
and you can rest assured, neither am i. I work my *** of to have what i have, and i have put money away each month so i can go to this event! You lot are on the same bit of land! I have to pay for a boat as well! so explain to me how it has anything to do with being rich?
Old 10 May 2006, 10:57 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Strangely the very first SSO was oversubscribed as everyone thought that their Scoob was very fast.

On the actual day a lot of people were shocked by either how 'average' their Scoob was and how fast some other Scoobs are. I think this put a lot of people off as you really had to have a quick car to win anything.

I think the new format with bracketing opens it up for everyone and maybe more should have been made of this. Although at the end of the day people want to think their Scoob is the fastest and with some of the cars around nowadays that is pretty unlikely.

I wanted to be there but I am in San Diego so it is a bit far to travel

Rannoch
Old 10 May 2006, 10:58 AM
stew911
Scooby Regular

**** knows, you obviously have more money then sense i guess whereas us english eegits use our heads and thnk nope not this year!
Old 10 May 2006, 11:07 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would but it's 250 miles each way for me and I'd have to do that in a day and in my Subaru I can't be bothered. If it was at a more central location I might have been more tempted but Elvington isn't that easy for me to get to.
Old 10 May 2006, 11:09 AM
No_9
Scooby Regular

Money really, last year I did a lot, me and the gf took her Volvo S40 T4 down to the Scooby shootout, just did it in the one day, 14.2 on the 1/4, nothing spectacular by Scooby standards but for a 1.4 tonne fwd Volvo with an exhaust and a remap I thought was pretty good. Managed 150mph on the 1.2 mile run as well.

Then I took my Rover to TOTB and competed in the FWD class, same venue. This year we might have the Volvo ready for TOTB but it has no engine at the moment, and the Scooby I just bought is more or less a standard Type R with just the basic bits on. With DIY and other stuff to be doing, the cost of going to the SSO with the new car just can't be justified. We travel down from Scotland to go to them so petrol etc adds up, and a hotel if we stay over, SSo last year we did on the one day down and up, TOTB we went for the weekend and came back on the Monday.

Chris Mann does put a lot of effort into this event and TOTB as is plainly obvious from seeing and speaking to him at the events, but people have other things going on in their lives outside of their cars and sometimes the car stuff has to go on the back burner, no point getting upset about it, hope you have a good trip over from ireland and enjoy the event

Ross
Old 10 May 2006, 11:11 AM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

the reason i think its held in york is that its equidistant for nearly everyone....there are loads of people with fast scoobs in scotland, as there are in southern england...west wales etc...

im going up from herts, but am staying over the night before.

I am still surprised at the relatively small uptake though, nevermind, more prizes for me
Old 10 May 2006, 11:13 AM
stew911
Scooby Regular

they should hold an event like this in the midlands to make it more accesable for everyone in my opinion.
Old 10 May 2006, 11:16 AM
dmc1980
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by No_9
Money really, last year I did a lot, me and the gf took her Volvo S40 T4 down to the Scooby shootout, just did it in the one day, 14.2 on the 1/4, nothing spectacular by Scooby standards but for a 1.4 tonne fwd Volvo with an exhaust and a remap I thought was pretty good. Managed 150mph on the 1.2 mile run as well.

Then I took my Rover to TOTB and competed in the FWD class, same venue. This year we might have the Volvo ready for TOTB but it has no engine at the moment, and the Scooby I just bought is more or less a standard Type R with just the basic bits on. With DIY and other stuff to be doing, the cost of going to the SSO with the new car just can't be justified. We travel down from Scotland to go to them so petrol etc adds up, and a hotel if we stay over, SSo last year we did on the one day down and up, TOTB we went for the weekend and came back on the Monday.

Chris Mann does put a lot of effort into this event and TOTB as is plainly obvious from seeing and speaking to him at the events, but people have other things going on in their lives outside of their cars and sometimes the car stuff has to go on the back burner, no point getting upset about it, hope you have a good trip over from ireland and enjoy the event

Ross
see i respect that sort of answer, rather than calling me a rich whatever!
Old 10 May 2006, 11:17 AM
The Knives are out
Scooby Regular

I think the old saying is

you can't please all the people all the time

I am sure there will be enough for the spectators to look at even if its a low turnout

Last minute charlies may be a problem
Old 10 May 2006, 11:18 AM
No_9
Scooby Regular

Thats the thing though, the midlands isn't more accesible for everyone. Those up in Scotland etc would then have a fair bit further to travel as well, It's a few hours for me but I only stay just short of Glasgow, those up in Aberdeen etc already have a huge treck just to get to York, never mind further south still.

As Niel said, York is pretty much the most accesible place for the majority of the UK, plus Elvington is ideal for holding all 3 disciplines of top speed, 1/4 and handling, I think you would do well to find a better venue than Elvington taking into account location and capability of the venue.

Ross
Old 10 May 2006, 11:23 AM
terryb
Scooby Regular

differnt days, japfest is on saturday, sso is on sunday, i know die hards that are doing both! and japfest is a different type of event tbh. SSO is for SUBARUS, and as a subaru owner and enthusiast, i know which one i will be at!
The problem is mate that there aren't that many die hards out there. I did both last year and it's a 600-mile round trip for me to Elvington - 4am start, 8pm home.

The clash with Japfest is a big issue too. Ideally next year this won't be the case. Maybe next year we (SIDC) can work with SN and Chris to ensure the 2 don't clash and we (SIDC) can have a club presence there (I'm more than happy to drive this as a committee member of SIDC )

However there are far more show 'n' shiners in this community than there are real drivers - so this event doesn't appeal to everyone - whilst we could potentially increase the numbers that attend - I still don't think it will be too easy to increase the numbers of entrants to the competition too much.

Anyway - I'll be there kicking everyone's ***** on the day
Old 10 May 2006, 11:36 AM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

what happens if the car sells before next sunday terry!! never raced of rallied
Old 10 May 2006, 11:58 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Think people are getting mixed up with the whole central location thing. York might very well be a more central location for GB geographically, but centrally located population wise it's well out.

As said before a midlands location is a better bet to have more people come to your event because it's more accessable to a higher percentage of population. IIRC the major shows of last year were around Santa Pod and Northampton areas.

It's madness if this date was chosen on the same weekend as Japfest. Japfest is IIRC a weekend event with camping etc and is a fairly big event. I would rather go to Japfest for a weekend than a shootout for a day, and the whole 'Imprezas only' thing isn't a pull for me.
Old 10 May 2006, 12:02 PM
The Knives are out
Scooby Regular

Japfest

Its a Friday Trackday then Show and Trackday on Saturday

So they day doesn't actually clash

But my girlfriend won't want me out on both days so I will be going to Japfest

Be good to get them on different weekends
Old 10 May 2006, 12:06 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

They do clash in respect that they are on the same weekend. I'd imagine also that a fair few people will be camping on the sat night too, and wouldn't then fancy a drive from Japfest to York, do a full day there, then drive home again.
Old 10 May 2006, 12:14 PM
The Knives are out
Scooby Regular

How many people did the shootout last year?
Old 10 May 2006, 12:23 PM
No_9
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
Think people are getting mixed up with the whole central location thing. York might very well be a more central location for GB geographically, but centrally located population wise it's well out.

As said before a midlands location is a better bet to have more people come to your event because it's more accessable to a higher percentage of population. IIRC the major shows of last year were around Santa Pod and Northampton areas.

It's madness if this date was chosen on the same weekend as Japfest. Japfest is IIRC a weekend event with camping etc and is a fairly big event. I would rather go to Japfest for a weekend than a shootout for a day, and the whole 'Imprezas only' thing isn't a pull for me.
True, spectators wise you want it closer to larger areas of population, but competitors wise you need to have it geographically as central as possible IMO in order to make it as fair a shot as possible for everyone wishing to compete. Having it closer to some people might encourage them to race, but at the loss of others who then find themselves further away.

Also, is there a midlands venue with space for 1/4 mile, 1 mile flying run, and handling circuit going on simultaneously, Elvington is a proven venue for this sort of stuff.

Ross
Old 10 May 2006, 12:58 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Would love to go, but it's hours of driving each way and i'm daddy sitting all w/end while the wifey enjoys her b'day w/end in dublin.

So maybe there's not so many because they also have circumstances stopping them. But good on you for drumming up more support.

Quick Reply: What has happened to all you scooby drivers?