Sponsored by:

Morpheus Geodesy - not perfect

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2001, 02:30 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had this device in the car for 2 days now

Being the hyper critical person that I am - I noticed an immediate problem with the unit within 2 miles of driving it towards my favourite speed camera location....

Now I'm sure that someone has raised this before, but I noticed a deficiency if you have 2 cameras on different sides of the road spread approx 300 metres apart.

On approaching the nearest one for me on the other side of the road it obviously goes off - then it goes all green, on approaching the one that matters it is only at the point that u go through the trap that it goes ape again

Now being critical I could say that the unit is useless - it has given me the all clear for me to put my foot down and then I could have been caught by a camera on my side of the road as I got insufficient warning

Must say I was quite surprised that the unit could not cope if their are two camera's so close to each other on different sides of the road!

Nevertheless I'll still be using it - I feel much safer having my laserjammers on the car!, in addition to this unit

Buts it something to bear in mind - just cos it gives you the green signals to say that the danger is passed - this in the case around Bristol is inaccurate.

I guess I can have the settings changed - but thats hassle
Old 27 October 2001, 03:22 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Steve

An then there are the GPS dead spots. This covers most of one built up area that I know of.

I am about to order the Blue i unit, having had a Geodesy in the past.

TONY
Old 27 October 2001, 03:45 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Tony

Whats the Blue i unit?
Old 27 October 2001, 03:48 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Blue I unit will be susceptible to the same GPS black spots as Geodesy !

All you need to do is get the range of the Geodesy reduced from 1 mile to .5 mile and it can deal much better with these situations !
Old 27 October 2001, 03:53 PM
SCOOP
Scooby Regular

Steve, nothings perfect m8,
But in defence of Geodesy I`ve got to say that in the circumstances you describe my unit operates perfectly.
If your not happy with it whats the problem with having the settings changed??
Surely its not much hassle, only a phonecall to Morpheous!

Cheers

SCOOP
Old 27 October 2001, 04:30 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

mine operates fine in the example steve has given, as i approach the nearer one and depart from the first it goes mad again well before i get to the second camera.
Old 27 October 2001, 04:57 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Talking

Steve

www.originbluei.com

Looks really good until someone brings out an integrated unit (GPS, Radar Detector and Laser Jammer)

It will still suffer from GPS blackspots, but it appears to offer more for your money.

TONY
Old 28 October 2001, 01:58 AM
SCOBY
Scooby Regular

Question

I just received delivery of my Bell Euro 550, I noticed exactly the same problem with mine, it picks up the 1 on the other side but the one infront that matters it dont seem to go off til Im past it, I spoke to networx auto and they said that some of the cameras are not fully functional that is why they dont go off earlier, he said they dont send out a full signal if there not fully functional.

Is this the case perhaps one of u can tell me

Cheers
Old 28 October 2001, 10:32 AM
Gizmo555
Scooby Regular

Scoby

The BEll 550 picks up active cameras only - it detects the radar being emitted from them.

The Geodesy is a GPS unit which basically tells you when you're close to a camera via satellite link & database of site.

The problem you describe is different to Steves.

Where abouts in Bristol Steve - I'll give it a go and see if mine does the same.
Old 28 October 2001, 10:33 AM
Gizmo555
Scooby Regular

Scoby

The BEll 550 picks up active cameras only - it detects the radar being emitted from them.

The Geodesy is a GPS unit which basically tells you when you're close to a camera via satellite link & database of site.

The problem you describe is different to Steves.

Where abouts in Bristol Steve - I'll give it a go and see if mine does the same.
Old 29 October 2001, 08:59 AM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Gizmo

Its the road from the MOD up to the roundabout where KFC is - if u know this one

ie you come off the M32 - head for Bristol Parkway station Get to the MOD roundabout (nr Mcdonalds) and head up the 40 zone dual carriageway - past two sets of lights and theres two camera's either side of the road spaced a couple a hundred metres apart

I think like another commentator said - I'll adjust the settings to 0.5 miles
Old 29 October 2001, 09:45 AM
ChrisB

Steve,

I've got exactly the same camera setup round me. Dual carriageway with a camera covering either side about two hundred metres about.

I found my Geodesy wouldn't pick up one of the cameras, so I gave Morpheus a call. I got a call from the chap who looks after their database and he said two cameras facing each other do cause problems. He was going to move round the alert points to try and fix it.

When I spoke to them, they where starting to re-do their database.

ChrisB.
Old 01 November 2001, 08:35 PM
Gizmo555
Scooby Regular

Steve

Just tried mine tonight. Seems OK.
Heading towards British Aerospace and starts to beep at traffic lights for Filton Avenue (for camera on other side). All 10 LEDS red as get to camera on other side and STAY beeping until clear camera on my side. Same in reverse direction towards MOD.

Maybe Morpheous have changed some settings as someone mentioned.

Cheers

Mark
Old 01 November 2001, 11:25 PM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Generally, 7 out of 10 Cameras I pass are not on. Very rarely are the cameras you mention functioning, so no worries with a Bell.

Steve.
Old 02 November 2001, 07:16 AM
tklimes
Scooby Regular

The Bell will only detect cameras which work by radar. The plus point is that ot won't go off for Gatsos which are not active. The down side is that it will not detect Truvelo or SPECS cameras at all, ever, even if they are working. The Geodesy will notify you of all cameras 'cos it works by looking at your position by GPS and comparing it with a map of all UK cameras. Clearly, there are two problems with this, GPS dead spots and out of date maps. Morpheous are excelent at keeping the maps up to date (and even encourage owners to notify them of new cameras by offering a £50 reward for spotting a new one).

I have used radar detectors and the Geodesy and in my opinion the Morpheous gadget is the best solution currently available for moderating your speed near 'accident black spots'. It works particularly well in conjunction with a Laser Blinder
Old 29 November 2001, 08:22 PM
tomstickland
Scooby Newbie

I recently bought a Morpheus system after being caught by a Tru Velo doing 48 in a temporary roadworks 40 limit at 8.45 am on a deserted Sunday morning.

I think it's well worth the money.

The main thing that bugs me is the way that the Blue "communicating with satellite" LED overrides the Red warning LEDs. Plus round town it can be very confusing at first if there are cameras within range but on other roads.

However, on fast A roads it is tremendous, there is no doubt at all about camera locations.

Laser jammer is the next step for me since I live in fear of an officer jumping out of the hedge after clocking me on a A road.

I was pretty excited when I found an unmarked camera on the motorway one morning. It was 5am and I was going through some new roadworks. When I phoned up Morpheus, surprise surprise, the camera had already been marked. It did go through my mind that they could always say that.
Old 30 November 2001, 09:36 AM
gregh
Scooby Regular

Do the GPS devices warn you of all cameras regardless of wether they are active or not?

greg
Old 30 November 2001, 12:09 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Greg H

Yes they are supposed to

I am going to change mine to 0.5 miles. This should then not present any probs

Gizmo - yeah - seems to be much better now - strange!!

Its totally invaluable in Northampton around the Truvelo jobbies - have not seen these anywhere esle in the country yet!

48 in a 40 - I got 3 points for being told I was doing 78 on the motorway - M5 southbound of Birmingham - so much for 10% +3 - I think they had a high snooker break and needed to keep it going (I was in a red car!) - I'm sure most knwo about the Traffic police and their snooker stories!
Old 30 November 2001, 12:19 PM
^Gazzer^
Scooby Regular

I have just ordered a Blue i jobby direct from their website. I got an email telling me it will be dispatched wb 10 Dec.

Seams quite a decent product, if it works. It has some good features - tells you your speed, the prevailing speed limit, the road number you are on, your direction of travel. It has lots of features like different modes for various roads, and you can select cameras on your side of the road.

http://www.originbluei.com/

Old 30 November 2001, 12:30 PM
ga33a
Scooby Regular

It may be that the second camera (the one that the box DIDN'T pick up)is not listed in the database. If that's the case, you report it and collect your reward.

Also, you need to remember to download the latest version of the database as it's continually being updated.

IMHO this is a cracking idea and the longer the project runs and the more people who use it, the system will get better and better.

Cheers

Gazza