2006 Sti - Steering and Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2006, 09:12 AM
Martin Walker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Sti - Steering and Suspension

Morning folks,

Who's got or driven the 2006y Sti, with or without the prodrive springs ?
And if so, what are your thoughts, compared to older Sti's if you've driven the older ones.

Reason for question - possibly going to head down the road shortly of buying another Sti - heard a lot about light steering on the 2006 model, lack of feedback and so on.which leads me to the questions above - has anyone noticed the same when replacing older models (mines a 2003 Sti with Prodrive springs just now) with 2006 ? Anyone fitted the springs onto the 2006, and found they make any difference ?

Martin (who if he can get a new one in time for Alford might make a return complete with DCCD ... heh heh heh)
Old 02 May 2006, 09:29 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I've never driven one so it's anecdotal, but I've heard that the steering feels light at first but at 30mph+ it gets much better.

But every review I have read always says it's the best version yet so it can't be bad.
Old 02 May 2006, 10:02 AM
ARM-Scooby
Scooby Regular

I have an 06 sti, having previously owned a 2004 sti and a 2001 wrx. The 06 is great imho. Its different to the 04 for definate, and a test drive isnt enough time to be able to get used to it.

The springs on the 06 feel harder in standard form than the 04. It feels pretty firm, but added to the new suspension it really feels planted on the road, and a lot more solid whilst hammering it down back roads, a friend commented over the weekend on both the springs and also how it just felt stuck to the road. I have yet to get the wheels aligned at TSL, as with the other scoobies i have had the camber/ toe angle doesnt feel 100%, but i have been told that the alignment is a major improvement over standard, so will be off to get that sorted at some point too!
Old 02 May 2006, 10:19 AM
Martin Walker
Scooby Regular

Oh aye - test drives aren't enough - never are - this'll be my fifth one now, and the test drives ever since the first one in 95 have only ever been 'tick in the box' exercises. I'll test drive this 'un too anyway, but one of the reasons for my question is to get you folks experiences in the real world.
So the new springs + new suspension are good then. Perhaps the new car doesn't even need the Prodrive springs. Interesting.
Camber/toe - ah yes, handy being a bit nearer these places for getting the adjustments completed. Edinburgh is a bit of a trek down south for these things.
Old 02 May 2006, 02:23 PM
Neil W
Scooby Regular

I have had my MY06 Sti for 2 weeks now and prefer it to my previous MY03 Sti.

It has the Prodrive springs on it and at first I found the steering a little light but now I am used to it, I much prefer it. Im not sure how much diffrence the springs make apart from dropping it by approx 25mm - must admit I expected the ride to be much firmer than it actually is. I will give it a proper test once it has 1k on it and PPP.

I test drove one for approx 20mins and was unsure whether to change so I managed to blag the demonstrator for a day and that made it much easier to decide. If you are serious your dealer should let you have one for at least a few hours.
Old 02 May 2006, 03:01 PM
Martin Walker
Scooby Regular

Good review there. Thanks for that. And good call getting the car for a day - never managed that before.

Think I'll follow the same road from 03 to 06. And perhaps do a 1,000 miles or more before doing the springs .....
Old 02 May 2006, 08:23 PM
Leeroy
Scooby Regular

I don't rteally know why there's such bad press about the steering - had mine for a month now and am thoroughly impressed. It does feel light at first though, particularly at low speed as said. The standard Sti ride is fine for me and no where near as bad as i expected (compared to old classic Sti!). Even the missus' approves!

Trending Topics

Old 02 May 2006, 08:29 PM
zoney-WRX
Scooby Regular

i took a My06 Sti for a test drive a few weeks ago and will never drive 1 again compaired to my My05 Sti it handles like a bag of **** at high spped the steering it that light the slightest move would put u in a hedge as for over all handleing it doesnt feel as sure footed as the 05 model and i could go on and on
Old 02 May 2006, 10:29 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Here, try some of these:

Old 03 May 2006, 07:23 AM
Martin Walker
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, well I'll get a full test drive tomorrow I hope, and report back then - hopefully not finding out that it's a bag of **** (to quote, grin). Given the mixed feelings on this thread I'm just crossing me fingers.
Old 03 May 2006, 07:32 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had my MY06 Sti since the end of Jan and with the Prodrive spring kit (and sorted geometry from TSL) works a treat. Compared to my old Bug Eye STi it has loads more grip around the corners but can feel a little skitty as the Bridgestone RE070 tyres do tend to grab adverse cambers a little more than say Toyos or F1's would - so you need to pay attention.

But - when you get used to it, it devours roads quicker than anything and the grip keeps coming - the real beauty is the pure driveability of the car with all that torque available from much lower down the rev range. I have above 300lb/ft torque from 3400 RPM - this makes for some exciting driving without having to change gear every 10 seconds.
Old 03 May 2006, 12:01 PM
Trumble
Scooby Regular

Another thumbs up here for MY06 STI with Prodrive springs - now with 3K miles.

T.
Old 04 May 2006, 08:45 AM
Neil W
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trumble
Another thumbs up here for MY06 STI with Prodrive springs - now with 3K miles.

T.

What colour are your PD Springs? Standard springs taken off mine were black and replaced with Red PD ones.

In the Subaru Accesories Catalogue the PD springs for Sti are Pink and im sure my 03 Sti had red springs as standard.

Im sure they have changed them but I just expected the ride to be much harder than it actually is and with the colour thing it just got me thinking, were they actually changed.

btw the car was brand new so I didnt see it prior to the springs being fitted.
Old 04 May 2006, 09:36 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Red
Old 04 May 2006, 01:21 PM
Trumble
Scooby Regular

Come on they're not red - they're pink not red (at least thats what I tell myself) -hold on axctually if the rtuth be known they're a **** brown color now

T.
Old 04 May 2006, 01:33 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

like my pants when it is wet and cold on the bridgestones RE070's

but in the dry.....mmmmmm