Sponsored by:

Dump Valves andOther Things

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2006, 09:58 AM
superstar1
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dump Valves andOther Things

After reading plenty of threads on here posting questions about dump valves is it not time we had the definitive, ultimate thread regarding these things from a purely technical point of view. Thus removing all the negative chav style insults aimed at the curious just because they have expresed an interest with a hope of gaining some advice from the more technically minded?
I'm sick of the negitivity on here towards people just because of after market dump valves and other items such as gold wheels. Although i have none of these on my wagon, i do realise that like it or not gold wheels are and will always be Subaru. It makes me smile when those that are labelling others chavs for having gold wheels and after market dump valves are probably driving 'regulation blue scoobs'. It's a simple formula,
Red = Ferrari
Gold wheels = Subaru
Just live with it and enjoy
Old 30 April 2006, 10:32 AM
B.I.G SCOOB
Scooby Regular

well said!!!!ihave a wagon,with a hks b.o.v on it but ive had difficulty setting it up,so i posted a thread and the response has been minimal!i think that its down to individual preferences as to what goes on a scoob,gold wheels arent chav!i dont have gold wheels as my wagon wudnt suit them i dont think and thats my opinion but they do however go well with pretty much any other colour scoob!we shud all just get along as we r here for the same reason,either we own scoobs or admire them,and sometimes(most of the time for me)looking to get advice so that we can keep them in good working order!the negativity is pants as we were all novices at one point and also new! rant over!!!!anyone help me with the pipes on the boost solenoid ie where they come from and what goes where? lol
Old 30 April 2006, 10:34 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Red = Ferrari
Gold wheels = Subaru

And Dump Valve = Chav........Pssssssh
Old 30 April 2006, 10:39 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Red = Ferrari
Gold wheels = Subaru

And Dump Valve = Chav........Pssssssh
I'm sorry, I couldn't resist...seriously though each to their own.
Old 30 April 2006, 10:46 AM
jonesting
Scooby Regular

heres the first question for the tech heads,are vta dump valves necsasary and if not why do people bother or do you need to be running a certain power in order to require one to optimize performance.any response is welcome,but i'm not looking to be patronised or treated like a kid(i'm 36),as was said above it would help if people knew the mechanics,whys and wherefors on these things.

cheers
Old 30 April 2006, 10:51 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by jonesting
heres the first question for the tech heads,are vta dump valves necsasary and if not why do people bother or do you need to be running a certain power in order to require one to optimize performance.any response is welcome,but i'm not looking to be patronised or treated like a kid(i'm 36),as was said above it would help if people knew the mechanics,whys and wherefors on these things.

cheers

Not necessary at all. The standard one will do the job fine up to a certain threshold at which point a stronger diaphragm may be needed. as to why people put them on? To scare old ladies at bus stops and impress the local schoolkids!
Old 30 April 2006, 10:59 AM
jonesting
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
Not necessary at all. The standard one will do the job fine up to a certain threshold at which point a stronger diaphragm may be needed. as to why people put them on? To scare old ladies at bus stops and impress the local schoolkids!
cheers mate,at what threshold would you think its time to bin the standard item
Old 30 April 2006, 11:05 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by jonesting
cheers mate,at what threshold would you think its time to bin the standard item

Depends on what model you have and also what age the car is. diaphragms do weaken and perish with age as they are normally made of rubber. General consensus is the standard dump valve in good nick should be good enough for 300+ bhp after which point a kevlar diaphragmed unit would be better.
Old 30 April 2006, 11:27 AM
jonesting
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
Depends on what model you have and also what age the car is. diaphragms do weaken and perish with age as they are normally made of rubber. General consensus is the standard dump valve in good nick should be good enough for 300+ bhp after which point a kevlar diaphragmed unit would be better.
cheers bud
Old 30 April 2006, 11:43 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

The definititive anwser has been given time and time again!

The stock one works perfectly fine. Unless your running waaay above 300bhp - or it's broken (ain't broke - don't fix )

Aftermarket recirc - OK, But only any good if it is adjusted properly and using the correct spings, and has good damping.

Vent to Air - Causes hesitation, and also affects idling and running if badly adjusted, or not using correct springs (which many are IMO ).

Multi sequential/dual stage/whatever Dump valves - If you really want to burn money, fine by me - still needs adjusting properly. Money is far better spent elsewhere - like decent tyres, TASTEFUL body mods...or even something that'll make the car faster - a Remap!

Neither types give any positive gains on power or driveability. If anything - especially with a VTA and retaining the stock MAF based ECU, it is quite the opposite.

The above has been posted in many many threads. And this thread, along with the others will just degrade further and further until it is "yet another" dump valve thread.

So move along now, nothing to see here