Sponsored by:

What have I done??

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2006, 08:46 PM
spursfc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What have I done??

In 2nd gear today and went to accelerate, then all of a sudden the car jolted as if it had slipped out of gear (but it hadn’t) and I lost all power. Now I had the radio on quite loud so couldn't hear the noise of the engine, and I think I may have redlined it without knowing. (i’ve only had the car two weeks so still learning her capabilities) Before I get any abuse for ragging my pride and joy, this is the first time I have done this! Anyway, I change gear into 3rd and everything seems fine. I park up and let her warm down.

I've now done about 50 miles since and there seem to be no obvious lasting damage. Just want to know what I did to my engine???!!!
Old 20 April 2006, 08:56 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by spursfc
In 2nd gear today and went to accelerate, then all of a sudden the car jolted as if it had slipped out of gear (but it hadn’t) and I lost all power. Now I had the radio on quite loud so couldn't hear the noise of the engine, and I think I may have redlined it without knowing. (i’ve only had the car two weeks so still learning her capabilities) Before I get any abuse for ragging my pride and joy, this is the first time I have done this! Anyway, I change gear into 3rd and everything seems fine. I park up and let her warm down.

I've now done about 50 miles since and there seem to be no obvious lasting damage. Just want to know what I did to my engine???!!!
The rev limiter cut in thats all. Absolutely nothing to worry about. Easily done on standard cars due to the smooth nature of the boxer engine. Just don't make a habit of it! Incidentally what car do you have?
Old 20 April 2006, 09:00 PM
steve05wrx
Scooby Regular

Hi
Were you going round a corner at the time and how much fuel was in your tank?
On some models you can get momentary fuel starvation, if you are really low on fuel - which can be real scary!
Cheers!
Steve
Old 20 April 2006, 09:15 PM
spursfc
Scooby Regular

Thank guys! I can sleep tonight not worrying about my pride and joy.

I have a MY02 WRX by the way.

I was hot on the tails (legally and safely before any abuse) with a Mazda RX8 ahead of me and got a little over excited. Lesson learned......

p.s. fuel was ok so sounds like the rev limited had kicked in
Old 20 April 2006, 09:21 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by spursfc
Thank guys! I can sleep tonight not worrying about my pride and joy.

I have a MY02 WRX by the way.

I was hot on the tails (legally and safely before any abuse) with a Mazda RX8 ahead of me and got a little over excited. Lesson learned......

p.s. fuel was ok so sounds like the rev limited had kicked in

Alls well that ends well!