Sponsored by:

Own parts & remap vs Package

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2006, 08:50 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Own parts & remap vs Package

I've not been able to find a definitive answer to this on other threads, so here goes.

I already have the Ninja BB and a high flow panel filter.

If i was to buy the:
Ninja downpipe (£225), Ninja centre (£100) plus a new marlboro fuel pump (£100), then a remap (somewhere) - £600,

would that give the same power/torque and driveability as one of the "packages" (tsl/wrc/powerstation circa £2000) ??

The parts are almost the same, just don't want to sell everything i've got already, plus i thought it would save a few squids.
Old 20 April 2006, 09:56 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
I've not been able to find a definitive answer to this on other threads, so here goes.

I already have the Ninja BB and a high flow panel filter.

If i was to buy the:
Ninja downpipe (£225), Ninja centre (£100) plus a new marlboro fuel pump (£100), then a remap (somewhere) - £600,

would that give the same power/torque and driveability as one of the "packages" (tsl/wrc/powerstation circa £2000) ??

The parts are almost the same, just don't want to sell everything i've got already, plus i thought it would save a few squids.
In a word, yes subject to qualifications!

If you're comparing a like for like package (in your case, decat, panel filter, fuel pump and remap) chances are they would produce comparable results on your car. Those mods shoud see you anywhere between 260-280bhp, with similar torque. The Td04 is going to be the next restriction on power gains and its runs inefficiently at higher boost at higher engine speeds. The most important things are that a) you choose quality components b) You choose your mapper carefully, as this is the person who brings the mods together. If you're in the SE, I'm trying to get togehter a GB on Andy F's services btw

Ns04
Old 20 April 2006, 10:34 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
In a word, yes subject to qualifications!

If you're comparing a like for like package (in your case, decat, panel filter, fuel pump and remap) chances are they would produce comparable results on your car. Those mods shoud see you anywhere between 260-280bhp, with similar torque. The Td04 is going to be the next restriction on power gains and its runs inefficiently at higher boost at higher engine speeds. The most important things are that a) you choose quality components b) You choose your mapper carefully, as this is the person who brings the mods together. If you're in the SE, I'm trying to get togehter a GB on Andy F's services btw

Ns04
You're kidding right. 260 - 280bhp? That's for the classic, not newage i presume (265 standard). The packages are offering 320-330.

Didn't you get the Ninja downpipe?

I'm located north of the border.
Old 20 April 2006, 11:26 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I assume you have a new age STi?
Old 20 April 2006, 11:40 AM
VJ_STi
Scooby Regular

You're kidding right. 260 - 280bhp? That's for the classic, not newage i presume (265 standard). The packages are offering 320-330.

Gaz

I would guess the answer would still be yes. Hopefully I will know this Saturday. I have a 53 STi with
3" H&S exhaust with Sports cat DP & decat centre
Green panel filter

Having :-
255ltr/h Fuel pump fitted
Poss 3 port boost solenoid
Remap at PS

Hoping to get circa 320/320 - can't bloody wait
Old 20 April 2006, 11:42 AM
Liddy
Scooby Regular

Interesting scenario this one. Own parts and map Vs Package.

I have an 03 STi and bought a RCM decat, uprated fuel pump and Ecu-tec remap by Engine Tuner/ Alan Jeffries in Plymouth. Total coast was £1390, rolling road showed 329/317.

I have it booked in again at Engine Tuner to put in some of Harveys Headers and am very much looking forward to seeing what those bad boys will do.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 20 April 2006, 12:59 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by VJ_STi
Gaz

I would guess the answer would still be yes. Hopefully I will know this Saturday. I have a 53 STi with
3" H&S exhaust with Sports cat DP & decat centre
Green panel filter

Having :-
255ltr/h Fuel pump fitted
Poss 3 port boost solenoid
Remap at PS

Hoping to get circa 320/320 - can't bloody wait
VJ, drop us a PM and let me know how you get on.

Trending Topics

Old 20 April 2006, 01:00 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
I assume you have a new age STi?
Your assumptions are correct. It says below my ID, in the location section.
Old 20 April 2006, 01:02 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Liddy
Interesting scenario this one. Own parts and map Vs Package.

I have an 03 STi and bought a RCM decat, uprated fuel pump and Ecu-tec remap by Engine Tuner/ Alan Jeffries in Plymouth. Total coast was £1390, rolling road showed 329/317.

I have it booked in again at Engine Tuner to put in some of Harveys Headers and am very much looking forward to seeing what those bad boys will do.

I'll keep you posted.
So the price of seperate parts in your case was about £500 less than say the package at PS. That's the kinda saving i anticipated.

I've read another thread somewhere about these "harveys headers". Do tell. Who/what/where/how much.

Send us a PM if you want, always interested to find out.
Old 20 April 2006, 01:06 PM
New_scooby_04

D'oh- thought you had a WRX missed the bit about the Sti in your location, hence my coments about the TD04!!

Short answer, yes! The figures you aspire to should be acheiveable with those mods! (TSL's 333 package retains one cat, for example)

Again, choice of components and mapper is critical!!

Sorry for misundertanding!

Ns04
Old 20 April 2006, 01:39 PM
VJ_STi
Scooby Regular

VJ, drop us a PM and let me know how you get on.
Will do Gaz

Also interested in Liddy and what he will get from Harveys headers and if porting them will make that much difference. As I think headers will be my next step.

VJ
Old 20 April 2006, 05:59 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
D'oh- thought you had a WRX missed the bit about the Sti in your location, hence my coments about the TD04!!

Short answer, yes! The figures you aspire to should be acheiveable with those mods! (TSL's 333 package retains one cat, for example)

Again, choice of components and mapper is critical!!

Sorry for misundertanding!

Ns04
No worries mate. OK, with that news then, i can start the creep. Creep a downpipe through the letterbox next week, centre section the week after and so-on, so a £2000 bill doesn't present itself to the bread-knife.

Scott Lowe spoiler & 18's are this month too. Sweeeeet. I'll have the car i've wanted and it should be.

Now all i've gotta do is plan a trip to "the" mapper (quite tempted by PS, as i can get the Stage 1 handling kit at the same time) and then i've got to prise the keys out the wifeys hand and swap them for the vRS one.
Old 21 April 2006, 03:07 PM
Liddy
Scooby Regular

Gaz,

Harvey can be contacted through ScoobyNet or his email address is

harveysmith1@btopenworld.com

He's based in Darlington so I've dealt with him entirely by email as it's the other end of the country to me. I bought the complete kit from him, ported headers (wrapped) and o/e uppipe. All brand new and custom made for the sti. Am dying to see what changes it'll make but from threads i've seen a while back the people who've had them put on are ore than happy. Cost wise it'll send you back a tad over £400 but £100 is returnable once you've sent your original headers back to Harvey.

Both he and his products came highly recomended to me and come Monday lunchtime I'm sure I'll be continuing that trend. So far his service and knowledge have been first class especially for someone like me who has limited technical knowledge about the car. I simply love driving it.

Like you i have to keep my spending on the low, but once this has all been done next up is one of Harveys Hybrid FMIC!!!

Will let you know the results on Monday fellas!!!!!
Old 21 April 2006, 03:21 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

Gaz,

Harvey can be contacted through ScoobyNet or his email address is

harveysmith1@btopenworld.com

He's based in Darlington so I've dealt with him entirely by email as it's the other end of the country to me. I bought the complete kit from him, ported headers (wrapped) and o/e uppipe. All brand new and custom made for the sti. Am dying to see what changes it'll make but from threads i've seen a while back the people who've had them put on are ore than happy. Cost wise it'll send you back a tad over £400 but £100 is returnable once you've sent your original headers back to Harvey.

Both he and his products came highly recomended to me and come Monday lunchtime I'm sure I'll be continuing that trend. So far his service and knowledge have been first class especially for someone like me who has limited technical knowledge about the car. I simply love driving it.

Like you i have to keep my spending on the low, but once this has all been done next up is one of Harveys Hybrid FMIC!!!

Will let you know the results on Monday fellas!!!!!
Have you spoken to him by e-mail recently? I've been trying for a couple of weeks without success.

Anders
Old 23 April 2006, 02:33 PM
Liddy
Scooby Regular

Wouldnt have been anything recently. I'm aware he's a busy guy but he always replies to emails.
Old 23 April 2006, 04:24 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

Wouldnt have been anything recently. I'm aware he's a busy guy but he always replies to emails.
He must be on a long holiday