Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Newbie questions!

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2001, 04:51 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've noticed that a lot of people on here keep referring to ppp, as a complete newbie I can only guess (or Google can) that ppp= prodrive performance pack? Is that right?
I went to www.prodrive.co.uk and had a look for more info but couldn't find much.
My question is, is the ppp some sort of engine tuning mod and if so how does it compare to the extra 40bhp you'll get from www.superchips.co.uk for £350 excVAT
I'd be interested to hear the opinions of people who have had the ppp and others who have had the superchips mod.
Sorry to ask such a trivial question, but until last month I wasn't hooked on buying a Subaru as I am now.
Can anyone recommend a good site that explains more on the ppp?
Cheers

Old 24 October 2001, 05:05 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Check out the Drivers club site: www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm there's a fair bit on there that should answer your questions.

I'm no expert but the PPP is fitted by Prodrive (old shape cars) and doesn't invalidate your warranty. It's a new ECU, new intercooler pipework, exhaust back box and centre section. It develops about 240bhp ish and ups the tq considerably too (about 240ft/lbs). Because it's an official mod Prodrive can make lots of money on it and charge about £1900 (shop around and you can get it for about £1650 in places).

I have no experience of SuperChips save what I've read on here but I gather they are generally a bad thing to do to your Scoob. I'll let someone more knowledgeable go into detail though.

Other options are the Unichip and the Link. Both good bits of kit (each one with their own fanclub on this site) and cost anywhere between £500 and £1300 installed and mapped (the PPP has a fixed map). The important thing with these is to get them properly mapped by an expert (e.g. Bob Rawle at BRD is apparently THE Link man).

Do a search for PPP on here - there's loads of good gen floating about.

PS. don't be offended if one of the moderators locks this and moves it to the Drivetrain forum
Old 24 October 2001, 05:19 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, that link will keep me going for a few days!
I didn't realise that ppp also included a full exhaust system, that explains the price difference compared to superchips.
Old 24 October 2001, 05:27 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Welcome
The PPP is just for UK cars and you do get an exhaust thrown in along with a nice B/B and some nice intercooler piping it also adds value to your car which no other chip will do, but as said in the last post there have been bad experiences with superchips and alot of people wont use them, but if you wish to then do so but cheap aint always best especially if you want to buy a new engine at 5k+
Link is the other option you have, but thats around 650 quid also it wont give you as much as 40bhp (but then again its safe) but will give you much improvement across the range and its set up for your car
If you buy your car from a dealer with a subaru warranty then the only way for you to go if you dont want to invalidate it is with the PPP, its good as ive one fitted to my MY00 turbo and she pulls strongly in any gear where as before she was a little lacking but the exhaust sounds great if a little quiet under 4k but after that its like an F1 car
I think you wont get many good responses re superchips thou, you have more expensive but much safer options and my MY00 pushes out 250bhp and 250lbs of torque so im happy (in theory but ill tell you on sunday after the rolling road )

Tony