Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anybody with an MY06 complained to Subaru about the free £3700 increase in spec?

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2006, 09:45 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anybody with an MY06 complained to Subaru about the free £3700 increase in spec?

I picked up my car in March and have now seen the new WRX type UK on the subaru website which boasts:

FREE 5 YEARS WARRANTY
FREE 5 YEARS SERVICING
FREE 5 YEARS HOME AND ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE
FREE RAC TRACKSTAR WITH 1 YEAR FREE MEMBERSHIP
FREE SMARTNAV & TOUCHSCREEN INCLUDING 3 MONTHS FREE SAFESPEED
FREE BLUETOOTH HANDS-FREE KIT

£3700 of free stuff with no increase in screen price!

There was no mention of this when i ordered my car and it do it less than a month after the 06 reg came out i find a bit of a joke to be honest. Ok, we all know subaru change spec more than most change their underpants but this is going a bit too far offering it all for free.

If i could i'd give the bl**dy car back and go get the Audi i should have ordered in the first place.

I got an e-mail from Subaru this week too, or from this guy in particular...
Jon Nealon
Marketing Director
Subaru (UK) Limited
.... announcing this fantastic deal (which it would be if you didn't order the car for March delivery).

So i'll be writing a letter to Mr Nealon, i'm not going to just let this one go. I know most of the stuff doesn't really make much difference as the satnav stuff looks crap but the bluetooth would be useful, tracker too and the free servicing! Or maybe they should just give me £1700 worth of free stuff.... a PPP

Tony.
Old 15 April 2006, 09:51 AM
robsw
Scooby Regular

I would be rather peeved in your situation aswell.

Fingers crossed you get a result.
Old 15 April 2006, 09:55 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

to be honest tho, u go to asda and a pack of beer is £3.99,next day its on sale for £1.99, cant really expect them to refund the difference can you, its just luck, janauary sales stuff !
Old 15 April 2006, 10:05 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Rig
to be honest tho, u go to asda and a pack of beer is £3.99,next day its on sale for £1.99, cant really expect them to refund the difference can you, its just luck, janauary sales stuff !
LOL... if it was £2 difference i'd let it go, comparing this to shopping market prices is way way off the mark.

It's called looking after existing customers which most companies have no idea about, just getting new ones. Obviously this was done to increase the slow sales of MY06s, so the few that put the money up in the first place get a smack in the face from Subaru.... it seems in England as usual we'd just bend over and take this sort of sh*t, well this time i'm definately not!

Tony.
Old 15 April 2006, 10:05 AM
Castrol
Scooby Regular

its just luck
Or judgement as they do seem to start schemes around this time of year... 3 years free servicing in 2004, free PPP April/May 2005.
Old 15 April 2006, 10:07 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Castrol
Or judgement as they do seem to start schemes around this time of year... 3 years free servicing in 2004, free PPP April/May 2005.
Nothing to do with judgement. That was last year to shift stock of the 'old' model before the new one arrived. This is a new model, they have never done offers like this on a brand new model before iirc.

Tony.
Old 15 April 2006, 10:11 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I think people need to take note of this and just stop buying anything from Subaru UK, the importers offer far better value.
Old 15 April 2006, 10:11 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i agree matey, id be miffed too if i lost out on £3k of extras, cant see them worrying about it tho, as u know, dealers/manufacturers are kunts !
good luck tho, keep us informed if they buckle !!

cheers......
Old 15 April 2006, 10:14 AM
robsw
Scooby Regular

Like you said Tony, write him a nice letter, and go and see him in person shortly afterwards. If that doesn't get you a result you are happy with then try taking the matter to one of the other 'subaru uk directors' directly.

Robin.
Old 15 April 2006, 10:14 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
I think people need to take note of this and just stop buying anything from Subaru UK, the importers offer far better value.
It WILL be the last car i ever buy from Subaru UK... no doubt about that. Maybe even the last Subaru after over 6 years of ownership .

Tony.
Old 15 April 2006, 11:22 AM
tim's wrx
Scooby Regular

Why not write and complain to Subaru Europe about this situation.

Subaru UK need to stop tinkering around with gimmicky short term marketing strategies buying a few extra customers at the expense of existing customers. I seem to recall that Mazda did something similar a few years ago on the previous RX7 - they dropped the price and I'm sure that Mazda compensated customers who had recently purchased so there is maybe some precedent.
Old 15 April 2006, 11:45 AM
wolfie28
Scooby Regular

I had a similar situation to this 3 and a half years ago. I bought a brand new WRX from a dealer and got £3500 off list price cause the new model was due in. A friend bought one a couple of months previous and paid near full list price. Subaru did nothing for him when he complained . Most dealers won't mention forth coming deals because they have their quota of vehicles to sell even though they know a deal is on the horizon. I hope you have a better result, so best of luck with this Tony. Keep us posted.

Wolfie.

Last edited by wolfie28; 15 April 2006 at 11:49 AM.
Old 15 April 2006, 11:53 AM
steve05wrx
Scooby Regular

Hi
I would be very miffed as well.
At the end of the day - the extra kit they are offering only costs them a fraction of what the offer is worth to the customer.
By offering this kit they are probably trying to distance the UK cars from cheaper imported cars and preventing the punters from asking for similar discounts on the UK cars from the UK dealers.
But - I dont think you will get anywhere by complaining as it is totally up to International Motors how they spend the margin available on each car - adverts, offers, rebates etc.
That is why I bought an 05 spec parallel EU import WRX for around £5000 less than the UK price!
Good Luck - but I would not hold your breath.
Cheers
Steve
Old 15 April 2006, 11:54 AM
Castrol
Scooby Regular

This is a new model, they have never done offers like this on a brand new model before iirc.
New model or current; makes no difference. This time of year is when they run their offers...

Face it, car manufacturers do this all the time - low interest deals, extras for free, special models etc etc. Plus, if it's true the 06 Impreza isn't selling well, what should IMG do; ignore the fact and go bust or try and shift some cars with an offer?

It's tough luck for some and good news for others.
Old 15 April 2006, 12:04 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

All businesses alter the price of things. How many months later would you have been happy for subaru to have offered the extras most of which aren't really worth that much anyway. If you wanted a good deal perhaps you should have bought an EU import the money you saved could go towards the extras of your choice. PS EU ones come with 5year transmission warranty anyway so yet another example of UK buyers getting a raw deal
Old 15 April 2006, 12:13 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Tone Loc
It WILL be the last car i ever buy from Subaru UK... no doubt about that. Maybe even the last Subaru after over 6 years of ownership .

Tony.
Subaru needs to start looking after it's customers a little better. This has happened in the past with other marques and is a slap in the face for someone who buys just before the scheme is launched. Obviously it was in the pipeline before so why not make it explicit with some form of publicity. Stick to your guns Tony! Subaru owners show a lot of faith to the marque and this will not help.

Maz
Old 15 April 2006, 12:23 PM
davidpa
Scooby Regular

you are not alone. this similiar happened to me, i brought my car , and then the price of the new car was slashed and then started giving free ppp.

i must admit, my timing was not brilliant. but thats my problem when buying the car.
Old 15 April 2006, 12:28 PM
davidpa
Scooby Regular

Exactly. another voice of reason

Originally Posted by The Rig
Old 15 April 2006, 12:29 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by davidpa
you are not alone. this similiar happened to me, i brought my car , and then the price of the new car was slashed and then started giving free ppp.

i must admit, my timing was not brilliant. but thats my problem when buying the car.
Afternoon David!
Old 15 April 2006, 12:30 PM
davidpa
Scooby Regular

morning banny sti

i love to get up in the morning you know lol

rush downstairs and grab the paper. but i think i will log on a read Scoobynett instead

hows u?
Old 15 April 2006, 12:31 PM
davidpa
Scooby Regular

or maybe if i get up at this time ? im i classed as being chav?
Old 15 April 2006, 12:32 PM
subarustel
Scooby Regular

Location: m25 and surroundin areas......need 500+horses again!!!

i've had new car queries, and subaru didnt do much about it, though if u complain now, and dont wait around they will probably give u a couple of services 4 free.

try writing 2 subaru uk customer services. this should help
Old 15 April 2006, 12:33 PM
davidpa
Scooby Regular

i think they are based somewhere in west bromwich arent they?
Old 15 April 2006, 12:33 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by davidpa
morning banny sti

i love to get up in the morning you know lol

rush downstairs and grab the paper. but i think i will log on a read Scoobynett instead

hows u?
Fine thanks, just about ready to face the chores the day has in store. happy surfing mate. Laters.
Old 15 April 2006, 12:34 PM
davidpa
Scooby Regular

laters.

happy surfing lol and you
Old 15 April 2006, 12:42 PM
MarkGArgyle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tone Loc

Tony.
I too would be miffed, and you have nothing to lose and everything to gain from complaining.

It is these reports that made me buy an EU-import... (and of course the huge saving which my dealer was unable to get close to ).

Write a complaint and keep us posted as to how you get on...
Old 15 April 2006, 02:51 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Tone,
Write to Subaru UK's Managing Director.

Mr Peter Kinnaird,
Subaru UK Ltd,
Ryder Street,
West Bromwhich,
West Midlands,
B70 0EJ

Cheers
MTR
Old 15 April 2006, 03:20 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Thats a hell of a lot of free extras!!

I'd be well hacked off if I bought just before that lot was thrown in!

On the other hand Subaru are probably really stuggling to shift those MY06's, and they clearly dont give a damn about residual values of their cars (if they did they wouldnt go changing the specs/face-lifting models every other month...)

I'd be surprised if you got anything out of them to be honest. Next time just get an Audi or BMW - they wouldnt pull that sort of trick... on the other hand youre looking at pretty much double the price of an MY06 for an Audi or BMW with performance to match an My06 WRX.....
Old 15 April 2006, 03:43 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
I'd be surprised if you got anything out of them to be honest. Next time just get an Audi or BMW - they wouldnt pull that sort of trick...
Yawn.
Old 15 April 2006, 08:49 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MTR
Tone,
Write to Subaru UK's Managing Director.

Mr Peter Kinnaird,
Subaru UK Ltd,
Ryder Street,
West Bromwhich,
West Midlands,
B70 0EJ

Cheers
MTR
Cheers for that, i'll send the letter to him too.

We'll see what happens and i'll keep everybody posted. I know what people are saying about it's tough etc etc but other marques certainly don't do this as frequently as Subaru, so at least if we complain they know how we feel... may not make a single bit of difference but hey ho.

Tony.

Quick Reply: Has anybody with an MY06 complained to Subaru about the free £3700 increase in spec?