Some of the best driving roads in the North

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2006, 04:53 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some of the best driving roads in the North

Anyone in the North take note.

Filled up my car this afternoon in Darlington, and drove along the A66 till I got to Brough. Turned off and went over the top of the Pennines towards `Middleton in Teesdale`. What a road, absolutely fantastic. Just totally cained in along there. Rarely got it into 5th, just used 3rd & 4th. It's a very twisty, hilly back road (those who know it will know what I mean). Once in `Middleton in teesdale` head towards Ashton. Again what a road. Constantly either on full throttle, or stamping on the brakes (which held up remarkably well considering the abuse), more twists and turns than you could shake a stick at.
Never been on the Ashton road before, but needless to say, I'll be back.
Afternoons like this, make driving such a pleasure. Roads were almost deserted apart from a few trains of bikers, and the odd slow car (dispensed of rather quickly). No speed camera's, no police cars, just fantastic roads being driven in a fantastic car.
Once in Ashton, just turned round and went back the same way. 139miles in total and cost me £37.50 in Petrol. Money well spent.

Anyone near there who hasn't been on those roads, I suggest you give them a try. You won't be disappointed. In fact, I might go again Monday.

Watch out for straying sheep though. One walked right into the road while I was doing about 90mph. JJJJJust missed it.

Last edited by stilover; 14 April 2006 at 05:04 PM.
Old 14 April 2006, 05:17 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by stilover

Watch out for straying sheep though. One walked right into the road while I was doing about 60mph. JJJJJust missed it.
Edited for reasons of accuracy!
Old 14 April 2006, 05:26 PM
Greatnorth
Scooby Regular

Mine is

Set off from aycliffe blast down the A1 a steady pace to get the car warm. turn off at scotch corner then take the sharp turn straight after towards richmond. theres a fine left corner a shortly and always produces a long screech everytime. follow the signs to reeth, the roads are brilliant, sweeping with lots of turns and scenery spectacuar as you drive up the valley. pass reeth which where most of bikers and aged drivers stop and continue along more of the sameuntil you hit a tiny hamlet called "low Row" just as you enter theres a small turning up a very steep hill which really gets the engine labouring and you'll get some good acoustic once at the top its a tarmac roads accross the moors where you can see for miles so its just a case of going as fast as you dare and imagine your in a rally SS! you'll pass through a small ford about half way in to this leg which I always go through as fast as i can (child in me). Stop soon after and take time to admire the view (if thats your thing, I normally have a smoke and let the car chill for a bit) then its downhill down the side of the valley with more of the same. you will eventually come to a junction, turn left here travel for about 350 metres (you'll pass a house with a scooby parked outside its always parked there on my runs) then turn left onto more sweeping moorland with some nice crests to get some air and churn the passengers stomachs, again the roads are empty and you can see for miles so just drive as crazy as you want. Eventually you see a sign that says welcome to county durham (I've passed this before and theres been clouds here; so its quite high) then the road dips down again. be careful about 500 metres after the sign the road has a 90 right into a 90 left (I once spun on the second bend) then its a steep downhill straight so just floor it and the combination of gravity and a turbo charged engine will make the acceleration sublime. again be carefull to curb your speed towards the bottom or you'll jump about 20 feet high!! the road turns continues with more lovely bends and smooth tarmac the road seems to clam down as you near the "end" of the sporting section with softer bends. You will come to a main road after passing over a large bridge (river) turn right and drive home with your heart still thumping, you've just joined the A66 at gretna bridge.

You will LOVE IT mate!!! round trip of about 60-70 miles IIRC.
Old 14 April 2006, 05:28 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Edited for reasons of accuracy!

It was about 90mph. I don't need to lie.

Did I mention I have a 12" ****
Old 14 April 2006, 05:35 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Greatnorth
Mine is

Set off from aycliffe blast down the A1 a steady pace to get the car warm. turn off at scotch corner then take the sharp turn straight after towards richmond. theres a fine left corner a shortly and always produces a long screech everytime. follow the signs to reeth, the roads are brilliant, sweeping with lots of turns and scenery spectacuar as you drive up the valley. pass reeth which where most of bikers and aged drivers stop and continue along more of the sameuntil you hit a tiny hamlet called "low Row" just as you enter theres a small turning up a very steep hill which really gets the engine labouring and you'll get some good acoustic once at the top its a tarmac roads accross the moors where you can see for miles so its just a case of going as fast as you dare and imagine your in a rally SS! you'll pass through a small ford about half way in to this leg which I always go through as fast as i can (child in me). Stop soon after and take time to admire the view (if thats your thing, I normally have a smoke and let the car chill for a bit) then its downhill down the side of the valley with more of the same. you will eventually come to a junction, turn left here travel for about 350 metres (you'll pass a house with a scooby parked outside its always parked there on my runs) then turn left onto more sweeping moorland with some nice crests to get some air and churn the passengers stomachs, again the roads are empty and you can see for miles so just drive as crazy as you want. Eventually you see a sign that says welcome to county durham (I've passed this before and theres been clouds here; so its quite high) then the road dips down again. be careful about 500 metres after the sign the road has a 90 right into a 90 left (I once spun on the second bend) then its a steep downhill straight so just floor it and the combination of gravity and a turbo charged engine will make the acceleration sublime. again be carefull to curb your speed towards the bottom or you'll jump about 20 feet high!! the road turns continues with more lovely bends and smooth tarmac the road seems to clam down as you near the "end" of the sporting section with softer bends. You will come to a main road after passing over a large bridge (river) turn right and drive home with your heart still thumping, you've just joined the A66 at gretna bridge.

You will LOVE IT mate!!! round trip of about 60-70 miles IIRC.
Know the Reeth roads very well mate like you say, some fantastic roads.

Those of you thinking of buying a STI from Petch in Richmond, would do well to take those roads when having a test drive.
Old 14 April 2006, 06:47 PM
New_scooby_04

That'll be an advantage when you're in prision for speeding!!!

Ns04
Old 14 April 2006, 07:53 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

you'll mean the ALSTON road.................been there for years, nice biking road, go out the other side towards Penrith and over the top of Hartstone you'll find a cafe..........best mug of hot chocolate anywhere!!

alyn

Trending Topics

Old 14 April 2006, 08:16 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

penny still not dropped has it 'I was doing 60mph officer, honest '
Old 14 April 2006, 08:48 PM
STi Lou
Scooby Regular

Both routes sound mega. We went for a small drive the other day and found the North pennines, went through frosterly onto the penines and dammm it was good. Open roads, quality bends for me to learn my trade in the scoob, not fully aware of her capabilities yet. But anyway found ourselves in penrith in no time at all.
I can only suggest we do the decent thing and when the time is right we meet up and do one of the routes mentioned if anyone in the darlo area is interested.
cheers Sean
Old 14 April 2006, 08:50 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stockcar
you'll mean the ALSTON road.................been there for years, nice biking road, go out the other side towards Penrith and over the top of Hartstone you'll find a cafe..........best mug of hot chocolate anywhere!!

alyn
Yes, Alston. Sorry

Was going to go to Penrith from there, but as I've never been on the road before, I didn't want to risk getting caught up in all the Easter holiday traffic in Penrith, or can you miss Penrith out completely ???
Old 14 April 2006, 08:51 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by simo
penny still not dropped has it 'I was doing 60mph officer, honest '
The B@stards would have to catch me first !!!!

The Bandit.
Old 14 April 2006, 09:08 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Raid across the border route

Carlisle to gretna /eastriggs Annan then to Lockerbie then to Eskdale muir road to Langholm then to Cannonbie then newcastleton then Keilder then bellingham back along the military road then back to Carlisle

146 miles

on a 68 mile stretch off it I saw only 2 cars

thats one of my routes as part of my <small> private estate

try Brampton to Alston then over nenthead /wolsingham then Durham

You cant beat a scoob round the wistys
Old 14 April 2006, 09:13 PM
graeme.
Scooby Regular

You are right, some great roads up here !!

And the wife wants to move to Norfolk !! Not a hill in sight......

Too many great roads to mention. If you fancy a trip north of the border, the Selkirk to Moffat road in Bonny Scotland has got to be one of the best in the UK. Long flowing twisties with great views. I once heard "someone" travelled at about 80 - 100mph for mile after mile. Of course, we couldn't condone that sort of speed, it's illegal !

Follow the A68, and just after Carter Bar, turn left and follow the A6088 to Hawick. Then take the A7 to Selkirk.Turn off and follow the A708 to Moffat (great cafe at St Mary's Loch). Follow the A74(M) south back into England, and home.

Not a cop car in sight and and you make progress right up to the "Scooby speed limit"

Great stuff.

Regards,
Graeme.
Old 15 April 2006, 12:02 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi Lou
Both routes sound mega. We went for a small drive the other day and found the North pennines, went through frosterly onto the penines and dammm it was good. Open roads, quality bends for me to learn my trade in the scoob, not fully aware of her capabilities yet. But anyway found ourselves in penrith in no time at all.
I can only suggest we do the decent thing and when the time is right we meet up and do one of the routes mentioned if anyone in the darlo area is interested.
cheers Sean
Count me in Sean. I'm up for that Wonder if Greatnorth would be up for it as well ??

What scooby do you drive. I'm in a Blue 05 STI, gold PFF7 alloys. You'll find me mostly in the Shell garage on Woodlands road

Actually, the more I think about it, the better it sounds. Afterall, all the bikers do it, so why not us ??
Old 15 April 2006, 01:58 PM
Greatnorth
Scooby Regular

For sure gents.

lets make the hills come alive with the sound of Scoobies!
Old 16 April 2006, 06:22 PM
STi Lou
Scooby Regular

Stilover- rendez-vous at woodlands road then to fill up before setting off to the pennines, meeting up with greatnorth on the way!

Sounds mega! Was up there today doing the routes you were discussing, stopped in Alston for a while and thouroughly enjoyed the drive, sunshine and to top it all the scenery is breathtaking.

Name a day guys, lets (and I quote from greatnorth) "make the hills come alive with the sound of scoobies"

Look forward to it, lou and Sean.

P.S 05 STI standard atm......

Last edited by STi Lou; 16 April 2006 at 06:26 PM.
Old 16 April 2006, 06:29 PM
Castrol
Scooby Regular

Some of the best driving roads in the North
Stop it! Stop it! Stop it! Stop telling everyone. We don't want bloody Southerners coming up and clogging our roads. Let them clogg their own. Oh yes, they already have...
Old 16 April 2006, 07:04 PM
speye91
Scooby Regular

my well kept secret has been found
Old 16 April 2006, 07:06 PM
speye91
Scooby Regular

loads ov $haggin places up there to.........NO NOT WITH THE SHEEP!
Old 16 April 2006, 07:36 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi Lou
Stilover- rendez-vous at woodlands road then to fill up before setting off to the pennines, meeting up with greatnorth on the way!

Sounds mega! Was up there today doing the routes you were discussing, stopped in Alston for a while and thouroughly enjoyed the drive, sunshine and to top it all the scenery is breathtaking.

Name a day guys, lets (and I quote from greatnorth) "make the hills come alive with the sound of scoobies"

Look forward to it, lou and Sean.

P.S 05 STI standard atm......
Debating whether to go up tomorrow (Monday), all really depends on the weather though.

Was that your Blue STI at the Shell garage on Saturday lunch time-ish ??? You drove down Stanhope road to get to Woodlands road ??? If it was, I was parked up at the Spar shop on Duke street when you went by.

If it's not raining, and it's not going to all day then give me a ring in the morning (11am- ish) if you fancy going up there. I'll even drive slowly so you can keep up

I've sent you a PM with my mobile number.
Old 16 April 2006, 08:08 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Run over the hills :d

I fancy a decent blast some day

care to organise one ?

as I haven't time to after the NBO
Old 16 April 2006, 08:16 PM
STi Lou
Scooby Regular

If the weathers good tomorrow, we are good to go.

Wasn't us at shell yesterday, we actually had a day off from there

Fingers crossed for tomorrow then and i'll give you a call.

Sent you a PM.

Anyone else up for it?

Last edited by STi Lou; 16 April 2006 at 08:23 PM.
Old 16 April 2006, 08:41 PM
speye91
Scooby Regular

I may be up 4 it
Old 16 April 2006, 09:26 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speye91
I may be up 4 it
Well, those who are up for it tomorrow better start PM'ing phone numbers. Sean's got mine, and I've got his. I'll check my messges in the morning just in case.
I think the best thing to do is once on the road, select meeting up points along the way, as not everyone will want/can go at the same pace. Say, start off at brough. Meet at Middleton in Teesdale. Set off for Alston and meet up again at Alston.
I know that Sean is bringing his wife and kids, so he may not want to go hell for leather. Having meeting points allows us to have a chat along the way.

Weather permitting it should be a good day out.
Old 17 April 2006, 09:57 AM
STi Lou
Scooby Regular

Weather is starting to look good